Amazing Mystery Fender Movement

Gemini

Reaction score
SO... the fuel pump went out on my 1997 convertible 3.8l when bringing it from Dallas to Kansas City. We put it on a Uhaul car dolly and towed it to KC without any issues. The pump didn't outright die, it just quit working properly. In KC I was able to start the car, back it onto some ramps and do the pump swap with no issues. Car started up, brought it off the ramps and parked it for a few weeks while we attended other events.

Came back to KC to drive it home to Florida. After opening and closing the door a few times without any problems as we were loading it I noticed the door developed a 'click' when it was opening or closing. Inspection showed that the point of the door was rubbing the fender. We didn't have time to deal with it as this was Friday and we needed to be in Florida by Monday. By the third stop for gas the drivers side door wouldn't open all the way, whatever was shifting was shifting badly.

Not having time to deal with this because we had to get home the front drivers fender is now fully trashed. The door is hitting it about 2 inches into the fender. I'm sure the door is trashed too because it's a full on bench press to get the door open. The fender has also crawled up the A-pillar about 2 inches now as well. The fender feels tight, looks right up by the headlights, it is raised a bit higher at the back of the hood as compared to the passenger side.

I know very little about cars and nothing about body work (it's the only part of the car I wouldn't mess with when going through the car to get it running).

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to make sure all the information was out there. What happened? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like the screws/bolts holding the fender came loose and it shifted back. It could have something to do with trailering it but I am willing to bet it just moved over time. I had the same problem happen to me in my mock up. I didn't have to replace the door but I also didn't ever need as much pressure to open it as you describe. Next time you have problem opening the door like that, crawl out the window and you can save yourself a lot of trouble. I do not recommend getting a reproduction fender as I did and I am afraid to lean on it because it is thinner or softer then the other side and will start to cave it with out a lot of pressure on it. Get an old used one that has some scratches before going reproduction trust me....

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
since all the component parts you are talking about are bolted into place, absent some very loose bolts, I would have to be looking at the structure of the car since it is a convertible. is this a rust belt car or how much rust is under it?

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
It's a Florida car. No rust at all fortunately. I crawled around a lot under there last winter and the only place I ran into any stuck bolt type problems was removing the drivers seat. If I were going to look for a structural failure where would I check at? BTW That's my worst case scenario and the one I was hoping was just in my head.

On the fender I've got quite a few SN95's in the local junk yard to choose from so a replacement isn't the issue so much as the actual REPLACING. I've never pulled a body panel before...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the entire front quarter would have to be failing for it to shift the fender back into the door. If this is the case you will need a LOT more then a door/fender. I still say check the bolts and see if its loose and can move

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fender’s really aren’t that bad to pull off and replace. Just need the right tools and extensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
I have a Haynes manual and Youtube... any other suggestions for resources on that? :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only part that sucks about removing the fender is taking the bumper off. Take the header panel out at the same time and its not a big deal just a bunch of screws to get at behind the lights.

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
sounds like a SUPER EXCITING job for Saturday...

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
with no rust under the car, then most likely a structural failure is not the issue. then too, hard to imagine, with all the hardware that keeps the fender attached to the vehicle, that it would shift enough to create what you have described. I wonder if it is a major failure of the hinge mechanisms, i.e., the hinges themselves that have allowed the door to shift dramatically toward the fender. usually they sag and start to be harder to close since the latch is out of alignment at the other end of the door. look at the hinges and see what they look like. are the pins fully seated? if the bushings are worn, then, again, it takes the door out of alignment.

has this car been in an accident and repaired?

OP
OP
G

Gemini

Reaction score
Door closes just fine. The seams look good on against the hood and between the door and rear quarter panel. I'll try to shoot some pictures of what's going on and post them up.

Just before we left Texas my daughter was backing out of a garage and put a dent in the front of the fender but other than that it's never been crashed as far as I can tell.

I've had the car for several years, most of them with it sitting in my driveway under a cover because I didn't know how to work on it. Went through a bunch of it last winter to bring it up to operating standards but nothing body-wise.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How about posting some pics???

Download Tapatalk to your phone or tablet and you can log into the forum and then upload pics straight from the device.

Hard to know if it’s the door or the fender without seeing it and we’re all shooting blind here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
if the seams look fine and the door closed properly, hard to imagine how, when the door opens, it makes contact with the fender. the seams should be real tight if contact is being made. yep, pics might go a long way to help diagnose this.

maybe a video also as you open and close the door.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My fender was like this with my door after I put different doors on. You might be able to gain enough clearance by loosening some of the bolts and sliding forward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online