advice on whether or not to buy salvage car for parts

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well to tell ya the truth that isn't far from the car I was going to get. It had less damage but he was going to pull the motor which I didn't need and I think it was for $1400. He said he was going to pull the motor and would call/text when it was done. No big deal for me since I needed to send my for some frame work first. A month later when I was ready for the parts car he still had not pulled the motor when the other nicer parts car for less popped up.

This has been going on for a while now and I forgot the parts that you were wanting. What interior parts are you wanting? You can get a used tranny from a local shop possibly with a short warranty on it for not huge money so unless you need nearly the entire interior I am not sure your going do come out ahead unless you can sell a lot of other parts and not sure what is left on the one shown. Like I said what interior parts are you wanting?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
well to tell ya the truth that isn't far from the car I was going to get. It had less damage but he was going to pull the motor which I didn't need and I think it was for $1400. He said he was going to pull the motor and would call/text when it was done. No big deal for me since I needed to send my for some frame work first. A month later when I was ready for the parts car he still had not pulled the motor when the other nicer parts car for less popped up.

This has been going on for a while now and I forgot the parts that you were wanting. What interior parts are you wanting? You can get a used tranny from a local shop possibly with a short warranty on it for not huge money so unless you need nearly the entire interior I am not sure your going do come out ahead unless you can sell a lot of other parts and not sure what is left on the one shown. Like I said what interior parts are you wanting?

Well I need the transmission and other related parts I'll need to do a transmission swap as far as the interior I need front seats and working tracks someone previously installed some UGLY black and yellow racing seats. There not very comfortable and not level sit back towards the rear of the car.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
In that case unless you find a smoking deal on a car you know has a good tranny I would probably source the tranny from a local place that can say it was pulled from a running car and will give you at least some kind of 7 day guarantee or what ever little bit is possible. If your are absolutely stuck on keeping the seats stock keep your eyes open as there are plenty of people that upgrade them and then like myself find I could not give my seats away after. I ended up stripping/selling the tracks and taking the lumbar out and putting it my new seat but as a complete stock seat I could not get $50 for them. There are plenty available in the aftermarket as well or even just get them recovered and you have the ability to customize them and make them what you want/cool(assuming they are not horribly uncomfortable). But For a tranny and seats again unless you find something guaranteed running for a smoking deal that you can make your money back parting out I think your opening a HUGE can of worms with a parts car out front.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
In that case unless you find a smoking deal on a car you know has a good tranny I would probably source the tranny from a local place that can say it was pulled from a running car and will give you at least some kind of 7 day guarantee or what ever little bit is possible. If your are absolutely stuck on keeping the seats stock keep your eyes open as there are plenty of people that upgrade them and then like myself find I could not give my seats away after. I ended up stripping/selling the tracks and taking the lumbar out and putting it my new seat but as a complete stock seat I could not get $50 for them. There are plenty available in the aftermarket as well or even just get them recovered and you have the ability to customize them and make them what you want/cool(assuming they are not horribly uncomfortable). But For a tranny and seats again unless you find something guaranteed running for a smoking deal that you can make your money back parting out I think your opening a HUGE can of worms with a parts car out front.

I understand all that and the risk but I'll easily spend $1000 getting a transmission and all the related I'll need to do the swap so figured I'd come out cheaper in the long run buying a factory 94-95 v8 manual car so I'll have all the necessary parts in one place instead f trying to source every last part I'll need. As far as the seats go like I said I HATE the UGLY yellow and black racing seats that's in it now especially when it came with nice black leather seats that's what the back seat is. I could easily spwnd $1000-$1500 buying all the necessary transmission swap parts as well as factory leather and or cloth seats at least around here people are way overpriced on there parts but that's what I have to pay here.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I did my manual transmission swap for $500.
[MENTION=20223]SN90FiveOh[/MENTION] did his swap from junkyard pieces and had less than $250 in his swap.

Then again, Ive told you all of this already.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I did my manual transmission swap for $500.
[MENTION=20223]SN90FiveOh[/MENTION] did his swap from junkyard pieces and had less than $250 in his swap.

Then again, Ive told you all of this already.

And like I said parts around here aren't cheap the transmission itself is $150 at a pick n pull yard that's not including all the other related parts I'll need the bell housing if it doesn't come with transmission is about the same price as the transmission itself if not more so I don't see me doing it for $250 nor $500 all said and done.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What is your budget here? How much are you expecting to sell/make off of the rest of the parts to offset the $1500 for the one your looking at? For $1500 you can get yourself some nice seats and a known good tranny vs $1500 - xxx(for parts sold) = an unknown tranny and 20 yr old seats and the work taking it out yourself, finding/setting up/making/shipping parts deals. So I guess really how much is the budget and what is your time worth?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
What is your budget here? How much are you expecting to sell/make off of the rest of the parts to offset the $1500 for the one your looking at? For $1500 you can get yourself some nice seats and a known good tranny vs $1500 - xxx(for parts sold) = an unknown tranny and 20 yr old seats and the work taking it out yourself, finding/setting up/making/shipping parts deals. So I guess really how much is the budget and what is your time worth?

I have maybe $1000 as of now could possibly get to around $1200-$1500 by end of next month the time I spend doesn't bother since I really enjoy working on car's especially mustangs. I thought I had found a set of black leather seats for $300 with seat tracks on Facebook but now he's saying someone is supposed to be buying the whole car now. Can y'all give me a list of all the parts I'll need to do a manual swap? I think I already know but wanting to verify beforehand so I won't be in the middle of doing the swap to realize I need a part then have to drive back to the pick n pull yard which is around 70-80 miles away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online