Alternator bracket: PI intake on NPI car

delling3

Reaction score
Started tearing things down to do a cam and intake swap, and ran into a head scratcher. My car is a '96. I had understood that the alternator bracket is not a direct swap to a PI intake, due to variations in bolt spacing. So, I just took my bracket and matched it up with the FRPP PI Intake and the bolt holes match up perfectly. Having a difficult time understanding what I am seeing here. Can anyone help?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If they match up perfectly.....roll with it!
But i have to ask about your curiosity. Are you thinking this new intake isnt correct or the old intake wasnt correct?

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Naw, clearly the intake on the car is an NPI type, and the new one is just as clearly PI. Just everything I saw said that the brackets wouldn’t transfer. My bracket looks different from OEM though.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that’s going to be a difference between intakes with the plastic crossover vs the aluminum crossover. My 98 had an aluminum crossover and the bracket swapped to the pi intake just fine.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I have to assume that my car had a broken manifold that was replaced at some point - it clearly is an NPI intake but has the aluminum crossover. I have heard reports of some late NPI cars already having the aluminum crossover, but mines a 96. Here is a picture of the bracket - as you can see it has a "fin" which extends back from the alternator mount.

IMG_0217 (2).jpg

You can see the bracket in this shot. It covers some of the lines that cross over from side to side between the alternator and the throttle body/plenum. I have never seen a Mustang with this type bracket, but based on the part number, I think it's a Dorman part number - probably came with the replacement intake.

IMG_0214 (2).jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0217 (2).jpg
    IMG_0217 (2).jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 13

Notthenow

Reaction score
My stock bracket from my 1998 fit the manifold, but the alternator back upper bolt boss had to be clearanced to fit.

Notthenow

Reaction score
As in it was hitting the aluminum crossover. I just filed the boss until I had 1/8" clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online