ANOTHER exhaust question,I WANT to keep it quiet??

Hybridbird

Reaction score
I am contemplating an exhaust change on my 98 after getting underneath and witnessing Ford's attempt to please the man with 6 :eek: converters.My question is what "type" chambered,straight through,(as opposed to brand) exhaust should I be looking at if I DON'T want a huge increase in sound?I have already come to the conclusion after a LOT of reading that I am going with a catted H rather than X pipe I do not like raspy sound they make regardless of flow.Granted,I have only heard off road X pipes,but I think after all my reseach I have decided that converter have a lot to do with sound quality and levels. I prefer a deeper rumble at idle and would like as little increase as possible in sound every other time.I have admitted to myself that old age and parenthood have caught up with me and whenever I'm caught in traffic next to any type of LOUD exhaust it irritates me,and I couldn't imagine having it follow me around all the time.Would a 3 chamber Flowmaster or a straight Dynomax type of design be better off to keep my levels low?Do they all REALLY sound that much different depending on whether or not they are behind cats or not??Thanx for the read fellas and sorry or the novel!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my setup is very tame under normal driving but will bark when you get on it...I have Bassani catted X and Borla catback with XR1 mufflers not Stingers...big difference in sound. Stingers being very loud.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
keep the catted mid pipe and get the 3 chamber flows, that should be pretty silent.......of course you could always get a stock cat-back kit :D

S

scarface

My setup of Long tube headers, catted h-pipe, and magnaflow catback is very quiet while driving...however it can be pretty loud when you romp on it.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
Define quiet.....O/R X and SLP LM1's?

;)

That sounds like ass, literally!

What about FLowmaster Delta flows or whatever they are called?

jpajkos

Reaction score
Something tame would be a catted h pipe with just your regular magnaflow cat back.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
get a mac prochamber with flow delta 40 mufflers, lots of torque and not too loud.

monkeydude3

Reaction score
High flow cats with delta series flows. You will notice the change in tone and it will have a nice rumble but it definitely won't be that loud, just deep.

I on the other hand love makin noise... o/r H with flows... I'm prolly goin LM2 eventually

adrift

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting another olddd thread because I'm in the market for a new exhaust system since my current is bone stock. I really don't know what I'm looking for or where even to get it, but I know I don't want obnoxiously loud or raspy. I'm also on a bit of a budget (aren't we all). Would it be easier to get some sort of combo package from reputable dealer, or used parts, or what? I've been doing some searches on this forum and suggestions I see coming up time and time again for brands with understated sounding performance are Bassani and Dynomax. Bassani seems pretty expensive, and I don't know what to look for in a Dynomax. I probably won't be doing any of my own work. I'll have a local shop do it. Sorry if I'm coming off naive, but I'm really out of my element here and need help learning.

Thanks!

white 98 gt

Reaction score
if you want it quiet just put a high flow cat h pipe on it with the stock mufflers...a little growl, better flow, nothing annoying.

adrift

Reaction score
Where's the best place to find this stuff cheap online or off? I know the forums have a for sale section, but where else? Any specific links?

And also, thanks for the input so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online