Anyone done vinyl wrapping before? looking for hints!

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to vinyl wrap my roof using anti-bubble wrap that is safe on paint due to the pores in the film. I have applied decals and done very simple wraps (ie flat surfaces) but nothing like a roof. I have a super nice felt edged applicator and a soap bottle. Any other tips for doing this?

TanTop94

Reaction score
[video=youtube;mFq_mJ7nMdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFq_mJ7nMdE[/video]

I had looked into doing some vinyl on the lady friend's car....first video I watched and I guess doing the hood would be the same as the roof?

TanTop94

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention I have that as well. Although I may borrow a hair dryer since my heat gun gets supppppppppper hot!

I know you wont want to get it to hot but the extra heat you get from it compared to a hair dryer is worth to use. You already have one so its fine either way, the amount of stretch you get compared to the vinyl or much less anything being cool or warm compared to hot is amazing.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did my roof last fall with carbon fiber vinyl.
It is also good to have help pulling and stretching the vinyl. I don't thing the hair drier is gonne get hot enough either. Just hold the heat gun farther away and keep the heat moving so you don't over heat one spot.
We started in the middle of the roof and using the squeegy worked in a circle until the edges started curling up. That's when we started using the heat. Just heat a small spot at a time and stretch as you go. I would suggest having clean leather gloves on since your hands will be right next to the heat.
We didn't use and soap and water, if we noticed any air bubbles, we just lifted the vinyl back up and squeezed them out.
As your pulling the vinyl, keep you fingers spread apart so you don't over stretch and leave a thumb mark. Not a big prob if you using a solid color but anything with a pattern will show.
The trickiest part of stretching was the corner where the windshield and A piller meet. It's just hard to get in there. take your time.
Once everything was stuck to the roof, we trimmed the vinyl 1/8" long and tucked all of the edges under the window rubber and door moldings. NO EXPOSED EDGES.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have done some small stuff and its not hard, especially the roof. I have considered doing mine in a CF after I get my CF hood, or a CF stripe... You really should not even need heat I would think with as gentle of a curve as the top is.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I put mine on like tent used baby shampoo and water mix and sprayed the car then used heat to form it to the roof.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Shit now you guys got me thinking CF wrap my roof :p

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thats what Clestons is. Blue CF

That Blue might only last through the year. maybe less. I had hoped that the paint and vinyl would be a closer match.

I should have went black CF in the first place but got talked out of it. Oh well, it still looks better than the old dieing clearcoat.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
last time i used vinyl i sprayed a soapy spray down and then laid the vinyl on it, then squeegeed the water out. can you not do that with big pieces? seems like it would be way easier.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would assume you can. just saying I didn't.
Your still going to need to heat and stretch the corners.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
really wish we could get someone to make an insert to go on top of our roof out of real CF just for the looks of it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
really wish we could get someone to make an insert to go on top of our roof out of real CF just for the looks of it.

that would be cool, I also thought it would be sick if we could do a glass roof option like on the new ones.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
that would be cool too. but I bet a piece of glass that curved to match our roof line would be $$$$$$$

oh yeah, even the carbon fiber idea wouldn't be cheap. I'd like to measure the roof of a newer Mustang and see if the same glass panel could be adapted to work. that would make things cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online