Anybody running the Hurst shifter on a T-5?

TrickVert

Reaction score
I had a Hurst shifter in my '87,and had zero complaints. It had a handle shorter than notthenow' s pic though, and was completely covered by the factory boot. (I've never understood why someone would want a pickup truck shifter in a Mustang.)

I also like the Steeda Tri-Ax I have in the 95 now. At 6'2 and the seat all the way back plus an inch or so (I set the seat back on the tracks), I don't feel I'm reaching unnaturally at all.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Now I’m torn between the Ford/Hurst and the MGW Comfort. ???

Notthenow

Reaction score
Hurst springs are firm, but comfortable. IMO, stiff-springed shifters are a pain to shift with. Didn't someone mention earlier that MGW are pretty tightly sprung?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I decided on and ordered the Ford/Hurst shifter. Scheduled for delivery Thursday 4/21.

Fingers crossed!

joemomma

Reaction score
After seeing the pic of that Hurst, it makes me wonder if the PO mounted mine to the driver-side of the handle. I'll look next time I'd fiddling with the car. Moving it to the other side of the shifter would give me the additional clearance I'm after I think.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Keep in mind I also added a wedge to angle it towards the driver side.

Procharged87

Reaction score
I had the original Hurst in my 87 GT (curved handle) and the Hurst Billet Plus (curved handle) in my 95 GT back when it had a T-5 and loved it. It was comfortable, springy but not too tight, and shifted fantastic and had a comfortable reach level. When I did the last round of mods (AFR 165 heads, Holley SysteMax I under the Kenne Bell, Comp Cams Nitrous/Blower cam), I also replaced the T5 in the 95 with a Cobra T-56 and used a MGW shifter for it. The throw is slightly shorter and it's very, very tight but, the handle is a little shorter too (MGW comfort handle) and, honestly, I prefer the slightly taller handle and the reach of the Hurst over the MGW as far as pure comfort, even if it increases the shift throw a bit. Don't get me wrong, the MGW shifter is a quality shifter and more adjustable as far as handle position. I really like it but, I'm not a track guy and I just found the handle and reach of the Hurst to be more pleasant (being a taller guy) for the kind of street driving that I do in the 95 these days which is mainly just going to car cruise-ins.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Done! RAU was right (again!)… this set up is exactly what I was after. The height, the angle, the adjustability and ergonomics suit me perfectly. Per the option in the instructions, I did remove the inner springs, making the throws even smoother and easier.

I instantly noticed smoother transitions gear-to-gear. More like one smooth “S” pattern than the perpendicular pattern (up-over-up, 3-step pattern) of the short-throw I had in there.
FC6F6E52-F71F-437C-8DA7-42CC7A6ACB90.jpeg5EEEE9CC-3B53-4C4F-8575-D93F09E69AFD.jpeg

joemomma

Reaction score
You care to snap a picture of yours in 1st gear? Mine looks totally different. I'll grab a pic of mine for reference too.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Done! RAU was right (again!)… this set up is exactly what I was after. The height, the angle, the adjustability and ergonomics suit me perfectly. Per the option in the instructions, I did remove the inner springs, making the throws even smoother and easier.

I instantly noticed smoother transitions gear-to-gear. More like one smooth “S” pattern than the perpendicular pattern (up-over-up, 3-step pattern) of the short-throw I had in there.
View attachment 16906View attachment 16907

Wow, that is a loooong handle. That's gotta be a longer throw than stock.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, I really like having the longer handle. It’s definitely easier to drive and I don’t have an issue banging gears with it either.

Daryl, have you gotten much seat time with this shifter yet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online