An Outsider "Reviews" The SN95

Handz

Reaction score
Where can i get a hydraulic clutch SN95? Been looking for years!!! how did he find one?

Reaction score
Holy shit. How many people are going to white knight the SN95? The SN95 was a POS by many standards - not the least of which it would get its ass torn apart by the heavier yet more powerful LT1. Its ludicrous that for the 98 MY, Ford was trying to sell a 225 hp Mustang GT with an NPI engine vs. a Z28 or Trans Am with the 305 hp LS1.

With that being said, we love the SN95 for what it is: cheap, lights, and easy to work on. But when a V6 Honda Accord sedan can embarass your car both in a straight line and through curves, you know your lacking.

And if anyone thinks the car in the video isnt one of the better condition SN95s out there, they're fooling themselves. That car was astoundingly squared away.

Reaction score
Holy shit. How many people are going to white knight the SN95? The SN95 was a POS by many standards - not the least of which it would get its ass torn apart by the heavier yet more powerful LT1. Its ludicrous that for the 98 MY, Ford was trying to sell a 225 hp Mustang GT with an NPI engine vs. a Z28 or Trans Am with the 305 hp LS1.

With that being said, we love the SN95 for what it is: cheap, lights, and easy to work on. But when a V6 Honda Accord sedan can embarass your car both in a straight line and through curves, you know your lacking.

And if anyone thinks the car in the video isnt one of the better condition SN95s out there, they're fooling themselves. That car was astoundingly squared away.

dude.

while i agree that these cars lacked greatly in the power department how are you going to pit the gt up against the z28 or trans am when those are the top level for those cars during that era? if you want to pit top of the line to top of the line then go ahead and get a cobra and then have fun. and a v6 honda? um are you talking about a 90s honda or a newer one? apples to oranges dude. everyone is entitled to their own opinion and im not bashing or anything, but be fair when youre doing a comparison. and 215hp to 260 is substantial. the car in the video is a 96 not a 98. and who cares what the guy drives? either the bank owns his car or mommy and daddy bought him the coyote which still the guy might not even own the car. that car in the video was a peice dude. ive seen super clean sn95s and mine is one of them with me being the 2nd owner and the original having tons of documentation on the car since he purchased it.

white knight? you do realize what forum site youre on right? this isnt modular fords or svtp or corral or any other mustang forum site. this one is strictly for the cult following of these cars. ford only had 5 years of R&D into the mod motor in 98, so honestly how good do you expect it to have been? take a look at the mod motor now 23 years down the road and you have engines like the gen 2 coyote n/a with nearly 445hp and the voodoo with 526hp n/a. you cant expect something to be great right out of the box when its something completely new and unheard of. how many years of r&d went into the skyline from the r34 to the r35? how many Bugattis, la Ferraris, p1 mclarens and many other supercars come out on a 50 year streak? none. the manufactures poor money into r&d to make sure the cars are nearly perfect. trust me if ford wanted to they could have produced cars like the 98 super stallion which was green, ran off e85 had 595hp at the crank and a racing style sla front suspension and racing style in car irs. ford isnt a strictly a lemans manufacturer. theyre the everyday, working mans car. these engines are found in more than just one of the models. be realistic dude.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dude.

while i agree that these cars lacked greatly in the power department how are you going to pit the gt up against the z28 or trans am when those are the top level for those cars during that era? if you want to pit top of the line to top of the line then go ahead and get a cobra and then have fun. and a v6 honda? um are you talking about a 90s honda or a newer one? apples to oranges dude. everyone is entitled to their own opinion and im not bashing or anything, but be fair when youre doing a comparison. and 215hp to 260 is substantial. the car in the video is a 96 not a 98. and who cares what the guy drives? either the bank owns his car or mommy and daddy bought him the coyote which still the guy might not even own the car. that car in the video was a peice dude. ive seen super clean sn95s and mine is one of them with me being the 2nd owner and the original having tons of documentation on the car since he purchased it.

