Alternator took a crap?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fired the pig up today for first time since last summer. Popped a new battery in and it started right up. I let it idle for a few minutes then revved it slightly from the throttle body. I started to smell a burning so I was looking for some leaves on the headers etc but nothing.

The alternator started to smoke and it turned red inside :mad: so I shut it off and unhooked the battery. I thought the car was gonna burn but it stopped smoking and the fire inside went out.

I am guessing the regulator or a diode must have took a dump?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they are not expensive to rebuild. See if there is a local alternator shop and they can normally do it cheaper then you can.

lutter94

Reaction score
I took a starter to a starter shop once. Got back later in the day and it looked like new! Then I turned it over to see a fresh reman sticker on it. I could have gone to O'Reilly myself. But the building is now a zestos if that's any coalition

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

joekd

Reaction score
I had an alternator bearing seize up while I was under the hood with it running, scared the crap out of me, really thought I screwed up something in the motor itself so was glad to find out it was only the alt

OP
OP
DropTopPony

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Replacement came in.

16j34aa.jpg

2e560qa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads