anti ls swap?

JKady

Reaction score
I priced it out once or twice doing the super budget junkyard pickup engine/4l60e route. I couldn't come up with a number that was less than building a 302 based engine or even a run of the mill 351. The engine/trans may be cheap but getting it in place and running well is where the cost is hiding.

RichV

Reaction score
What I've been saying all along. There's a lot more to it than $500 YJ LS + SN95 + boost = 10sec. Again, these are the reasons the swaps aren't that common. But they are sure debated a lot to get people's panties in a twist.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like when one does get done and they try to sell it for $15k, but it was oh so cheap to build.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Ehhh I kinda disagree with some of the points made, but I agree with others. The LS is a great option if you're looking to make serious power, but if your goals are less than 500rwhp, there's really no sense in swapping in an LS.

Whistler98

Reaction score
I'm a diehard Ford guy and will always prefer a ford in a ford. There are plenty of options with great ford motors.

RichV

Reaction score
I didn't get a pic, but when I was at the dyno today there was a LS7?? '73 Datsun 240z. That's gotta be like a seat strapped to a rocket.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I always see people talking about LS swaps but rarely see them completed.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't get a pic, but when I was at the dyno today there was a LS7?? '73 Datsun 240z. That's gotta be like a seat strapped to a rocket.
I've seen one in an RX-7 before, has to be about the same concept. You know it'll roll out.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is a die-hard ford guy as far as ford powered by ford, but has also owned a few other brands of hotrods....he has two LS swaps under his belt. The first was a junkyard 4.8 in a square body Izuzu Pup, completely stock except for a CAI and was crazy fast for what it was. As far as I know he really didn't have much money at all tied up in that swap. The second was a Tahoe 5.3 in an 88 jeep Cherokee...he spent over $2500 on just headers, motor mounts, a radiator and an adapter plate for the transfer case to work with the transmission from the Tahoe. Not to mention rebuilding the motor to begin with, changing intakes and a few other things. I can only imagine how much it would cost to do that in an SN95. He wound up selling both of them, the pup just so he could start another project, but the jeep never was just quite right.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I understand junkyard engine swaps if it's basically bolt-in, or if swap specific parts are plentiful. But if you are going for big power, then junkyard anything isn't, or shouldn't be, anywhere in your build.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

If you had to be schooled that the GM engine won't bolt up to the Ford transmission, or that two completely different vehicles have two completely different fuel systems, then you have no business attempting any engine swap. If you actually learned anything from that article, then you probably should leave engine swaps to those who can operate a fork without going blind.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That article sounds like a bunch of whiny bullshit to me. If you are planning an LS swap, you already know the pros and cons of doing that. Resale value? SN95 has none, and won't for anther 30 years. Not able to mate to transmission or wiring, or custom headers? Who ever would have thought that taking a different manufacturer engine and putting it somewhere else would require custom work. What kind of retard do you have to be to think that it will just drop in and plug in? LS is a great motor, which is why it's one of the most common engine swaps out there.

alex302

Reaction score
ive wanted to do a LS swap 2nd gen rx7 for a long time, a 2nd gen roller is cheap a junk yard lq9 is some what cheap but my biggest issue is a good 5 or 6 speed they are $1500 to $2500 thats more then the roller and the motor, and a auto 4L60 or 4L80 is not in option in my book...

ooh and i would never do a swap in a ford just me now a import hell yes lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know a Vtec motor will just drop right in and bolt up and it was just that stupid chevy thing that makes it so hard :)

Although I must admit that going from the standard SAE bolts/screws that the ford usus makes it nearly impossible to get all the metric nuts and bolts in that the vtec needs...

CWO

Reaction score
That article sounds like a bunch of whiny bullshit to me. If you are planning an LS swap, you already know the pros and cons of doing that. Resale value? SN95 has none, and won't for anther 30 years. Not able to mate to transmission or wiring, or custom headers? Who ever would have thought that taking a different manufacturer engine and putting it somewhere else would require custom work. What kind of retard do you have to be to think that it will just drop in and plug in? LS is a great motor, which is why it's one of the most common engine swaps out there.

8-Step-Brothers-quotes.gif

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Unless you're going out of your way to be different, generally the reason for an engine swap is either reliability or power. That's why the 2jz and the LS have been crammed into just about every chassis imaginable... Because they are reliable AND powerful (or can be made to be).

When have you heard of a Ford motor being swapped into anything not Ford? You sometimes hear about a 302w being put in a miata, but it's only in there long enough for the owner to build and turbo the original 4 cylinder. Lol. And Mazda is Ford, anyways, so it doesn't count.

OP
OP
torch318

torch318

Reaction score
Unless you're going out of your way to be different, generally the reason for an engine swap is either reliability or power. That's why the 2jz and the LS have been crammed into just about every chassis imaginable... Because they are reliable AND powerful (or can be made to be).

When have you heard of a Ford motor being swapped into anything not Ford? You sometimes hear about a 302w being put in a miata, but it's only in there long enough for the owner to build and turbo the original 4 cylinder. Lol. And Mazda is Ford, anyways, so it doesn't count.
never say never!
d0d8543e9eae7b4bb35d82d315676452.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online