And now, car won’t start!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s factory. The wire I’m referring too is a 10 ga wire and it’s under the fuse box beside the power steering pump.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Also check the ground wires on the verey front appron driver side in front of battery one of those little skinny black wires is part of the starting system grounding

TrickVert

Reaction score
Simple test: With headlights on, do they dim when attempting to start? If so, the starter is most likely seized.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Simple test: With headlights on, do they dim when attempting to start? If so, the starter is most likely seized.
Thx, will check that out, too when it gets dark tonight

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it is the starter, I can get a remanufactured Ford MotorSports starter from a local Ford dealership for $156+tax.
Are reman’s ok?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty much go new
Up to you
I always prefer new, but everyone I’ve called within 50-mile radius says Ford no longer offers new starters for my year/model. The ones that do have a starter are reman’s

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to say that I thought they are all pretty much rebuilt at this point. There are only a few parts in an electric motor and they are generally pretty easy to replace most of the time so I see no problem with using rebuilt electric/starter motors.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like I won’t have a choice and will have to default to a reman.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
oreillys do have motorcraft remans that i would get , i bought 2 of them one for the truck and one for my 98 mustang going on 6 years
when you say new all parts are new except the casing or body

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after troubleshooting it has been determined that I have a bad starter. I replaced my old one with a PA Performance starter (maybe 4-6 weeks ago), only ran the car a few times, and the starter crapped out on me. I hope they take it back and give me a refund.
I’m going to replace it with a refurbished MotorCraft battery.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up the reman’d MotorCraft starter this afternoon after work at one of the local Ford dealerships.

Raining pretty consistently here in SoCal ( thank god, finally some rain!) so unable/unwilling to attempt the R&R today. If I had a garage or cover, I would’ve… but I work on the car in an open driveway on comfy, cozy asphalt. So it’ll have to wait till it’s dry or stops raining!
:-(

Venompower

Reaction score
Picked up the reman’d MotorCraft starter this afternoon after work at one of the local Ford dealerships.

Raining pretty consistently here in SoCal ( thank god, finally some rain!) so unable/unwilling to attempt the R&R today. If I had a garage or cover, I would’ve… but I work on the car in an open driveway on comfy, cozy asphalt. So it’ll have to wait till it’s dry or stops raining!
:-(
Well at least you seem to be on the right track to be up and running, I'd take that and waiting for rain to stop over continuing to trouble shoot. Hopefully you post in a day or two and everything is good to go!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got ‘er dun! She starts, runs, drives, and starts up again and again!

Many, many thanks to those (you know who you are!) who’s expert tutelage and unwavering patience walked me through this.

Gave her a wash and wax… and now, finally after a few weeks, time to take her out for some ear-to-ear!!

muzzy25

Reaction score

Many, many thanks to those (you know who you are!) who’s expert tutelage and unwavering patience walked me through this.

Gave her a wash and wax… and now, finally after a few weeks, time to take her out for some ear-to-ear!!
Cool was the other one a China special?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cool was the other one a China special?
No, I got it from PA Performance. In their defense, I have to say that they were very cooperative about the return. I notified them a couple of days ago and they’re already sending me a RA. Their reviews have always been pretty darn good, so I think I was just the unlucky one who got a bad unit. Shit happens!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there was “ear-to-ear” time, but unfortunately an abbreviated version of what I was hoping for.
The speedometer in the gauge cluster still isn’t functioning! All other gauges seem to now be working properly. So, I sent the guy an email and we’ll see what we can figure out.

Venompower

Reaction score

This was the post I was hoping for, congrats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online