An unsolicited economical commuter recommendation

Reaction score
If you are looking for an economical (but not boring) daily, a "fun" (but not dangerous) ride for your little hellion, or maybe just something with a bit more cargo space for those occasional thrift-shop binges (but not an SUV) I very highly recommend looking for a '13-'17 Hyundai Elantra GT. I'm specifically talking about the 6-speed version, not the automatic. I will never recommend an automatic to anyone. Automatics are the work of the devil.

My wife and I bought her '13 brand new and it's been a phenomenal car. Hyundai is not generally talked about in the car community, but having now had two wives with two Hyundais, I can attest that they are right up there with the best of the imports as far as reliability. Outside routine maintenance, I don't think we've spent $1,000 in repairs over the course of nine years.

Anyhow, what makes this an overlooked gem?

1) Did I mention it's a 6-speed? The factory shifter is smooth, light, and accurate. I can literally lay my arm on the console and shift with 2-3 fingers flicking the stick back and forth.

2) Peppy enough to put a smile on the face of a guy who knows what it's like to drive cars that get sideways. But only ~130 HP, so you can let l'il Billy drive it without worrying too much about him Paul Walkering all over the place. Hyundai nailed the gearing on this thing.

3) Rear seats fold nearly flat to provide tons of cargo space. Those same seats actually fit adult humans when not folded.

4) Selectable electric power steering. Yup, it makes a very noticeable difference in the feel of the steering. I prefer the "hardest" setting, but I don't usually mess with the button since it's her car.

5) Heated seats. Who doesn't love butt warmers? Especially in an "entry level" kinda car.

6) We didn't get the backup cam. It was available, but may have been part of the upgraded stereo or some other package her car didn't come with. We didn't custom-order so I don't know how the packages work. Just mention it because it is possible to find.

7) Total lack of street cred. Your insurance company won't even blink. It's nearly invisible to cops. Nearly.

8) Complete lack of aftermarket support. Plenty of replacement parts, but no zoomy bits to lure one down the path of temptation. It just can't become an accidental project.

9) Plenty of room for bigger dudes. I'm 6'2", 360 and I am perfectly comfortable behind the wheel. You can't say that about a lot of compacts.

Basically it's a little 6-speed go-kart with a big trunk. Can't go wrong with that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a 3 week training program to go to years ago that I got a sonota as the rental. I thought it was a really comfortable car and was 10x better than the ssr the other guy got as his rental.

badass98svt

Reaction score
To start with im a ford guy
And will only buy fords
Sorry but just telling the truth

Yup. Same here. No way would I buy a Hyundai. My father worked as a mechanic/general manager for 30+ years at a Ford dealer.
When I was a kid living at home, he wouldn't even let my friends park their cars in the driveway if they weren't Fords. No joke, he was worried about oil stains in the driveway from their "shitboxes".

TrickVert

Reaction score
My dad worked 42 years in a US steel mill, so imports were frowned upon. My TLX, though, is more "American" than some of the domestic cars these days, having been built in Marysville, OH. That said, I'd still have trouble convincing myself to buy a Hyundai (or a KIA), though your write-up was a fun read.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
My dad worked 42 years in a US steel mill, so imports were frowned upon. My TLX, though, is more "American" than some of the domestic cars these days, having been built in Marysville, OH. That said, I'd still have trouble convincing myself to buy a Hyundai (or a KIA), though your write-up was a fun read.
Having owned practically every make available over the years, and some that are no longer available, I'd genuinely put Hyundai near the top of the list. In nine years my wife's Elantra has only been in the shop twice, not counting routine maintenance. That's a pretty solid record.

Reaction score
i love my bmws, but if you want a "unsolicited economical commuter recommendation" look no further, for below is the best choice.

arguable the best car ever built

also arguable that this is the best car to exist in our lifetime and a true accomplishment for humankind!

Untitled.png