Alternatives to the Porter Cable Orbital D/A Polisher?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by sanchezcruz_20, Jul 26, 2007.

1. sanchezcruz_20

sanchezcruz_20 Member

Are there any cheaper alternatives that still do a decent job?

I recently picked up a 96 Contour as a daily driver. It's black and the paint is in dire need of some restoration, so figured I could practice on that for fun.

2. scarface

scarface Guest

Im interested in this also....

3. sanchezcruz_20

sanchezcruz_20 Member

I guess there aren't any....... :dunno:

4. Juztang

Juztang Member

The Porter Cable is totally worth the investment. There isn't anything even comparable when you figure the price to how safe it is to use. Not only is the Porter Cable safe but you can get an awesome results and take your paint to a whole new level. The cheaper polishers that you can get over the counter don't have enough speed to do any kind of paint correction, they are basically designed to put on sealants and waxes. I carry Porter Cable kits on my website that has everything needed to get started. My basic PC kit comes with the PC, 5 inch flexible backing plate, orange light cutting pad,white polishing pad, and gray finishing pad. I also have kits that have everthing I just mentioned plus a medium and light swirl remover/polish included with them.

5. sanchezcruz_20

sanchezcruz_20 Member

Justin,

I didn't even know you had responded to my thread. Thanks for the sale!!!!!

Steve

6. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

The PC isn't really that expensive, i bought mine new for just over $100 and that was with 5" and 6" plates...Definately worth the investment.

7. ALITL8

ALITL8 Well-Known Member

+1 there is no substitute. sure you can go purchase a $29-$39 orbital w/terry pads and do a good job but the PC will give you better results and will last forever... i abuse mine daily!!

8. sanchezcruz_20

sanchezcruz_20 Member

I endeup buy a PC, some pads, and products from Juztang's Obsessive Detail website.

I'm still learning, but am VERY happy with the PC's performance! And that was with some crappy Turtle Wax rubbing compound. I've been practicing on my daily driver, a 96 black Contour.

I'm gonna try some Optimum Compound and Justin's Obsessive Detail Light Polish this week and see how it goes with some real products.

Once I feel comfortable, I'll move onto the Mustang.