Advise on smog pump

Demolisher

Reaction score
DO i need it on my car ? if i dont put it on will it affect my cars performance?

Downshift

Reaction score
Haha dude you only need to post it once someone will answer you. Depends on where you live. All it does is blow air into two tubes. One goes to your mid pipe in your exhaust to, from what I have heard, help the cats do their job better, and the other goes to a tube that runs to the back of each cylinder head. If you have smog tests liek here in california more than likely you will need it at smog time. Thats about as much as I know about it.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
Ya i no but i couldnt move the thread thats y i posted it twice . And i live down here in the valley like way deep down tx so i wouldnt need it andit wouldnt affect my hp?

Downshift

Reaction score
If anything it might help a little. I would leave it for now unless you already have an offroad h or x pipe. But its up to you. Just if you do it make sure you plug to holes it makes.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
What do u mean plug the wholes like cover the emtpy space its gonna leave :noes:

ryclef331

Reaction score
ok...the smog pump SUCKS exhaust gas from the x pipe and pushes it INTO the back of the heads. You can ditch the WHOLE THING with no ill effects. There will be a metal tube that comes off the back of the heads, this needs to get plugged. You're a big boy....figure that out. Rubber caps on the bungs of the tubes work or if you can get back there, you can put a plug in the heads themselves. You also have to plug the hole on the mid pipe set up or else it will be one BIG ASS exhaust leak. I don't remember there being any vaccum lines. All my shit is LONG gone (egr, smog, etc) but if there are, make sure you plug them as well. This can ALL be done without tripping a check engine light. The only REAL benefit is a cleaned up engine bay in my book.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
Honestly im new to stangs this is my first one and i dont understand what you want me to plug up so i guess im gonna have to figure it out thanks for the help :police:

ryclef331

Reaction score
Honestly man, its hard to explain. Pretty much anything that is connected to the smog pump GOES. If it doesn't come off easily, then it gets plugged.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
nvm im gonna leave it on nvm but thanx for the help :pimp:

Stangbangin

Reaction score
Smog pump isn't a big deal to take out. Get the smog pump elimnator bracket that comes with the pulleys. It'll use your stock belt....Plug the holes from where you took the hoses off..and your done. It might not help that much... but it weighs 6 lbs according to my scale.. and 6 lbs is 6 lbs...also a PUMP has to be causing some parasitic drag off the crank right??? I would tihnk a little. I say bite the bullet and ditch that sucker...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online