Annoying steering squeak...HELP

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just had to get a new steering rack put in the 96 GT. Drives great but now when Im parking or sitting still and turn the wheel, it squeaks/creaks. Do you think its the steering shaft, tie rod ends or what? And should I try greasing anything in particular?

Any help is appreciated!

MadStang

Reaction score
tie rods ends are the usual culprit for the steering squeals. I doubt the rack bushings are causing noise, best way to find out is have someone turn the wheel while you locate the noise.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I know my steering rack bushings were shot and every time I turn slight I would hear pop/creak. It can also come from your ball joints to but remember to do a process of elimination.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Its definitely not a belt squeak. Im pretty sure its the tie rod ends. Is there a particular kind of grease that youre supposed to use for that?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Tie rod ends do not use grease, now what they connect too does which is the ball joint. The ball joints is connected to the A-Arm and those need to be either regreased or replaced. When they loose lubrication they sound like a old station wagon going over bumps. Becareful not to let this problem fester because the ball joint can seperate from the A-Arm and damage your fender and any related suspension components because the cars weight is not properly supported anymore.

Options: New 03 Cobra A-Arms with x2 ball joints $$$, new steeda x2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit and steeda x2 ball joints, or economy method replace the tie-rod end and ball joint stock replacement.

I have the bumpsteer kit from steeda and it is very nice upgrade!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/suspension-tech-guide-part1.html

MadStang

Reaction score
Tie rod ends do not use grease, now what they connect too does which is the ball joint. The ball joints is connected to the A-Arm and those need to be either regreased or replaced. When they loose lubrication they sound like a old station wagon going over bumps. Becareful not to let this problem fester because the ball joint can seperate from the A-Arm and damage your fender and any related suspension components because the cars weight is not properly supported anymore.

Options: New 03 Cobra A-Arms with x2 ball joints $$$, new steeda x2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit and steeda x2 ball joints, or economy method replace the tie-rod end and ball joint stock replacement.

I have the bumpsteer kit from steeda and it is very nice upgrade!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/suspension-tech-guide-part1.html

uhh... the oem tie rod ends do use grease... but if they're squealing that means they're shot and need to be replaced. I recommend either going for an oem replacement like moog, or if you want to upgrade you can go to a maximum Motorsports or steeda Bumpsteer kit that replaces the tie rod end with a spherical rod end. no need to replace the ball joint if that's not what is making noise.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
uhh... the oem tie rod ends do use grease... but if they're squealing that means they're shot and need to be replaced. I recommend either going for an oem replacement like moog, or if you want to upgrade you can go to a maximum Motorsports or steeda Bumpsteer kit that replaces the tie rod end with a spherical rod end. no need to replace the ball joint if that's not what is making noise.

I wasn't sure if it was or not. I remember when doing my suspension 3 years ago I had to use a special device to separate the tie rod end with spindles I believe, but I never heard of them making noise. My ball joints made terrible noise because they weren't greaseable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online