Aftermarket head unit only turns on after battery disconnected and reconnected.

Clutchmaster2005

Reaction score
Hello all. New member here. I have an issue with my 1998 Mustang GT. Originally the car came stock with the Mach460 system but the amps were not working properly and the sound was crap, so I installed four new speakers, bypassing the mach 460 system by running speaker wire to each speaker back to the aftermarket pioneer head unit that I installed. I also got the correct harness to power the head unit as well, and I have an amp and small 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk. Everything worked fine for about a month, however now when I start the car up, the head unit does not turn on. I removed the head unit and checked for power and found that there is power to the wires. When I hooked it back up. The radio worked. Here is where it gets strange. When I turn the car on, the radio doesn't come on and I cant turn it on manually, but when I disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and then turn the car on, the radio works.... for one time only. I have to repeat this process again. Anyone else have any similar issues, or do I just have a bum head unit? I've installed many head units before and never had an issue like this before. Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that would be a strange one. You had constant, switched and ground when you checked? Did you use a meter or test light to check?

Patientzero

Reaction score
If it worked correctly and now it doesn't either a connection came loose or the head unit is junk. I'd double check your battery, ignition, and ground wires. If those are good find that warranty phone number.

OP
OP
Clutchmaster2005

Clutchmaster2005

Reaction score
If it worked correctly and now it doesn't either a connection came loose or the head unit is junk. I'd double check your battery, ignition, and ground wires. If those are good find that warranty phone number.
I'm tending to think it's the head unit. I solder and heat shrink all connections, and made sure there was enough length of wire to ensure no pulling. Thanks for the replies!

OP
OP
Clutchmaster2005

Clutchmaster2005

Reaction score
just tell her you have more important things to do. If she gives you any crap then just tell her I told you to do it.
Haha the car might get violated in the middle of the night if I talk to her like that.

Can't figure out why for the life of me I am single.......

AStangThang

Reaction score
just tell her you have more important things to do. If she gives you any crap then just tell her I told you to do it. It's okay if your eyes wonder, but not a wondering 3rd member. I'm not a cheater, my mom got cheated on by her boyfriend about 5 years ago, and I got to see the damage it causes, it wasn't cool.

Can't figure out why for the life of me I am single.......
That's why I'm lucky to have a understanding women, whenever I'm messing with my cars she always has her girlfriends come over. Its a win win for me, she was a cheerleader in school, and has her cheerleading friends. I know I'm awful, I'm faithful, but my eyes cheat sometimes, okay okay...all the time:D.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
That's why I'm lucky to have a understanding women, whenever I'm messing with my cars she always has her girlfriends come over. Its a win win for me, she was a cheerleader in school, and has her cheerleading friends. I know I'm awful, I'm faithful, but my eyes cheat sometimes, okay okay...all the time:D.
You're together. You're not dead. Ain't nothing wrong with looking.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
If we eat the dessert then that means no dessert for you......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nooooooo! Not that!

Seriously though, it sounds like there's a breaker of some kind tripping in the head unit. If the harness is pinned correctly, the head unit is my first guess.

OP
OP
Clutchmaster2005

Clutchmaster2005

Reaction score
Pictures as promised. Everything is wired up correctly and heat shrink tubing was used. Just to confirm, before removing the radio, I turned the car on and the radio didnt come on. After only removing the power plugin from the back of the headunit and installing, as soon as I turned the key to on, the radio came on.

Attachments

• 20190224_150359.jpg
    20190224_150359.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190224_150259.jpg
    20190224_150259.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190224_150309.jpg
    20190224_150309.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics