Anyone ever have a Boss head unit?

heffe2001

Reaction score
My brother has either that boss radio, or a few year older version in his 95 'vette, and he hasn't had any issues with it. The UI on it (at least on his model, not 100% sure it's the same as this one) pretty sucks compared to newer name-brand radios.

You'd be MUCH happier with a Pioneer. I have a AVH-X3500BHS in my 00 GT (with a 02 radio bezel), with SiriusXM, HD radio, Pandora link, and App Control for i-devices.

You can find them on ebay around your price point:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVH...r_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item417df63a33

Do yourself a favor tho, skip the Boss, grab a decent used Pioneer, you'll definitely be happier, lol.

**EDIT** Ebay link fixed, linked the wrong one, lol.

heffe2001

Reaction score
Here's a shot of that Pioneer in my 00, prior to me adding the lower buttons, and painting the surround:

2013-04-16%2009.58.41.jpg

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I just shot you a PM. Thanks.
What features does it have? Does that color change? Yours is green and the one on eBay is blue.
Anything worth mentioning?

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

heffe2001

Reaction score
Are you using the Mach460 stuff, or is yours direct to speakers? If you're using the internal amp on the radio to the speakers just wire it up and go, if you're using the mach460, you'll definitely want to cut the voltage down on the amp turn on circuit to around 6v, at 12v you'll get a nasty pop every time you start the car (Mach460 expects around a 6v turn on for it's amps, not the typical 12v, if you're going that route I'll look up the wiring instructions for that).

The colors are changeable, that was actually right after initial installation, with everything default (I had paired it to my android phone to check out pandora, works GREAT for that too). You have several background themes to choose from as well, some animated, some static. I think you can change the background to a user-supplied picture as well, never tried it though.

The ONLY issue i have is the phone ringtone it uses, I HATE it, and on my android phone (galaxy S3) at least, you can't make it ring with your phones ringtone, only the canned one in the radio..

I ended up pulling out the Mach460 stuff, and putting a Clarion XC1410 in place of the amp under the radio, and I'm in the process of installing a Infinity Basslink 10 in the trunk (soon as my damn amp wiring kit comes in, forgot to order WITH the sub, lol). It looks like it'll fit in the corner where the factory mach1000 sub will go, or close to it anyway. My car's a 'vert so I'm very limited by trunk space, and it won't matter much WHAT sub I put back there when the top's down, especially since I actually USE my trunk, no place for a huge box or anything back there..

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=18280]heffe2001[/MENTION] I am using the Mach 460 amp. I have the door speakers wired to the tweeter wiring, I'm not using the tweeters, and the rear speakers are hooked up normally. My current head unit is putting out 12v and causing the speakers to pop when I turn the key. How do you step down the voltage? Wire a transformer in there or something? Idk haha

I'm definitely going to be getting that head unit... I just fell in love.

heffe2001

Reaction score
Usually a 1.5k resistor wired in series with the amp turn on lead fixes the pop problem, or at least lowers the pop so much you can barely notice it. There are other methods as well, but that is by far the easiest..

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Why not just grab a old alpine or eclipse head unit or even clarion.

I mean if I can find a nice used one sure but a $300 head hint for $180? Can't beat that.

I won't be buying anything until my friend buys his car. I'm loaning him some money depending on how much he's short.
I'm only doing it because I'm buying the wheels off the car he's buying lol. So if he doesn't buy the car I don't get the wheels

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I mean if I can find a nice used one sure but a $300 head hint for $180? Can't beat that.

I won't be buying anything until my friend buys his car. I'm loaning him some money depending on how much he's short.
I'm only doing it because I'm buying the wheels off the car he's buying lol. So if he doesn't buy the car I don't get the wheels

oh yeah easily. I know the alpine I have in my car now with a 4v preout can be gotten for around 100 I think I'll look it up.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Alpine 7894 is the one I have. One of the old school ones that everyone loved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online