Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn Wiring Help

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, so originally when I bought my 97 Cobra the previous owner had gone aftermarket crazy with it, and I've spent the past 3 years slowly restoring her back to a respectable mean machine. Previous owner had completely taken out the airbag and stock steering wheel, and replaced it with an after market wheel along with a quick-release, however without a horn. So I finally decided to try and fix the horn because I'm tired of yelling at people when a few honks will do the trick.

fdf2x1.png

So after going through this little mess, I found that the red wire is the horn (which I know is always hot), so I used a piece of aluminum to come into contact with the back of the MOMO hub, (where the copper is), but for some reason the horn goes off. Am I missing a ground? I've used google, went thru https://www.getnrg.com/products/support/questions, called American Muscle and all they did was refer to me a "Ford Contact Switch."

I'm sure someone here has an aftermarket wheel with a horn and any advice would be appreciate. Please no negative comments, I don't care if you think my quick-release is "rice" or not having an airbag is stupid or blah blah, all I want is a functional horn. Thanks!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the contact switch AM is referring to is a horn wire assembly that came in fox bodies. It should be compatible with the momo hub and whatever quick release you have given it's not a junk one. I have a NRG qr + the momo hub and my horn does not work as of currently. However, the "contact assembly" is all I am missing to make it work. I just haven't got around to fixing it. You can get em off ebay for much cheaper than whatever AM sells them for.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
The momo hub I have has three wires (black/green/red) with a female end, and my NRG quick release has only two (yellow/black). I'm still confused because everytime I connect them (black to black for ground, and the combo of either yellow to green or yellow to red) the horn goes off constantly, as if it's not grounding

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
the fact that the horn is working means its grounding, sounds like the horn button is stuck, the horn button is nothing more than a switch. I just posted this maybe this will help http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?70323-MOMO-Steering-wheel-and-hub-installation-how-to

There should only be 2 wires connected on the back of the slip ring even though there are 3 rings, the third ring is accessory. I used the two outside rings, you probably want to use something better than aluminum foil on the rings, you could either buy the switch and follow my tutorial or come up with something else, you want nice constant pressure at all times, you could use carbon brushes or even pogo pins. Heres a contact switch for half the price of AMs http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1990-20...ION-/111787474648?hash=item1a070d7ed8&vxp=mtr

think of electricity as water you have a water canal flowing water from a water source (positve from battery) to a gate (horn button) when you open the gate (push horn button) water can flow through the gate and back to the reservoir (ground) In your case the horn is constantly on which means the "gate" is stuck open allowing the water (electricity) to continuously flow.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Just a little update:

So I was able to determine the problem was the NRG Quick Release, specifically the contact points where the steering wheel meets up with the Quick Release. I took it all apart and made a temporary fix to demonstrate that my horn works:

https://youtu.be/K5a1hmWnwzw

I'm planning on contacting NRG customer service

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, so originally when I bought my 97 Cobra the previous owner had gone aftermarket crazy with it, and I've spent the past 3 years slowly restoring her back to a respectable mean machine. Previous owner had completely taken out the airbag and stock steering wheel, and replaced it with an after market wheel along with a quick-release, however without a horn. So I finally decided to try and fix the horn because I'm tired of yelling at people when a few honks will do the trick.

fdf2x1.png

So after going through this little mess, I found that the red wire is the horn (which I know is always hot), so I used a piece of aluminum to come into contact with the back of the MOMO hub, (where the copper is), but for some reason the horn goes off. Am I missing a ground? I've used google, went thru https://www.getnrg.com/products/support/questions, called American Muscle and all they did was refer to me a "Ford Contact Switch."

I'm sure someone here has an aftermarket wheel with a horn and any advice would be appreciate. Please no negative comments, I don't care if you think my quick-release is "rice" or not having an airbag is stupid or blah blah, all I want is a functional horn. Thanks!

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to question an old post, but did you ever get this squared away? My clock spring went out on my 94, and this particular clock spring was a single year item so I can’t get a replacement. On my stock wheel, the airbag, cruise control, and horn don’t work. I just ordered the NRG hub, NRG quick release 2.0, and a NRG wheel with horn. That Ford contact switch mentioned below is discontinued as well. I would like to know what you did to make a contact switch to slide on the ring of the hub? I really want my horn to work. Did you solder the hot wire to something conductive and remains fixed against the back of the ring on the hub? I was thinking of making some type of spring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010