Another motor bites the dust . . . new shortblock coming Tuesday

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Well . . . my 306 is hurt. I had a lifter let go a couple months ago and it tore out a cam bearing. Now, it's out of round and won't hold the cam bearing. The rotating assembly is still great . . . all forged top dollar stuff . . . but by the time I take the block apart and have the cam bore align honed, I might as well do another shortblock. I also don't have time to fix the 306.

So. I have a 331 coming from DSS on Tuesday to put it back together. With the extra displacement, and some boost tuning, I'm looking square in the face of hitting the 10s. Bad news, good news, I guess.

In the mean time . . . .DAMN I miss my RIDE!!!!

wytstang

Reaction score
That sucks man but at least you're in the position to fix what is needed ASAP. Good luck and post times :D

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Yep . . its a drag because I just put this motor in last December. The car was running 11s with the 306, with a slipping blower belt and lower than optimal boost. So, the 331 should be a step up.

BTW . . great avatar!!

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Yep . . . a 331 with 15 pounds of boost, water/methanol/nitromethane injection, blowing through a TFS Track Heat and ported TFS high ports ought to be pretty potent! I have no doubt that it will run 10s. I'll post numbers as soon as I have them.

The thing that pisses me off is that I had just had my sfi bellhousing installed so the car would tech to 10.0 . . . and . . . I just got my new crank pulley from ASP . . . lol. At least I will have all the right stuff in place when the new slug goes in.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
You should make some insane power with the blown 331. That's what I plan on putting in mine when the time comes.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
95CALI-5.0 said:
You should make some insane power with the blown 331. That's what I plan on putting in mine when the time comes.

I'll post dyno numbers when I get them . . . and times after that.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Here's the new block . . .

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Are you putting in the motor yourself or are you having a local shop do the install and tune??

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I'm having a shop do it. I don't have the time or equipment . . . and cars are more complicated than they used to be . . lol

Peter

Reaction score
block stronger then stock?

hope you have a lot of fun with it

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya!!!
The only bad thing about having a shop do it is the $$$, but the BIG plus is you get the ever so important experience and hopefully backing in case sh*& hits the fan, assuming you are taking it to a reputable street performance shop. Keep us updated!!!

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I have all my work done by the guys at SVC Motorsports, here in Scottsdale. They have been really good about getting my car ready for races when I break it (they thrashed til 9:00 Friday night so I could make Fun Ford Weekend last year). They are also just good people and stand behind their work. Its also nice if I ever want to sell the car to be able to say that it was all professionally built.

Unfortunately this motor is a "band-aid." In other words, its not the motor I want, nor the motor I will build later this year. Frankly, I'm hoping it just gets me through the season while I build my 427. It's a production block, but DSS does some things to strentgthen it (screw in freeze plugs and a main support system). There is a 6 month warranty on the block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.