Anyone here ever heard of Ron Sutton?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
If anyone is on the Lateral-G forums, you probably know who Ron Sutton is. For those not "in the know", he is a suspension Jedi. With decades of racing experience. He is dedicated to helping people optimize their cars for the track and pro-touring scene.

Has anyone here contacted him to help with their suspension? He has you take an extensive series of very precise measurements, and then he calculates what spring and bar rates, shock valving, and the necessary modifications to your suspension mounting points to get optimal geometry for carving corners. It's all about maximizing the contact patch of the front wheels during a corner. His philosophy is that you can't turn any faster than your front tires can grip. Grip = speed.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has looked into really dialing in their suspension past out of the box package deals.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its nice to know their are forum patrons willing to help for free. Its sad when the help comes with an anticipated coin to be made, usually along the lines of fake or not fullfilling info. Preying on the inexperienced to achieve a gain.

This guy sounds legit, but im sure crunching mathmatics is only half the equation. Driver movement's, car reaction play a key roll in grip, but a solid base knowledge is where to start and its nice to see this guy helping out! Thanks Dave!

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Not to disagree with you, because I feel the same way about not being a good enough driver to necessitate such modifications... but then again, I'm probably not an exceptional enough driver to need any modifications, but that hasn't stopped me before.

What he does is optimize what is there towards a road racing suspension. He can also design, build, and install complete custom suspensions, if you so choose. But it honestly doesn't matter who is doing it, as long as it's being done right.

His philosophy is rock solid... you simply cannot go any faster than your front tires can grip. Period. Maximizing the contact patch of the front tires, especially when the suspension is compressed and the wheels are turned, is essential.

It doesn't matter if you are a novice or a pro, or if it's your daily driver or your track only racecar... maximizing the grip of the front tires will be beneficial regardless of the driver's skill-set or the vehicle's intended application.

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Mustanger, did you meet him/take that picture? I have talked to him on the lateral-g forums, he seems like a pleasant, down to earth guy. He does an amazing job of explaining complex theories in normal car guy terms. I am just wondering if you had the opportunity to meet him, or if you just found that picture online.

Mustanger

Reaction score
David that was an accidental post meant for another thread! I'm sorry didn't know that happened! I'll remove it right away....I never met Ron Sutton in person, heard read about him is all....lol, actually that pic is me in a 2001 Roush Stage 3 vert owned by a good friend...First supercharged car I ever drove!

RichV

Reaction score
Heard the name, but don't know of Sutton.

Would be interesting to get his view on a suspension with CMC ruleset. I would imagine roll center, COG, and weight distribution are the important factors as well as spring rates and sway bars to optimize. I know all the wining Mustang drivers max out their track width 1st with spacers, then tune the spring rates, then use sway bars to fine tune.

OP
OP
D

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Everything is worked out in concert. The individual vehicle's center of gravity, front and rear ride heigth/roll center heights. Front and rear roll resistance. Front suspension travel in dive. The tires that will be used, the slip angle and contact patch of THAT tire under THAT car. Every A-arm angle, anti-dive/squat percentage, spring rate, bar rate, shock valving, etc have to be, or at least should be, considered together.

And he has the process worked out to a science, and will walk you through it. Pretty rad stuff, easy guy to talk to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online