Anyone ever replace their convertible top?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
My mom needs a new top. We tracked down the leak and it was coming from the rear window, the drivers side bottom corner had a 6 inch long open pocket where the seal came loose, so we jammed some boat sealant crap from Home Depot in there to keep the water out for now but it really needs to be replaced. The top is shrinking, worn, and cracking. It is the original top from 2005 so it's pass due.

I am not installing it myself, Way above my pay grade... Which is free...

We're having a local shop due it. Very reputable guys. We just need to buy the parts.

Anyone know of a place that sells a good quality top for a good deal? Something as good or better than the OEM one on my moms 2005 V6 convertible?

We not only need the top but we also need to replace the drivers side quarter window. the molding has a large chunk ripped off it so it is also another source for moisture to get in. Can this only be bought through Ford? I'd rather go through someone else... lol

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
2005+ are a pain in the ass because the whole top assembly has to come out of the car. Your best will probably be to have the shop order the top for you. I worked or an upholstery shop for a few months and I can't remember the exact name of the brand tops we used (something like Besttops or Good tops, something dumb like that), but it was usually cheaper for us to buy them direct from our supplier than for the customer to supply it. Might be worth asking them what they can get it for.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=8860]Win[/MENTION] AM only has a black top. Which confused me.. Idk why they'd only carry black. LMR though has a tan one. I'm just unsure of the quality comparatively speaking.

I'll have to see what the shop says for tops and if we can buy through them... My dads best friend owns a shop in town and he knows a guy that would do a top.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Call LMR and find out who there supplier is. Chances are it's probably the same one the shop gets them from.

heffe2001

Reaction score
Topsonline.com I believe is who some of the shops around here use, I'm 99% sure it's where the top I had put on mine last year came from.

MRRRRCK

Reaction score
I replaced my top myself on my 95 a few years ago. It wasn't incredibly challenging, but it was very tedious and slow. Saved myself about $1000

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION], get yo azz in hurrr.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

heffe2001

Reaction score
I replaced my top myself on my 95 a few years ago. It wasn't incredibly challenging, but it was very tedious and slow. Saved myself about $1000

That's about what it cost to get mine done, including the 2 part top, with glass & defrost. Only things I wish they had done that they didn't, replace the well liner, and the headliner cloth (I'd bet I could do the latter myself, doesn't look difficult, the well liner most likely too, but not 100% sure on that part).

samc

Reaction score
topsonline. but i bet the top shop will charge a bit more for installation since they aren't making anything on the top. Never done an '05, done a few others, it's a 2-day PITA. Not hard, just finicky. Get an air or electric stapler.

heffe2001

Reaction score
After seeing what they did on mine, I'd absolutely have to have either an electric or air stapler, lol.

I still need to pull the black trim off my convertible well and get it freshened up, hopefully it isn't what attaches the top to the well, lol.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
We're gonna get the ball rolling and have my dads friends shop do it if it's not too hard. If it's a pita they'll send us to a reputable shop that does tops locally. If we had my dads friend shop do it we'd have to get the top. Still not sure where the best place to get one from is..

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

heffe2001

Reaction score
If you get part way through it and have a real top shop finish it, up, most likely they're going to charge you more than they would have if you'd have had the do it in the first place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online