Air conditioner?

Shanasman95

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with my air conditioner only coming on defrost. The only thing I have control over is temp, fan speed, and defrost on/off. Any ideas?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
passenger side of the firewall you will find a small vac line that comes out between the AC lines and then goes over the back of the motor to the vac tree. Its common for it to come disconnected over the motor just get a coupler and stick it back together.

OP
OP
S

Shanasman95

Reaction score
Glad to hear is not that hard to figure out. I will take a look at it on lunch and see what I can find. Someone has done away with part of the emissions system and I'm hoping that that may not be the issue.

toyman

Reaction score
No vacuum to the HVAC control has a defrost default for safety reasons. Emission issues have other characteristics.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
So you're saying that when you turn your ac on (max ac) it blows out of the defroster?.....because that is exactly what mine started doing after I started on my 5 speed swap. Worked fine before. I know it's a vacuum line somewhere just haven't traced it down yet.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
same problem, like I said look for the only vac line that comes out of the firewall on the drivers side(by the ac lines) and then look for a matching disconnected line behind the motor that goes to the vac tree.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It was a thin flimsy plastic line from the factory. They all get brittle and start breaking.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Mustanger

Reaction score
mine broke like that on a 100

Mine broke like that too on a super hot 100* day! Mine broke off at the Tree on the firewall because I was cleaning in that area & forced my hand into it stressing the Vac line!! I never noticed it until it got hot. Autozone had some different sized reducing connectors & knew exactly what I was asking for! The tubing was smaller than the tree connection & i had not much spare tubing to reconnect it. Usually they have the right size tubing to replace the whole line but not that day! Easy fix!

OP
OP
S

Shanasman95

Reaction score
I wish I could post pictures from my phone. Would be much easier. But here goes, there's a vacuum canister in the passenger fender well that has a line running to the hvac controls from what I can tell. It's a somewhat large rubber line that connects to a 1/8 inch plastic line and from there runs to the tree. The rubber part of this line almost falls apart when touched and collapses with the smallest amount of vacuum. Hoping that may be the line that's causing this problem

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any vacant leak or collapsed line can cause it along with other problems.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the couplers they sell generally slide into the inside of the tubes and makes the hole smaller right there. They also create a solid part of that can't bend and the areas before and after it would be easy to snap them off later. An easy and cheap way is to find some wire that is just thicker then the vac line. You can take the wire out of it and then slide the line inside of it on both ends and then with some electrical tape or some good heat shrink to cover and seal it. Now you can make it look like not so much of a repair by just using the right sized heat shrink but be sure you get the stuff that has a glue or adhesive inside of to grab and seal.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Fixed mine today. It was broken right at the fitting on the vacuum tree. Found some 'emissions hard tubing' and vacuum fittings in the help section at O Reilly's and that did it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine broke like that on a 100

Mine broke like that too on a super hot 100* day! Mine broke off at the Tree on the firewall because I was cleaning in that area & forced my hand into it stressing the Vac line!! I never noticed it until it got hot. Autozone had some different sized reducing connectors & knew exactly what I was asking for! The tubing was smaller than the tree connection & i had not much spare tubing to reconnect it. Usually they have the right size tubing to replace the whole line but not that day! Easy fix!

Mine broke in july while I was still living in phoenix. Our club was going on a cruise to the mountains for fun and while it broke the day before bit I figured well hell its still blowing cold air just from the defrost. Its absolutely amazing how fast the az sun heated that crap up...

OP
OP
S

Shanasman95

Reaction score
Okay, so vacuum hose has been replaced and freon added but now when I turn the ac on the engine bogs and dies. If I keep it going for just a few seconds it will idle with ac on on its own but very close to dying. Anyone know what may be the cause?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do a base idle reset. When I first put my air back together the ECM wasn't used to watching for the load the ac put on the motor. Reset my base idle and it was perfect afterwards.

OP
OP
S

Shanasman95

Reaction score
I wish I could say I have but I "solved" two problems at one time and don't know which one caused it. I replaced the vac line and put freon in when there was none before due to leak. I was reasoning with myself that now that the compressor clutch is fully engaging now that freon is present that it is dragging the engine down when it engages because there was a lack of vacuum before anyway and this was not an issue

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you fill the freon with a gauge or just a line from bottle to low pressure valve?!? If you overfilled it then you can do damage.

If car runs fine without ac on then chances r you really just need to do a base idle reset.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online