Anyone done a remote mounted Eaton on a 2v?

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Saw a pic on Google while looking for whatever, and saw a remote mounted M112 on a Fox. Im eventually getting the Tork tech kit to adapt a cobra blower to my 2V. But I wanted to try something in the meantime with the SVT head unit I'm getting that could potentially potentially put down some good numbers. Has anyone done this? Any reason not to at least try it? I love fabbing things up and could easily make the adapters I'm seeing that make them work. I think it's pretty cool and like a new type of hot rodding.

If if you never seen one this is what I'm talking about.
image_zpszqf8aqwn.jpg

Now this guy has the throttle body on the intake side of the blower, but I'm thinking I could keep my throttle on the boost side with the IAC bypass... THOUGHTS???

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting setup, never seen that done.
I'm also curious what Eaton they are using. Looking closer at it and I don't think it looks like the one off a cobra or lightning.

My concern is where is the intake? I'm assuming down below the car... Over the exhaust. I think it will turn the hEaton into a Super hEaton.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Interesting setup, never seen that done.
I'm also curious what Eaton they are using. Looking closer at it and I don't think it looks like the one off a cobra or lightning.

My concern is where is the intake? I'm assuming down below the car... Over the exhaust. I think it will turn the hEaton into a Super hEaton.

Kinda genius right?

I would set it up essentially the same but throttle body on boost side and MAF air filter on intake.

If you look closely you can see a cone filter right off the back of that charger into the old heater core box. Bet that's a hell of a sound for any passengers.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Maybe a lightning head unit would work better with the intake on top. Or are the Cobras like that? I'm not well versed in the world of terminators I just know I want one.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic as I have never heard of it before and that is some funky lookin shtuff! Well the head would not have the heat soak problem as bad but that filter could not be in a worse spot. Seems like with all the custom work they did that it would not have been that bad to figure a 90 to take it out to the fender but idunno.

RichV

Reaction score
It's intriguing, because it's different. Not a good looking setup IMO. But I've seen 1 or 2 and it's a major ghetto-engineering product. And performance gain is not stellar by any means.

Someone had one on craigslist locally, and it's the most hodge-podged setup with all sorts of one-off parts and goofy brackets. The E30 BMW guys were known of using that style of blower from take-off VW and Pontiacs and making all sorts of combinations. Ultimately reliability sucked.

I think a roots blower needs the T/B on the inlet side because of the way the bypass works. Maybe it can modded, who knows. But a 4.6 is absolutely made for that box in the center!

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
It's intriguing, because it's different. Not a good looking setup IMO. But I've seen 1 or 2 and it's a major ghetto-engineering product. And performance gain is not stellar by any means.

Someone had one on craigslist locally, and it's the most hodge-podged setup with all sorts of one-off parts and goofy brackets. The E30 BMW guys were known of using that style of blower from take-off VW and Pontiacs and making all sorts of combinations. Ultimately reliability sucked.

I think a roots blower needs the T/B on the inlet side because of the way the bypass works. Maybe it can modded, who knows. But a 4.6 is absolutely made for that box in the center!

Thanks for the input. Coming from someone that has seen a setup. It does look a little weird but like you said it's different. I'm trying to save up for this Tork tech manifold adapter, and thank the mustang gods for that thing. Didn't even know it existed till about two months ago. But it is absolutely the way I'm going with this one. This remote setup is something I think I'd try while waiting for the right manifold... I Saw another pic of a remote setup on an LS1 with the throttle after the boost side. I just keep think how low I could keep cost down (not including the fuel system upgrade) if I did this...and did it right.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I assume that you have to use stock heads with how little space it leaves you on the passenger side? At least upgrade to some gt40 heads while you are at it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
seeing one just sitting there shows its too big to be done without some serious modification. I'll just wait till I get the Tork tech adapter.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That side shuffled blower was popular back in the early 90's with the 5.0 crowd. They used the blowers from Tbirds etc to try and save money. Performance wasn't huge back then so 350rwhp cars were pretty badass on the street and could defeat most cars.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a lightning head unit would work better with the intake on top. Or are the Cobras like that? I'm not well versed in the world of terminators I just know I want one.