white knight? you do realize what forum site youre on right? this isnt modular fords or svtp or corral or any other mustang forum site. this one is strictly for the cult following of these cars. ford only had 5 years of R&D into the mod motor in 98, so honestly how good do you expect it to have been? take a look at the mod motor now 23 years down the road and you have engines like the gen 2 coyote n/a with nearly 445hp and the voodoo with 526hp n/a. you cant expect something to be great right out of the box when its something completely new and unheard of. how many years of r&d went into the skyline from the r34 to the r35? how many Bugattis, la Ferraris, p1 mclarens and many other supercars come out on a 50 year streak? none. the manufactures poor money into r&d to make sure the cars are nearly perfect. trust me if ford wanted to they could have produced cars like the 98 super stallion which was green, ran off e85 had 595hp at the crank and a racing style sla front suspension and racing style in car irs. ford isnt a strictly a lemans manufacturer. theyre the everyday, working mans car. these engines are found in more than just one of the models. be realistic dude.

^Well said.

SOHC_Foodblister, you have to understand, comparing a relatively stock Mustang GT from 20 years ago to a car of current vintage is an exercise in futility. That's like comparing a PC from 1986 to one of today. Are you really surprised that today's are better? So why would you be with the Mustang?

As for the cleanliness or POS-i-ness of the car reviewed, it really depends on where it came from. I suspect that if you look at a car from an enthusiast such as those on this site, you will find quite a number of really clean, nice examples of these cars. If you look at a non-enthusiast, you will see exactly what you expect: nothing more than a 20 year old car. Again, why the surprise?

As for white-knighting - which is debatable here - take something you care very much about, hand it over to a friend, have them bash on it for all the wrong reasons, and then see how you feel about it. That's all that happened here. Nothing more. But again with the surprise.

What's interesting about this is that you do have some valid points - and I tend to agree with you to an extent, the Mustang of that generation, for a V8, was probably a little under expectations. There were some quick turbo 4cyls available at the time that would give the Mustang a run for it's money. Which made a lot of V8 people upset. So I know what you are saying. But it is what it is. And what it is, is an older V8 car that is affordable and accessible, easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and for modest amounts of money can be made to be pretty quick. And it has this wonderful community. So I think you would agree me that the reactions here, while maybe you don't necessarily share them, are entirely understandable.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
That kid in the video drives a mild Coyote - probably close to or in excess of 400 rwhp. When your regular car has a 400 hp engine, the difference between 225 and 260 is pretty minor.

I know. I met him before at the AM show last year. I follow his channel haha.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

The SN95 is NOT a POS by many standards. Number 1, its reliability is second to none especially the mod engines. A matter of fact there are many T-Birds, Cougars, Mustangs, and VIC's of this era of the road today. Secondly, I correct a lot of people who do not understand the history and time period of the mod motor. Sorry pushrod guys im about to defend NPI/PI 2V engine. This engine was first introduced into Lincoln town car in '93, this was a brand new platform that really took two decades to perfect and understand. Now at the same time OD2 was introduced and heavy emissions equipment was thrown on to the 96+ Mustangs which a lot of people dont know because YOU guys are 3, 4, 5 owners in. Luckily enough I was 2nd owner and I have the original sticker and OEM parts in my garage to attest to this...

My Mustang made 215hp back in the day with the factory tune down to air-box here's why. This car came with 6 catted H pipe, WTF? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, talk about choking the motor! Like I previously mentioned OB2 was standard in 96. The intake manifold was design to operate more like pushrod engine then a OHC engine because of the runner design. Overall, this is why the mustangs of that time period had such low HP numbers, but ironically the torque was high because of natural stroke of the 4.6. So yeah its easy to make fun of something because of how it compares to its competitors but when you look at it from a engineering perspective it makes sense on why it was. This engine easily could of had 260-280hp in 96 if they experimented more or had done more R&D but what can you say this engine came out of heavy sedan so it was a work horse motor.

