Fired the pig up today for first time since last summer. Popped a new battery in and it started right up. I let it idle for a few minutes then revved it slightly from the throttle body. I started to smell a burning so I was looking for some leaves on the headers etc but nothing. The alternator started to smoke and it turned red inside so I shut it off and unhooked the battery. I thought the car was gonna burn but it stopped smoking and the fire inside went out. I am guessing the regulator or a diode must have took a dump?