Any advice for some one starting out? Drift

@brandonbarrera

Reaction score
Wondering on what I need to do to get my mustang able to drift at the local track?

I am going to order BC coil overs sooner or later (need to save a couple a pay checks haha)

The e-brake in my car is complete garbage and hardly works when pulled, any advice on that (debating if I should go hydro e-brake, or somehow fix the factory one)

And also the differential, weld??? Limited slip??

Any advice is helpful thanks:headbang:

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, going to move your thread to a better section.

[MENTION=15366]Rallim[/MENTION] (Washington drifter)
[MENTION=17526]Poxenham[/MENTION] sells a hydraulic kit I believe?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need much if anything to "drift". Your stock ebrake is plenty if you're just getting into drifting. If it's garbage you should start by fixing it. Go to a few events and get a feel for you car. Practice really does make perfect. If you're thinking about getting into serious drifting, coilovers, a hydraulic handbrake, custom front control arms, a bumpsteer kit, some camber, subframes, and racings seats with harnesses are a great start.

Vortecd4v can point you in the right direction.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The FMC Drift group on facebook is a great resource for mustang-related drifting. Lots of fox guys, quite a few sn95's too (same basic chassis anyways). As [MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION] said, my company FTR sells a real nice hydraulic e-brake

Rallim

Reaction score
You don't need much if anything to "drift". Your stock ebrake is plenty if you're just getting into drifting. If it's garbage you should start by fixing it. Go to a few events and get a feel for you car. Practice really does make perfect. If you're thinking about getting into serious drifting, coilovers, a hydraulic handbrake, custom front control arms, a bumpsteer kit, some camber, subframes, and racings seats with harnesses are a great start.

Vortecd4v can point you in the right direction.

Heyyy, this names familiar you follow me on Instagram haha.

I agree with all of this minus the stock Ebrake. Mustang stock e brakes barely hold the car let alone lock them up for drifting. I've seen people try to make them work and they snap cables before working usably.

As Poxenham said, the FMC group is probably THE BEST source of Mustang drift info currently available as its just a decently big group of people building mainly Mustang's. His e brake is rad and I really want his watts link setup, they are AWESOME for drifting because of how much grip they get.

You really don't need anything to start, enough power and an LSD are stock, the only thing you'll worry about is the clutches wearing out. One more quick thing is to see if your car has rack limiters on the inner tie rods, take them out and you get a tiny bit more angle so that helps. I've driven my car COMPLETELY BONE STOCK and it did alright, then I stripped it with a set of springs and drove it like that for about a year and it was great until the clutches in the LSD wore out. Welded is awesome, and cheap/free.

If you want to do more then that, actual drift suspension (read mad angle yo) it's money, and I wouldn't really recommend it unless you plan on not keeping it as a daily because you'll have to increase the front track width, cut shit, most people make only solid bushing stuff as well so it wears relatively quick for street use + uncomfortable. Not saying you can't but I wouldnt recommend it.

To give you an idea on setups, here's my car with a shitty ghetto exhaust + springs, bone stock otherwise.

[video=youtube;DeVkdVrRHG4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVkdVrRHG4[/video]

Here it is with Coilovers, modded knuckles, custom control arms, welded diff, ect ect..... this was also slammed as shit with bald front tires and had horrible geometry but it still did good haha

[video=youtube;lUbff6ZXU4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUbff6ZXU4E&t=131[/video]

OH, and you're in Oregon. Head up to evergreen sometime and I'll show you all you want or give you some rides!

OP
OP
@brandonbarrera

@brandonbarrera

Reaction score
awesome man ! thanks for the advice...probably going to end up getting the hydro of FTR:headbang:
And i might be coming up this summer with some friend to Evergreen(a couple 240s and an e30 ) id love to come up and get some ride alongs, big fan on Instagram haha!

Really digging this site too haha, just joined and i already feel really welcomed haha :thumbsup:

MikuTheDriftstang

Reaction score
What would you recommend for my v6 convertible? I have a welded diff with 3.73 rear gears, underdrive pulley set, stock sway pars in front and rear with all stock suspension, front bucket seats with 4 points and a thrush cat back right now. I have a cold aiair intake on the way and I plan on buying another engine (3.8l) destroking to a 3.4l with full forged and a t70 turbo kit with fmic and al. flywheel and 6puck clutch. Until I have the money for my engine build should I get a gt rear sway bar or is it the same one? Should I do lowering springs or jump straight to coilovers? If I do springs I'm going to do adjustable rate shocks all around. Also I have boss mag 17" wheels with 235/55s on em mounted to 2" spacers. Should I put my 215/55s from the front on the rear instead? I have a hydro hand brake, but I just haven't had thee time to install it and I need a line flaring tool too. Any help would be appreciated and nI I won't do a swap to a 4.6 or 5.0 so please don't suggest that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.