Aftermarket head unit install help please

Reaction score
I bought a simple BOSS aftermarket head unit, digital media player, no CD or anything. I went to best buy and they gave me the wrong harness & install kit. I've been looking online for what I need to hook this up, info is vague but some people say to use the Scosche C4FDK5 harness that looks like it has some kind of in-line converter or something & it's like $40, other people say the Metra 70-5511 harness works & it's much cheaper. I just want to listen to my Bluetooth and to get rid of those ugly green lights from the factory radio & CD player lol

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I have a 96 with the mach 460, the factory radio/tape deck & CD player are still in it. I want to eliminate the CD player and just have my new head unit while still using the factory amps

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
96 is that with the two din slots or the single double din slot? Sounds like the two din openening - well you can replace the cd player in the same spot the factory cd player and play it through the mach amps but you are not going to retain the use/function of the cassette player. You do not need the more expensive harness with the electronics built in the cheaper one should work fine. If you want to be more sure you are ordering the correct harness It is really easy to pull the stock deck out of the car to see what the harness looks like behind it to confirm its size/shape.

Again if this is the two din sized openings I have a stock din pocket that slides into one of the spots and allows for handy storage of stuff you later want to collect from the back seat/floor area.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott, 94-00 all had the two single dins. Some just came with the nifty pocket on the bottom instead of the CD player.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Yeah, I just want to get rid of both the radio/tape deck & the CD player on the bottom. This is what the factory plugs look like, a bigger gray rectangular one & a smaller black square plug (actually there's 2 square plugs but I think one goes to the CD player) so hopefully I can just color match the wires and it'll work.
653164183d6a5d167109423445701e81.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes that is correct it is as simple as red/red yellow/yellow ect. Be sure to hook up the remote turn on on the deck(either blue or blue/white depending on what brand) to the amp turn on on the aftermarket harness. You will probably notice that the tweeters will be the weak point of the system as they will start to distort before the other speakers. You can add some bass blockers/capacitors to them to help this if you want by just getting some 1000 microfarad caps and wiring them in the speaker wires next to the radio.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Thanks bro! I'm gonna order the harness and hopefully it works out.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
i have some of the lower pockets if you need one to replace the cd. also some of the install kits have them in it.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Yeah, I just want to get rid of both the radio/tape deck & the CD player on the bottom. This is what the factory plugs look like, a bigger gray rectangular one & a smaller black square plug (actually there's 2 square plugs but I think one goes to the CD player) so hopefully I can just color match the wires and it'll work.
653164183d6a5d167109423445701e81.jpg

Make sure the harness has rca jacks at the end of the 8 peg black plug. If not it just bypasses the amps. Wont work. The ones with just plain wire are for non mach. And definitely don't forget remote wire. My gals 6er gave me issues after three harnesses finally got it. Oh and make sure the new head unit has at minimum 4 amp out rca spots or you'll be lacking some speakers . Unless you spend more cash and get a female to male splitter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Make sure the harness has rca jacks at the end of the 8 peg black plug. If not it just bypasses the amps. Wont work. The ones with just plain wire are for non mach. And definitely don't forget remote wire. My gals 6er gave me issues after three harnesses finally got it. Oh and make sure the new head unit has at minimum 4 amp out rca spots or you'll be lacking some speakers . Unless you spend more cash and get a female to male splitter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Crap, I got a cheap head unit that only has 1 set of rca inputs. Stupid mach systems lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The small black square harness is the input for the amp no matter if it has the rca jacks or wire. If you use the RCA inputs you will more then likely find the output of the new deck to be very very low no matter how much you turn it up because the stock amps are use to a higher/hotter voltage output from the deck. You can solve this by buying a line driver, or just using the speaker level outputs on the deck and get about the same results.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
yes that is correct it is as simple as red/red yellow/yellow ect. Be sure to hook up the remote turn on on the deck(either blue or blue/white depending on what brand) to the amp turn on on the aftermarket harness. You will probably notice that the tweeters will be the weak point of the system as they will start to distort before the other speakers. You can add some bass blockers/capacitors to them to help this if you want by just getting some 1000 microfarad caps and wiring them in the speaker wires next to the radio.
I got the install kit but the harness from my new head unit doesn't have a wire labeled for the amp, the harness going to the car does
0e83e0fec16090972aaf475444a2770a.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmm interesting. It should be the blue wire but the power ant flag throws things off. You can try the blue wire, worst case scenario is that the amp will only turn on with the radio on and not cd/aux and you would have to change it. If you do not want to gamble you can just connect the factory amp wire to the red accessory wire. In this case the amp will turn on/off with the key instead of the radio but its not a problem everything will still work as normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online