Another Cobra brake upgrade thread

joemomma

Reaction score
Looking into brake upgrade for the '94, and it seems the Cobra brakes are going to be the best route for me (I need to clear 17" Cobra Rs). Below is the intel I've gathered, so what am I missing?

'01 Cobra brakes (sourcing parts from rockauto):
Rotor
Caliper (ACDelco looks to have the Cobra logo)
Caliper bracket
Pads
Stainless hoses
Banjo bolts

I've found everything on the list at rockauto with the exception of the banjo bolts. Anybody have a part number/source?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
It's strongly possible I have 2 banjo bolts in my garage I'll look

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It's usually a m10x1.0 banjo, but don't forget to put 10mm copper washers on both sides of the brake line (one under the bolt head and one between the caliper and fluid line). Torque to around 35 ft lb.

It seems like a lot of torque but you gotta put some stank into it to crush those washers.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
And as I'm ready to pull the trigger, rockauto only has one of the ACDelco calipers. Figures.

For about the same price ($200), you can get the PowerStop dual piston calipers from AM/LMR. Any benefit, or difference here to note?

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I didn't think it required a new MC? Seems like I read it would certainly help with pedal feel, but wasn't required. I dunno, it's been a minute since I did all my reading.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It can come to a point where m/c change is necessary, just depends on overall system volume at the calipers. Too much volume and the m/c won't have enough grunt and the pedal will be soft. Too little and m/c will be very touchy. If you're concerned, email Maximum Motorsports, they seem to understand the equation pretty well.

weendoggy

Reaction score
And as I'm ready to pull the trigger, rockauto only has one of the ACDelco calipers. Figures.

For about the same price ($200), you can get the PowerStop dual piston calipers from AM/LMR. Any benefit, or difference here to note?
LMR Cobra calipers are the 38mm bore so you may want to hold out and look for the 40mm ones. They work o.k. just letting you know.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
As for the brake master cylinder, you will need to switch from GT master cylinder (1 1/16" bore) to Cobra master cylinder (15/16" bore). The difference is the pedal pressure and the amount of effort to make the car stop. I've ran my 94 GT with Cobra brakes with and without Cobra master cylinder because my FRPP kit arrived with a faulty brake reservoir, and the pedal with stock GT master cylinder was was SUPER stiff, pretty much no motion range at all, and the car would barely stop. Switching it to Cobra master cylinder a bit later made everything seem much more normal. The pedal was working well, the car stopped really well too.

SIDE NOTE: Switching to Cobra Master Cylinder will require different hard lines that run from Master cylinder to brake fluid distribution block, the fittings are different size. Maximum Motorsports carry the correct lines, so you just have to order those and the job becomes that much easier.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Excellent feedback, thanks guys. I'm just waiting on things to come back in stock.

shovel

Reaction score
I also did the Cobra front brake upgrade on my 94 GT and just went straight for the Cobra master cylinder at the same time. I can't comment on how it might have been with the stock cylinder, but I can say that going from whatever random old brakes it had to all new everything with the big front brakes was a fantastic upgrade in braking confidence/feel even just for my road tripper that never gets run competitively or (much) over the speed limit.

20210912_173802.jpg

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
That's an awesome comparison picture. I had no idea how much bigger the Cobra setup was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online