anti ls swap?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
And, here's a little '99 cobra with a 6.0L/4L80E LS swap. Apparently it goes together pretty well if you're not incompetent.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1761489-1999-cobra-6-0l-4l80e-holley-dominator-c.html

80-20141210_215135_c8e68295834806db09154eb18120b6546d779e2c.jpg

DavidBoren

Reaction score
It uses the mustang power steering pump and A/C. The 4L80E isn't much bigger than the T45, minimal transmission tunnel "massaging" is needed. Stock driveshaft...

Jeez, I guess he never got told how hard it is to put an LS motor in a mustang...

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's an example of the best LS swap. I was checking LS1-tech for the first time in a while because I was linked there while on an unrelated search. So that's just a random example of an LS mustang swap that didn't seem to make it sound nearly as difficult as the link in the original post.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I hear you. . I was so close to doing it my self. But found a vortech t trim cheaper for the 95 so went that route instead. .

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
A couple years ago it didn't seem expensive but now everyone wants an arm and a leg for their 250k LM 7......

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Five years ago all the vehicles with LS engines were still relatively new. So there were far fewer people modifying them... Some because the vehicle was still under warranty, and others because word really hadn't gotten out about how easily they can make power and how much power they can handle in stock form.

Flash forward five years, those LS vehicles are 10 years old, plenty have been totalled and put into salvage yards. People have driven past their warranties and are more willing to modify their engines. And a decade worth of aftermarket parts exists now. And a decade of reputation has been established.

Of course the price for a LS motor has went up substantially. The demand for the LS engines has skyrocketed, because a lot of people want to fix their Fords. Lol. But seriously, you can find swap kits for any vehicle imaginable, and word has gotten out about 15psi junkyard turbo builds on stock 4.8/5.3 motors pushing 400+ horsepower to the wheels and lasting over 100k miles.

What is not to love about that? Of course everyone wants one in their miata/blazer/celica/bmw/mustang...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have always wanted to swap into an rx7, but I don't really see the point in a mustang either.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Depends what you want out of your car. If you have a Fox and want to put some power through it, then the factory five-oh isn't the correct choice. And you can swap in a LSx just as easily as you can swap in a mod motor. It's all personal choice and what you have access to or knowledge of.

If you have built a couple LS motors, but you have always liked the mustang, it makes perfect sense to put what you know into what you love.

If you are faced with going from carb to efi, and can find a complete LS engine for cheap, it makes sense to put in a reliable proven and efficient engine in rather than retrofitting a tired old carb motor with efi.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about putting a LS in anything is either cost or brand loyalty... Which means the only legitimate reason to not to put an LS into just about any vehicle is cost. They are reliable and powerful and efficient... They just flat out work. And being cam in block, they fit where the coyote will not.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
The "sloppy mechanics" Fairmont is my favorite LS swap. 0 f**** given and the thing runs like a beast. Now my OCD wouldn't let me run my car like that Fairmont but I feel they have made a formula for JYing. Least amount of work + small budget and let her eat until she either blows up or runs faster lol.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Just make sure you don't use a Ignition with the swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online