anodizing/hardcoat

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
anyone ever had this done and know of a place that can do it? I need to coat the inside of my meth tank to prevent corrosion and not sure where to go or look. The tank was made from a 2x4" extruded piece of aluminum that is 25" long.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Hardcoat is a type of anodizing - but is performed to provide wear resistance as well as corrosion protection - therefore this will cost more.

Also, I have never seen color options for hardcoat, always gray/black depending on type of base alloy.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I am aware its not a cosmetic thing I mean if its possible they could just do the inside if they wanted I am only concerned with it preventing the meth from eating the aluminum but black is fine. I just can't find anyone in my town that does it so I was hoping someone else had a piece or two done and could recommend someplace.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
anyone ever had this done and know of a place that can do it? I need to coat the inside of my meth tank to prevent corrosion and not sure where to go or look. The tank was made from a 2x4" extruded piece of aluminum that is 25" long.

What about a coating used for the inside of a fuel tank?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of aluminum is it made out of?

Where did you see that you need to anodize it?

I'm not sure what reaction takes place with meth and aluminum. But most types of aluminum are actually really good corrosion resistance as is creates its own protective coating when exposed to air, aluminum oxide. Anodizing is a process to encourage this natural protective layer to increase and you can throw in dyes. The color and material become very corrosion and wear resistant.

While it wouldn't be a bad idea to anodize I'm just curious if there's a reason to.
I'm sure there's someone local that could do it. Electro plating and anodizing process are very common.

If you're really adventurous you could probably figure out how to do it yourself haha. Theoretically its extremely simple, I'm not sure what there would be for trade secrets and what not though.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hmm did some quick research on it since I'm interested in corrosion stuff.
If you anodize your tank or not, it will corrode. The meth eats the oxide. So if you anodize it, it will just last longer.
Its not going to corrode terribly fast since the meth isn't in a pure form and shouldn't be sitting for a long time.

Why not completely fix the problem, go stainless or plastic.

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
If you're just trying to coat your gas tank, get one of those gas table sealing kits and have at it. I think it's an epoxy, works really well. I've used it one a brand new tank and an older motorcycle tank.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok..

I am not a chemist to know the entire reaction. The guy I got my kit from told me that it corrodes aluminum and I need to anodize it.

I did look into doing it myself and yes its simple in theory but you have to adjust the voltage in the system depending on the surface area covered and there was a couple of other "little" things that were really easy to screw it all up with.

yes I know it will not make it bullet proof but from what I have read after 3-5 yrs others that have done it have had no problems.

I did not go with the plastic tank that came with the kit because with the stereo planned and air ride installed I could not find a place to put it. And before someone brings it up yes I know most people use the washer fluid tank but that was taken out with the smooth engine bay panels so it was not an option there. So after a lot of thought the only real place I could come up with to put it was to make a custom tank that mounted to the top of my radiator. It will actually include the upper radiator mounts and because of the weight up high I really didn't want to go with steel.

I am not trying to coat my gas tank but thanks.

so again if anyone can recommend a place they have worked with or heard of that does pieces for individuals and not just mass manf parts thanks it will make my search shorter.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
6061 t6? That's what I figured.
Ah okay, I would personally not use aluminum for that application then.

As for a shop that does it, again you should be able to find someone local. Talk to some industries or local car restorers. I could recommend a local person here, but that wouldn't make sense.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I am in southern Indiana. The tank is currently in Knoxville being finished up now.

Sorry for the delayed response, not sure if you found anybody yet, but here are a couple places that may do it.

They're not within driving distance, but it may be worth giving them a quick call.
Chem-Processing Services
Magnetic Inspection Labs
Both in Northern Illinois

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online