Another guy with the infamous ON3 question

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
Ok guys so I have been searching on this until my fingers have started bleeding. This on3 thing has me spinning, I am looking at links or maybe feedback that have installed this kit within the last year or year and half.
The reasoning behind this is I would like to see the latest revisions or updates, I know the guy is extremely rude on the phone but I am used to AT&T customer service.
I see on the turbo forums they seem to bash him and people thinking of doing the kit.
The reason im asking is because B&G is 10 weeks behind and the kit is 2800, I've priced on3 with a magnum turbo and tial WG and I will come in roughly 2500. I have seen some good stories and some horror, is this the way this kit works, I rolled the dice with a 6.0 powerstroke and its pretty good so far.
As far as I know B&G nor ON3 is a sponser on here and I truly want unbiased reviews.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
B&G makes quality kits. For the price difference you'd be best going with them.

Winter will be here soon enough and 10 weeks puts getting kit early December and bolted on and tuneable by spring.

Unless you just absolutely have to have your kit now then go on3 for only a lil less money but then not truly knowing if you will be one of the unlucky who will spend tons of time trying to make it work.

Good luck!!! If it makes any difference to you my b&g hotside bolted on to my 302 like it was factory.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wanted a turbo just as much to be different as well as for the ability for it to grow. I looked into the on3 kits for a long time and probably heard the same things everyone does about bad v-band clamps and sometimes the plumbing. My decision was made later on when I realized that the superchargers are just too tried tested to be ignored when I found one used for much much less then new.

We had one guy on here do their kit. Build a nice block, took the time to get it together and I think it ran for maybe a month before it grenade itself. He claimed that it was everything from bad gas causing it to lord knows what else.

Good/cheap/fast - pick 2

8BangerStangs

Reaction score
I am no expert on the matter, having said that, I would like to hop up my 97 ride and if I bought any kit....a lot can be said that it's only as good as the mechanic that installs it. MHO

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Same can happen with a supercharger as well tho.

Biggest thing is to just be educated getting involved with any big power adder

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Wichers123

Reaction score
Also depending what you have, there are other options. Cx racing makes good quality kits for a good price. Their fitment is on point. They make good push rod stuff no mod stuff.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you buy an On3 turbo kit, don't bother with any of their "upgrades".

Put the kit on, get it running... and tweak whatever needs to be tweaked. Once its all together and running well, THEN you upgrade parts like the turbo and wastegate.

Also, same goes for the engine. Don't try being Mr. Coolguy and go for the gold right off the bat. just install the kit on your current engine and get it tuned. Once youve got it sorted, youll have a more reliable base to swap in a "built" engine.

My own car is running a junkyard shortblock. Why? If I break it, I dont really care!

What would you rather do? Break a $500 shortblock, or a $6500 forged super whizbang build, because you accidentally had your wastegate hose routed wrong...

Make it work, then upgrade.

torch318

Reaction score
If you can weld just build your own kit some guys say you can build a kit and use top notch components and be in the $3500 range for a total cost or you can buy an on3 kit upgrade the components and be close to cost of the Hellion.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you can weld just build your own kit some guys say you can build a kit and use top notch components and be in the $3500 range for a total cost or you can buy an on3 kit upgrade the components and be close to cost of the Hellion.

Lol... what?

I bought my On3 kit for $1450. And upgraded my turbo to a PTE 74 GTS for $700.

How is that anywhere near the cost of a hellion kit?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. I personally wouldn't try to save money on a power adder setup.

torch318

Reaction score
Lol... what?

I bought my On3 kit for $1450. And upgraded my turbo to a PTE 74 GTS for $700.

How is that anywhere near the cost of a hellion kit?
I'm not a turbo guy so I wouldn't know, that was just what a different groups thoughts were on the on3 kit. Also if he can't weld or has no clue how a turbo kit gets routed he probably wouldn't want to diy it anyways.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I have about 2000 in my kit and that's with a2w intercooler. My hot side is only 300 bucks in metal. All mandrel bends and heavy 14 gauge piping. And it's ran my way.

torch318

Reaction score
That's what I figured... but it still leads to question why you're giving advice on a topic you know nothing about.
Because no one mentioned the build your own kit option so I just threw it out there, you seem to be the only that has a problem with that.

OP
OP
M

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
Sorry guys I do HVAC and the season is smacking me in the face lol, I think all of you for your replies. I have no welding experience what so ever and the one time I done it I became best friends with a slag hammer and a grinder (hate grinders thanks to training for a job).
My plan was originally do a B&G but I am in the mindset that I have a junk yard motor any way and I will probably get all giggity and shoot it to the moon any way. I am not cheap in the sense of doing something right but I am very nervous about jumping in to a DIY kit and getting frustrated and eventually giving up on the build.
I really am at a cross roads because this is something that is very new to me and to be honest its pretty over whelming, I have a very good tuner ive been speaking to (fastlane in benson NC).
out of the three cheap/fast/reliable I choose cheap and fast because I have a work van and a powerstoker to take the lady for dinner dates. The mustang is pure shifts and giggles, my plan eventually is a 331 dart based stroker with NX to cool it and spool it through a th400 on the brake. So I want to dabble in the turbo world before I make the call on NX, Turbo, Supercharged.
I know it seems confusing but I just want to be clear so I can gain knowledge from people who have done it.

Wichers123

Reaction score
If fab skills is something you don't have then wait for the b&g kit. Then it will be just a bolt on affair. Things I recommend. Upgrade the fuel lines to braided and have proper fuel at the injectors, pick a good set of injectors, Siemens deka/id's. Fuel pump needs to be the largest you can run aem/aeromotive 320lph/340lph intank or go sumped with a aeromotive a1000. A good regulator. Always and I mean always have a wideband its gonna be your friend.

OP
OP
M

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
I might just do the b&g hotside and cold side, I was looking at that last night and get my own turbo, waste gate, and bov.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online