anyone get into doing thier own tuning?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Q) I wanted to run my car without a MAF and with the MS I can do that.
A) Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of the MAF but to each their own. If calibrated correctly, it's the most important sensor in the car next to the ECU.

In short, I am doing It because I can. My reasoning; while the car was running I kept chasing idle and drivability issues. I had been through the whole iac/maf/tps/retune game. I never quite got my problems solved so I wanted to give this way a shot, because I was tired of how things were before. However, when I built my board and wiring harness, I left the MAF wires in the harness they are just disconnected. So at any point, I can install a MAF and my wiring is already there.

Q) I will be running with 1 wideband O2.
A) In my opinion, BIG MISTAKE. Are you going to run in open or closed loop? What happens if one side of the engine goes lean, how would you know if you have a problem.

I also agree that it is a mistake, but my end game includes a wideband on both banks. What I have now will suffice until I make it to that point though. If the other bank goes lean, we have big problems already lol.

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Q)
Q) I will be running with 1 wideband O2.
A) In my opinion, BIG MISTAKE. Are you going to run in open or closed loop? What happens if one side of the engine goes lean, how would you know if you have a problem.

Q) The options are truly endless, if you are willing to put forth the effort.
A) Agreed

It's extremely easy to tell if the car is rich or lean.. Wideband's aren't the tell all of afr.. The stock narrowband's are more accurate anyway...

Only one wideband is needed...

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
I have been weighing all the possibilities for tuning when I get the car back together with my biggest problem being the most reliable tuner nearby is nearly 3 hrs one way and I do not get around well... Thought about the datalog/email option but I have also been reading about more people doing their own through something like the megasquirt or the Anderson ford piece. Obviously with a 94/95 I am limited and I only put it in the garage section with the thought maybe someone was doing it and then moved on the modular/obd2 world so I put it in the garage hoping to get as many responces as possible. How hard is it to learn to use and how easy is it to mess up my motor? I am not going to be tuning it to max the boost/power as much as just for a reliable running tune but the idea of having to email/depend on someone else either hours away or that I may never see just doesn't really appeal to me. I am fairly technical with computers and software and would be willing to do the reading needed to learn as much as I can. Any good resources to look at for this?

You are a long way from needing any sort of stand alone... Buy a quarterhorse.. Email Willy or Decipha.. 3 emails later your car will run like it never has..
Happily ever after...

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Q) It's extremely easy to tell if the car is rich or lean..
A) What other variables are you looking at beside EGTs, and injector PW.

Q) Wideband's aren't the tell all of afr..
A) Yes and some people prefer EGTs but today's widebands are readily available and easy enough to install and setup, so what are you exactly saying here.

Q) The stock narrowband's are more accurate anyway..
A) More accurate at stoich but not anywhere else without doing calculations.

Q) Only one wideband is needed.
A) To each their own but I would prefer to use two.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
everything has been put on hold so there is plenty of time to think about it and soak all this in so all info is appreciated. As much as I am dying to get back on it and get it finished I am knee deep in insurance and medical shtuff for a father with a recent hip replacement and a mother suffering from vertigo issues for over 2 months and needs help getting up and down now. Nothing will put everything into perspective of what is important or not till you are forced to play the medical insurance game for family to try and get the minimum that they are due.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online