And now, car won’t start!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Installed the refurbished gauge cluster yesterday afternoon. Started it up, no problem. Did notice rev’s stayed up, took a while to drop down to idle, but didn’t think much of it. Didn’t move the car an inch.
This afternoon, I started it up again, no problem, and pulled it forward about 30’, parked it and washed it.
And now the f*g car won’t start! Tried jumping it. Nothing.
All the bells and whistles go on, as to all other functions requiring the battery (windows, lights, emergency lights, defrost, etc). I turn the ignition and nothing. Not a sound. Crickets!
Could it be something related to the gauge cluster???

Makoto

Reaction score
did you happen to wash under the hood? like... near the distributor?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said start by checking your fuses. Don't bother with the manual just get on your back and pull/inspect them all, trust me its faster and don't forget the fuses under the hood. If it is not cranking then its probably not fuel related but it does hurt tp check the inertia switch in the back. That would not keep it from cranking but it would stop it from turning over and starting.

Last edited:

muzzy25

Reaction score
Have the manuals got a switch on clutch pedal that allow to start when clutch is pressed?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We did some troubleshooting: went through fuse boxes (all good) and jumped the neutral safety switch on the clutch. Still a dead key at start up.
Will get a buddy to turn ignition while I test starter wires. May take a couple few days to get that help.
We’re seriously wondering if the starter isn’t frozen/seized up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
give the starter a smack with a wrench and see if it helps, it often does. IIRC there is a relay under the hood related to it, otherwise the switch could have gone bad but a quick test with a voltmeter will tell that story.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You Do recall correctly, there is an inline fuse. I checked that too, and it’s fine.

weendoggy

Reaction score
If this has the big starter relay, I'd have someone turn the key to start and check the feed wire to the relay from the key switch. Older cars was R/LtBlu and powers the relay to close. If you have nothing there, it's between key/clutch switch/relay.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If this has the big starter relay, I'd have someone turn the key to start and check the feed wire to the relay from the key switch. Older cars was R/LtBlu and powers the relay to close. If you have nothing there, it's between key/clutch switch/relay.
We checked the neutral safety switch down next to the clutch pedal. Nothing wrong there.
But, to address your reply: that is the next troubleshooting item on the list. I just need to get a buddy to come by and help!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The is a big single wire plug under the fuse box, that is the starter signal wire. Disconnect that and put power to it with a jumper wire from the battery (make sure it’s in neutral). If the starter turns when you do that, you have an issue elsewhere. If it doesn’t, the starter or the wire is bad.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The is a big single wire plug under the fuse box, that is the starter signal wire. Disconnect that and put power to it with a jumper wire from the battery (make sure it’s in neutral). If the starter turns when you do that, you have an issue elsewhere. If it doesn’t, the starter or the wire is bad.
C2132F17-864C-46F2-A98C-4A353807CA11.jpegThe in-line fuse I was referring to can be seen in the upper right corner of this picture

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I traced the “tubing”. I believe there are other wires inside it as well, but yes, te starter wire runs through it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.