Lastly, the NPI cylinder heads actually flow decent. A set of MHS cams, and PI intake in your close to 300hp range already and thats without a proper set of headers. It is what it is...

I had the car for 11 years so I've seen practically everything. I would of had built mustang by now but priorities get in the way lol.

dude.

+1 :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap:

I know. I met him before at the AM show last year. I follow his channel haha.

I saw him there too but I didn't get to meet and greet. I pleaded in the comments section that he needed to find a better example of SN95 because they come in many different flavors.

Reaction score
dude.

while i agree that these cars lacked greatly in the power department how are you going to pit the gt up against the z28 or trans am when those are the top level for those cars ...

Are you serious? You're a car enthusiast?

FORD - base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

FORD- base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

FORD- base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

Reaction score
Secondly, I correct a lot of people who do not understand the history and time period of the mod motor.
Trust me, you dont need to school me on the history of the mod motor. Were you even born when it was introduced in the Mustang?

This engine was first introduced into Lincoln town car in '93
Hey professor, if you're going to pontificate, get your facts right - the 91 MY saw the first mod motor in the Town Car.

My Mustang made 215hp back in the day with the factory tune down to air-box here's why. This car came with 6 catted H pipe, WTF? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, talk about choking the motor! Like I previously mentioned OB2 was standard in 96. The intake manifold was design to operate more like pushrod engine then a OHC engine because of the runner design. Overall, this is why the mustangs of that time period had such low HP numbers, but ironically the torque was high because of natural stroke of the 4.6. So yeah its easy to make fun of something because of how it compares to its competitors but when you look at it from a engineering perspective it makes sense on why it was.

Funny, GM had ALL the same restrictions to deal with, yet they bumped HP from 275 to 285 when they went to OBDII in the 96 LT1.

This engine easily could of had 260-280hp in 96 if they experimented more or had done more R&D but what can you say this engine came out of heavy sedan so it was a work horse motor.

Brilliant! So Ford chose to put a taxi cab motor in its performance car?

Reaction score
Its funny to see guys twist themselves into pretzels to argue that a square is a circle. Being an SN95 enthusiast doesnt mean plugging your ears and screaming louder than everyone else. You can still love the car, while admit they were terrible performance cars.

Reaction score
Are you serious? You're a car enthusiast?

FORD - base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

FORD- base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

FORD- base V6, GT, Cobra
CHEVY - base V6, Z28, SS

Lol you're someone who likes to be right over the Internet huh? I'm a car enthusiast yeah, that doesn't mean I'm a Chevy camaro fan nor do I care what they are. If you have so much negativity towards all this then why are you here?

And out of everything I said all you can focus on is what was "wrong" ?

I don't want to start anything here man cause that's not the type of person I am, but you obviously don't know how to work that well with others when youre greatly talking down upon what EVERYONE here on this site is passionate about. In you're line of work are you a manager? Cause someone who managers people treats them like such. A leader can find and agree and be just as passionate as those they work with and around because uplifting and encouraging is what helps make a leader someone great and someone to follow. If you didnt notice the title of this thread is "AN OUTSIDER" which makes it seem like you dont really understand us here bud. I'd suggest reading some John C Maxwell books.

Reaction score
Lol you're someone who likes to be right over the Internet huh? I'm a car enthusiast yeah, that doesn't mean I'm a Chevy camaro fan nor do I care what they are. If you have so much negativity towards all this then why are you here?

And out of everything I said all you can focus on is what was "wrong" ?

I don't want to start anything here man cause that's not the type of person I am, but you obviously don't know how to work that well with others when youre greatly talking down upon what EVERYONE here on this site is passionate about. In you're line of work are you a manager? Cause someone who managers people treats them like such. A leader can find and agree and be just as passionate as those they work with and around because uplifting and encouraging is what helps make a leader someone great and someone to follow. If you didnt notice the title of this thread is "AN OUTSIDER" which makes it seem like you dont really understand us here bud. I'd suggest reading some John C Maxwell books.

