Alternator issues.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I think something's up with my alternator.
Whenever I start my car for the first time in the day or after its been sitting in the cold for a few hours, the battery meter is at about 8-10volts and the battery light comes on. It will go away after about 5 minutes of idling or 3 minutes of driving. After those few minutes it'll just pop up to the center of the meter and stay solid there. The few moments before the needle goes where it should, it will fluctuate with the rpm's of the engine. But once it reaches the point where it should be it stays there and doesnt drop back down.

It did this a few times last winter when it was really cold, but it's beginning to do it now often and in 65* weather. I just replaced the battery a couple weeks ago and I dont wanna waste it.

What can I check? What could it be?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
what about your battery. Sounds like it is more of a battery problem then an alternator if it does it after sitting

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
It did it with the previous battery, and it does it with this new ones (less than 100miles on it).
I turned on all the lights and put the key in the ON position (without the engine running) and after 5 minutes the battery was at 12.6v.

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
When it's where it should be, its at 14.5v. I havnt caught it with the voltmeter when it was reading low. Im not asking though whether its charging or not.
I want to know why its like not charging when it hasnt been run then suddenly working like normal.

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I couldnt tell you if the alternator was ever replaced or not. This morning I checked the charge voltage on startup and it was 11.7v. Sure enough after about 4 minutes of idling, the charge popped right up to 14.6v.

I went to napa and ordered a voltage regulator and figured i'd give it a shot. Since when have volt regs costed $60?! :rant:

Up until this one, I've never seen one over $30. And I've dealt with older plymouths, dodges, buicks, and even newer plymouths.. WTF!

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Well it wouldnt hurt to get the Alt replaced if it havent be replaced yet, My car is 10yrs old and my Alt crapped out last year so it lasted for 9 years before my intake manifold blew and antifreeze got in it. This is time when they need to be replaced if its fluxiating on ur dash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online