Another PI Swap Question

St33da

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a chance to pick up a set of PI Romeo heads that came off a 2002 S-281 with only 38K miles. Here are the questions I have:

They do not have cam gears or the bolts on them, is there a good aftermarket cam gear out there I should look at?

Also can I re-use my followers or do I have to get a pair of PI followers?

Does anyone know if the PI heads in that year were "worked" any by Saleen? I.E. Ported or anything?

OP
OP
S

St33da

Reaction score
ok, so I found out that I can re-use my followers, and VT has a special for their cam gears, at only $62.10. So now my question is, are ajustable cam gears really worth it?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can use your cam gears off the npi cams but you will need the pi cam bolts which you can get at your ford for @ $12...the only adjustable cam gears that are safe are from modcamponents and are like $500...The Fidanza/Comp ones are junk and are breaking while in the car so stay away.

And Saleen heads are just stock PI heads unless it is an Extreme version then they have light work done and maybe a valve job.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, what DT said.

Adustable cam gears, if they go, is there a chance of the piston spanking the valve?

You'll need a head changing kit, new bolts come with. Their torque to yield. you're supposed to replace them, at least that's what I've been told.

OP
OP
S

St33da

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info on the cam gears, looks like im just going with the VT 2V Cam Gear Kit since it is on sale for only $62. I am aware of the head bolts being TTY and plan on using the ARP 156-4101 Head Studs.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even better on the ARP's.

Good luck, sould be sweet!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
St33da said:
Thanks for the great info on the cam gears, looks like im just going with the VT 2V Cam Gear Kit since it is on sale for only $62. I am aware of the head bolts being TTY and plan on using the ARP 156-4101 Head Studs.
Why would you order the VT cam gear kit when you have the exact cam gears on your car already...you just need new cam gear bolts...don't waste the $50, it could be used on something else. The little nuts and bolts add up quickly so save where you can.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Yep, what DT said.

Adustable cam gears, if they go, is there a chance of the piston spanking the valve?

You'll need a head changing kit, new bolts come with. Their torque to yield. you're supposed to replace them, at least that's what I've been told.

Yeah when these cam gears are breaking guys are getting major damage from PTV and shattered pieces.

OP
OP
S

St33da

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Why would you order the VT cam gear kit when you have the exact cam gears on your car already...you just need new cam gear bolts...don't waste the $50, it could be used on something else. The little nuts and bolts add up quickly so save where you can.

My current NPI Cams are pressed on gears or so I have been told. Is there a way to safely remove them from the cam? This is my first mod stang and to be honest I dont really know much about the mod motor. Yes I realize that I am 10 years behind the learning curve :hammer: but in the past I usually just skipped all mod tech articles, ect and went right to the OHV stuff.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
St33da said:
DropTopPony said:

My current NPI Cams are pressed on gears or so I have been told. Is there a way to safely remove them from the cam? This is my first mod stang and to be honest I dont really know much about the mod motor. Yes I realize that I am 10 years behind the learning curve :hammer: but in the past I usually just skipped all mod tech articles, ect and went right to the OHV stuff.

NPI cams are bolt on...the only cams with press on gears are 99-00 PI cams. If you have stock 97 cams then they are bolt on. Its ok to be a mod motor new guy...thats what we are here for. I've owned my 96 since it was new so i've done alot with these cars and so have alot of the guys here. Just ask anything your not sure about and odds are one of us has done it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online