Sorry bro, I'm not here to be a leader, I'm here to sound my opinion and discuss things - because this is a discussion forum. I also know what a Leader is, Ive served and worked with a number of such so I appreciate the life lesson, but its not required here.

When you are trying to make a point and one of the very first statements you make is quite obviously factually false and belies your lack of knowledge on the subject matter at hand, it tends to rob credibility from your follow on statements. As a Mustang enthusiast its not a stretch to assume you know the basic mode lineup of the PRIME COMPETITOR of our cars when they were in production.

So if your point is that I hurt your feelings, Im sorry I guess. However, the point also remains that those in this thread seeking out their fainting couch because some guy on the internet gave an honest view of an SN95 is silly.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score

You have misunderstood this thread. Not sure why you are even bothering to compare the cat fish camaro?? Who cares about them? Because we sure dont. If their higher factory hp ratings vs the mustang really made that big of a deal the camaro would have continued production in 2005. Also, why are you bothering comparing a modern v6 accord ???? The honda has 278 hp + wayy more modernized suspension......... no shit it has an advantage over a stock 20 year old factory NPI GT. Compare that v6 accord or the $500 reviewed sn95 you think is "squared away" to 97stanger's or 98snakehorse or 1bad95s 2v's. Almost makes your argument seem silly bro...

Reaction score
Sorry bro, I'm not here to be a leader, I'm here to sound my opinion and discuss things - because this is a discussion forum. I also know what a Leader is, Ive served and worked with a number of such so I appreciate the life lesson, but its not required here.

When you are trying to make a point and one of the very first statements you make is quite obviously factually false and belies your lack of knowledge on the subject matter at hand, it tends to rob credibility from your follow on statements. As a Mustang enthusiast its not a stretch to assume you know the basic mode lineup of the PRIME COMPETITOR of our cars when they were in production.

So if your point is that I hurt your feelings, Im sorry I guess. However, the point also remains that those in this thread seeking out their fainting couch because some guy on the internet gave an honest view of an SN95 is silly.

hurt my feelings? ...do you think you can say something that will cause that? dont take this the wrong way, but youre of no relevance to my life, so i dont know why you would think youre offending me, but you focus on one thing "of error" and go on that? fyi that car is a z28/ss so yeah... still a z28 and top tier. it doesnt matter if youre here to be a parasitic leach like handz, or an awesome addition to the forum like many on this site like the OP. my point being is if youre a leader, or anyone of good moral compass and character, it carries over into what you do and how you carry yourself on a daily basis. over the internet or in person. i feel sorry that youre not looking at the bigger picture of the forum dude. cause theres way more here to be offered and it doesnt seem like youre willing to take hold of that for your benefit. i'll always defend what i believe in no matter how stupid it may seem because if i believe in something im going to defend that belief. i know what i have, everyone on this site knows what they have. if we wanted something different we wouldnt be here. we rally around what this little car and engine can do but mainly we rally behind what this site delivers. we get excited about it, monkey almost always gets a hard on about them. we see the worth of these cars and we appreciate them wholeheartedly. yeah, i agree gm made a better car during this time. i dont doubt that. youll never see me try to take on a trans am or camaro simply because i know what they can do, but gm used the same motor design, and still does to this day, while ford tried something new. i doubt when you first rode a bike it was awesome. im sure you fell down a couple times. thats life, you dont learn from a success you learn from a "failure" which in turn is a success because you learn from that situation what did and didnt work. im not going to continue a debate here, but dont for one second think i wont defend myself or my own beliefs and what im passionate about. if anything your criticism is whats annoying

Nighttrain

Reaction score
One statement could put all this to rest....
Why did gm drop the camaro when they were competing against in all honesty the same mustang.....hmmm...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online