Another costly "oops".

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes my frustration leads to problems. Got annoyed at some idjit pulling out in front of me on the way to work the other morning. Went around him at a brisk pace. Weak brakes couldn't slow me back down in time for my turn. Barely slowed me down at all, actually. Hopped a curb, 4x4 onto a grassy knoll, got back under control. But when I got to work I found I had busted one of my front rims. Still holds air, but the lip is shot. Started looking for a cheap replacement wheel set. Then yesterday when I got home I found a huge blister on one of my rear tires. Most likely from hopping the curb, though it seems odd it would take more than a week to manifest. No idea how old the tires are, so it could just be age. Anyhow, I know no tire shop is going to put new tires on a damaged wheel and I don't have time to shop around for decent used wheels while the car sits-- it's my daily, I have to get to work. Ended up buying four American Racing AR605 Torq Thrust M chrome wheels wrapped in Continental Control Contact Sport SRS+ rubber.

Definitely excited to be getting new wheels. But not excited about putting another $2,200 on my credit card right now.20230116_153329.jpg20230105_151657.jpg

07GtS197

Reaction score
These cars stock brakes suck. When you can afford it I’d recommend at least cobra brakes up front. I dd my 02 gt sometimes with that setup and they are great. Next up I’d like to swap to Cadillac brembos for their larger sweep area and even better braking.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah, brakes are on my long "short list". Thankfully I've never had to test them in a panic stop/situation, but man they don't inspire confidence AT ALL.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
These cars stock brakes suck. When you can afford it I’d recommend at least cobra brakes up front. I dd my 02 gt sometimes with that setup and they are great. Next up I’d like to swap to Cadillac brembos for their larger sweep area and even better braking.

^ This..

After driving my car with the Brembo setup properly working, it makes the S197’s stock brakes feel terrible.

07GtS197

Reaction score
^ This..

After driving my car with the Brembo setup properly working, it makes the S197’s stock brakes feel terrible.
I thought my 07’s brakes were good until I got my 17 gt with brembos. That car easily out brakes anything I’ve owned. Are you going to upgrade the brakes in that car too? If I keep mine I’m going to gt500 brakes up front.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am afraid to many mustang people spend their time and money on motor stuff, and then if they have to think about it and happen to have some spare cash then put something into their brakes. It is not wise to make it go faster, and not stop faster.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I thought my 07’s brakes were good until I got my 17 gt with brembos. That car easily out brakes anything I’ve owned. Are you going to upgrade the brakes in that car too? If I keep mine I’m going to gt500 brakes up front.

Yes, the GT500 spec brakes are on my list. The current wheels will not clear them and that’s the only reason I’m not running them now.

I am afraid to many mustang people spend their time and money on motor stuff, and then if they have to think about it and happen to have some spare cash then put something into their brakes. It is not wise to make it go faster, and not stop faster.

That is exactly what happened with the red car. It gets sketchy.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
Technically, my brakes aren't stock. The calipers are stock or stock replacement. But the pads and rotors are aftermarket "performance" bits. I don't know if the calipers are just that bad, if the ABS system is overzealous, or if the pads and rotors are overhyped junk. Could be a combination of the three. Intermediate plans are to first bypass the ABS with one of those bypass blocks to see if that improves things. Then, if needed, I'll replace the pads. I really don't have the cash for something like a Brembo/Wilwood setup right now. Plus, I want to step up to 18 inch wheels before I do a serious upgrade to allow me to fit as much rotor as I can.

Not me. The only money I've spent on this thing (outside of necessary repairs) was a brake upgrade. But I don't know what was done in the 22 years before I bought it. Even so, I've had near misses when stopping from 60 on the freeway. That isn't an insane speed, shouldn't be a problem for even stock brakes.

07GtS197

Reaction score
A larger rotor allows for more pad sweep area which increases braking performance. It also helps with heat dissipation. I still suggest going to cobra brakes if you haven’t already.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
A larger rotor allows for more pad sweep area which increases braking performance. It also helps with heat dissipation. I still suggest going to cobra brakes if you haven’t already.
Honestly, I forgot about the Cobra upgrade. I'll have to look back into that since I recall it not being stupid expensive.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's also the Taurus caliper option, twin piston. Much better and fits with stock rotors,. As far as your wheel. There are shops that can re roll and fix any crack and balance the wheel. As far as the rear tire hitting the curb tore cords and it finally ripped and caused the bubble. That tire is unsafe to use. If you were PNW I have a set of clone gt wheels in 16"

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I would do the ATS upgrade before I spent money on cobra brakes. There isn't a reason to not use them

07GtS197

Reaction score
I think the ats brembos are overkill for most people. And they have to be modified along with the pads and spindles. In the end it’s not for everyone. Cobra calipers are bolt on.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
A properly setup cobra brake setup will perform more then good enough for most

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online