Anybody running the Hurst shifter on a T-5?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I really like having the longer handle. It’s definitely easier to drive and I don’t have an issue banging gears with it either.

Daryl, have you gotten much seat time with this shifter yet?
warrior,
Not a lot (100 mi.+\-), but so far it feels good/right. I also have the knob secured about 1/2 way up the threading, which I might adjust it down a smidge to fine tune my reach/muscle memory

joemomma

Reaction score
I'll get a pic after work. Rode with the wife at lunch since she doesn't car to ride in my heap.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing the pic of that Hurst, it makes me wonder if the PO mounted mine to the driver-side of the handle. I'll look next time I'd fiddling with the car. Moving it to the other side of the shifter would give me the additional clearance I'm after I think.
So c’mon, Joe!(or do you prefer Mr. Momma?!)… git er dun!:)

tinnocker

Reaction score
I'll be 75 next month and I like my long handle Ford/ Hurst shifter. I guess I am used to the long handles of the 60's and 70's, seems natural to me.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be 75 next month and I like my long handle Ford/ Hurst shifter. I guess I am used to the long handles of the 60's and 70's, seems natural to me.
happy early birthday! 75? Good on ya!

joemomma

Reaction score
Here's where my shifter sits while in 1st and 5th gears....

1st gear - you can see it's nearly all the way over and forward, just barely enough room to get my fingers around it. Certainly can't "grip" the whole shifter knob.
w1RUS4a.jpg

And here's 5th - pretty much right in the center of the dash. It's an easy reach, but I would like more clearance for 1st.
C4YuDxM.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

1st gear - you can see it's nearly all the way over and forward, just barely enough room to get my fingers around it. Certainly can't "grip" the whole shifter knob.
View attachment 16952

And here's 5th - pretty much right in the center of the dash. It's an easy reach, but I would like more clearance for 1st.
View attachment 16953
never seen it mounted that way
first time for everything

joemomma

Reaction score
That’s a really odd shifter placement @joemomma. What is your shifter/handle combo?

It's a Hurst shifter, but come to think of it, it may not be a Hurst handle. It's pretty short compared to everyone else's Hurst handle. I had to re-tap the threads for the new Hurst shift ball when I got it. Makes me wonder if it's the stock handle? It had a Hurst ball on it before I replaced it, however. So I honestly don't know. Some kind of fuckery from the PO, it seems.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 16952

View attachment 16953
Yikes! 1st gear does look awkward. Definitely swap sides where the handle attaches to the shift lever.
Another thing I like about the Hurst is the smaller diameter shift knob.
It's a Hurst shifter, but come to think of it, it may not be a Hurst handle. It's pretty short compared to everyone else's Hurst handle. I had to re-tap the threads for the new Hurst shift ball when I got it. Makes me wonder if it's the stock handle? It had a Hurst ball on it before I replaced it, however. So I honestly don't know. Some kind of fuckery from the PO, it seems.

Attachments

• 29C1E9AB-A133-4BDD-B912-1772B58C86F0.jpeg
    29C1E9AB-A133-4BDD-B912-1772B58C86F0.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 36BC14F0-B3BA-4F27-AA93-5180ECAA8A59.jpeg
    36BC14F0-B3BA-4F27-AA93-5180ECAA8A59.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes! 1st gear does look awkward. Definitely swap sides where the handle attaches to the shift lever.
Another thing I like about the Hurst is the smaller diameter shift knob.
The sequence should be the other way around, sorry.

Notthenow

Reaction score
From my research when I bought mine, there are two Ford shifters. The one for premod motor is the longer, more old school version. The funky reverse bend is the mod motor version.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online