any polishing people?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
for the longest time I have held off buying a polisher or a grinder but broke down today and got a grinder/polisher from harbor freight. It has the buffing wheel on one side and the grinding stone on the other. When I have the buffing wheel in it the whole thing vibrates so bad that the bench its mounted too nearly moves. With the wheel off its smooth as silk, is this something that I just need break in and use a little to balance it out? There isn't any way to adjust it that can see just on/off so is it a bad wheel or just needs to be used? With the way its vibrating it can't be good on it.

Also I am curious if the polishing wheels/supplies at harbor freight are worth it or if a kit like eastwood sells is better? Looking to polish aluminum for now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Really depends what your definition of vibrating badly is, I suppose if you've never had a bench grinder before then it could seem very questionable. But yes, they do vibrate. If you mount it to a heavy sturdy bench it will help. Double check to make sure the disks are installed properly.

What kind of parts are you looking to polish with it?

At home we just have a grinding stone and a wire wheel on the bench grinder. Use the wire wheel the most to just clean things, the grinder once in awhile for little things. The little cheap bench grinders are great but are really restricted on their size and power. I find it a lot better to grind and polish by hand rather then with a bench, can be much more detailed and aren't so restricted. IIRC the polishing wheels on a bench usually get eaten up quickly?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have used bench grinders before at shops I worked at just never owned one. I know its not uncommon for them to have a little vibration but I was serious when I meant it nearly moved the bench I just temporarily had it clamped too. It was bad enough that when I was trying to use the grinding stone that it made it impossible to hold the piece to the stone with out it vibrating against it horribly. With the buffing wheel off though there was no vibration at all. I have no issue taking it off when I am not using it just to keep the buffing wheel clean but I am seriously wondering how bad it will make trying to polish parts with it shaking like it does.

robert94cobra

Reaction score
The harbor freight wheels kinda suck they fall apart pretty quick. the craftsman ones from Sears work nice . I can't comment on any other brands those are the only brands I've tried so far

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I figured that was the case I mean with out the wheel on it the grinder is smooth as silk but I do have plans for the buffing side for sure. Checked out craftsman and they have a couple but then I remembered I need to make an order to summit shortly and checked them out. I was surprised with how many they had to offer. I assume the number on it (6-14) means how stiff it is and how much it will cut? I am also a complete newb to the compounds is there any recommendations there as which ones to get?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online