advice on whether or not to buy salvage car for parts

godfearingman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an 94 GT car that's been totaled for the transmission and related part's I'll need to do a swap in my 94 auto plus the interior as well. I know no one can tell me with 100% certainty that the transmission and related parts I need are still good just wanting others with experience with this that can give me an idea whether or not they think the transmission and other part may be ok? Thanks in advance!

24875417013_374cb3ee6b_z.jpg
[/URL]back driver by mustangnick73, on Flickr[/IMG]

24871610774_b07ce570a4_z.jpg
[/URL]Door by mustangnick73, on Flickr[/IMG]

24875417013_11d49ba7f6_o.png
[/URL]back driver by mustangnick73, on Flickr[/IMG]

25476046656_62ef17127b_o.png
[/URL]inside by mustangnick73, on Flickr[/IMG]

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I need them seats!!! Those seats are nearly impossible to find. They look good, but one would think the busted windows have weathered them. Nice score though! I say if you have the cash, buy it!

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I need them seats!!! Those seats are nearly impossible to find. They look good, but one would think the busted windows have weathered them. Nice score though! I say if you have the cash, buy it!

Lol I'm more concerned whether or not the transmission may be bad or good than the seats and interior but need everything.

neverenuff

Reaction score
If the price is right, buy it. I doubt the transmission is damaged from the look of the impact. You can sell the wheels and passenger side parts to recoup some of the $$

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jgehret

Reaction score
Looks to be ok. Since it appears to be an insurance salvage auction car go check it out. There's honestly no way of knowing if the trans is good or not. If you can get it cheap enough, buy it. Take what you need off of it, part out the rest. It's possible you'll actually make a few bucks in the end.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I know there's no way too know for sure just wanting others opinion on whether or not y'all thought it might be. As far as the parts I can use basically all of them myself mine's the same color that's another reason I was waiting to buy it.

nitroram33

Reaction score
Bought a wreck to do the swap in my friend's car and it saved a ton of time and money sourcing everything, though his needed a lot more than just the trans stuff after sitting for a decade. :lol:

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Bought a wreck to do the swap in my friend's car and it saved a ton of time and money sourcing everything, though his needed a lot more than just the trans stuff after sitting for a decade. :lol:

Well this one has only been sitting since September so shouldn't have t worry about that.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I meant my friend's car had been sitting for a decade lol, we wound up swappinh gas tanks, struts, steering columns and a whole lot more...

I'm planning on stripping it down to a shell if I can get it don't know when I'll need one of the parts

RichV

Reaction score
Shoot, it may even start and roll enough to know if it's good.

Kinda like the wheels on it. I'm sure you could easily recoup what you spent, interior looks great. Pus motor/suspension/wheels/brakes, etc.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Shoot, it may even start and roll enough to know if it's good.

Kinda like the wheels on it. I'm sure you could easily recoup what you spent, interior looks great. Pus motor/suspension/wheels/brakes, etc.

That's what I'm looking at I'm planning on removing every last part I can use already have a buddy wanting the wheels if there in good shape and I can buy the car.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
well I don't think I'll be getting the car it'll be around $2000-$3000 all said and done getting it home don't think it's worth that.

nitroram33

Reaction score
No, not worth it. Check copart, we only paid about a grand for the one we picked up and it was running and driving (albeit with a bent rear axle so it was just driving on and off the trailer lol).

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
No, not worth it. Check copart, we only paid about a grand for the one we picked up and it was running and driving (albeit with a bent rear axle so it was just driving on and off the trailer lol).

Thanks I already have and a couple of other site's they all have about the same inventory but not many close to NC most of them are in other states that time you pay for the car to transported its not worth buying and I don't have a truck or trailer. I found another one on craigslist that's been wrecked the core support is twisted there asking $1500 don't think its worth it either I'll post pictures of it if y'all are willing to give me advice on it as well.

nitroram33

Reaction score
Thanks I already have and a couple of other site's they all have about the same inventory but not many close to NC most of them are in other states that time you pay for the car to transported its not worth buying and I don't have a truck or trailer. I found another one on craigslist that's been wrecked the core support is twisted there asking $1500 don't think its worth it either I'll post pictures of it if y'all are willing to give me advice on it as well.

Copart has one in China Grove, NC. Worth keeping a eye out...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
keep your eyes open I got my parts car for $1100 including delivery an hour away. IT was running but shifting rough and he said it had a trans issue. Having it was absolutely invaluable in my project from stripping stuff off to selling little bits and pieces on here and locally when I saw people wanted something I could pick off of it. I took a LOT off of that car and sold it to a buddy that later spent very little time to fix the tranny and then resold it as running but needing parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online