Lighting has a top intake, it has a massive intake that goes over top of the blower and to the driver side. Really not very good for any car application because of its size. Wouldn't be possible with the strut tower in this case.

k4Kuxuzl.jpg

The cobra blower has a rear side intake. has to be passenger side intake. Would go straight down to headers in this setup. This is the blower I'm using on my v6.

ymwmP0Sl.jpg

This setup looks closer to the m90 thunderbird blower which has a top and direct rear intake to the blower. The top intake can be deleted and have a straight rear intake like the one in the picture. The m90 Eaton was on a bunch of cars and is used a TON for custom blower applciations ie: ranger, jeeps... With the custom m90 setups the gains aren't anything special typically...

Either way... This setup is different, but not a good setup at all. The blower is going to get hot sitting directly above the headers, eatons already have heat issues to begin with... Also the intake is also right above exhaust and against the firewall, its going to get NO good air at all. Just going to be super hot. Then once the air goes through blower it hits two sharp elbows... more heat and restriction.

II think a roots blower needs the T/B on the inlet side because of the way the bypass works. Maybe it can modded, who knows. But a 4.6 is absolutely made for that box in the center!
+1

Its a cool setup, but won't be very efficient. You're much better off going with a conventional blower or top mount it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Tork Tech it is. Thanks fellas. Gonna start out with an eBay cobra blower on the adapter then work up from there.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Lighting has a top intake, it has a massive intake that goes over top of the blower and to the driver side. Really not very good for any car application because of its size. Wouldn't be possible with the strut tower in this case.

k4Kuxuzl.jpg

The cobra blower has a rear side intake. has to be passenger side intake. Would go straight down to headers in this setup. This is the blower I'm using on my v6.

ymwmP0Sl.jpg

This setup looks closer to the m90 thunderbird blower which has a top and direct rear intake to the blower. The top intake can be deleted and have a straight rear intake like the one in the picture. The m90 Eaton was on a bunch of cars and is used a TON for custom blower applciations ie: ranger, jeeps... With the custom m90 setups the gains aren't anything special typically...

Either way... This setup is different, but not a good setup at all. The blower is going to get hot sitting directly above the headers, eatons already have heat issues to begin with... Also the intake is also right above exhaust and against the firewall, its going to get NO good air at all. Just going to be super hot. Then once the air goes through blower it hits two sharp elbows... more heat and restriction.

+1

Its a cool setup, but won't be very efficient. You're much better off going with a conventional blower or top mount it.

BTW, which lower manifold are you using for the six? Is it like off the tbird SC or something? Checked your gallery out and it's pretty bad ass.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, which lower manifold are you using for the six? Is it like off the tbird SC or something? Checked your gallery out and it's pretty bad ass.

No bird parts on my car, all cobra stuff.
The lower is the stock 4.2, with a SSM adapator plate.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Tork Tech kit really isn't bad, they had some growing pains in the early stages but once they sorted things out things got interesting. I have seen some high 400, low 500 hp cars with the eaton and the thing I like is you can use a TVS or Whipple with it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
The Tork Tech kit really isn't bad, they had some growing pains in the early stages but once they sorted things out things got interesting. I have seen some high 400, low 500 hp cars with the eaton and the thing I like is you can use a TVS or Whipple with it.

Yea, I've been doing a bit of research on them and it seems like the better choice of power adder between turbo or centrifugal supercharger as I can start with an M112 and work up to pulley then whipple or whatever I eventually build the bottom to handle.
I would love to hear that high pitch whine coming from under the hood at WOT.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yea, I've been doing a bit of research on them and it seems like the better choice of power adder between turbo or centrifugal supercharger as I can start with an M112 and work up to pulley then whipple or whatever I eventually build the bottom to handle.
I would love to hear that high pitch whine coming from under the hood at WOT.
When you get an m112 pm me I will send you to the guy who ported my lightning. He does a great job it flows and sounds amazing

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
When you get an m112 pm me I will send you to the guy who ported my lightning. He does a great job it flows and sounds amazing

I'll keep that in mind. Almost went and bought one yesterday but I think I can find a better one. Found some 39lb injectors from a cobra for 80 bucks though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online