Anyone home make their turbo kit?

Stock982v

Reaction score
I have a 1998 gt and I'm looking to go single turbo son , and I started talking to this guy who said he homemade his own turbo kit, has anyone in here done it with a 2v , if so I have some questions!

07GtS197

Reaction score
I cant really answer your question as Ive never put together my own kit but with the price of the on3 kit you might be better off going that route. The biggest challange is getting the hotside piping installed/fabbed and your exhaust rerouted. You can get the cold side and the turbo itself for cheap but Im sure there are a lot of little intricate things youll need that might push the price up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure I could say that on3 is the best way, cheapest/easiest but from the v-band clamps to other little stuff its been known to have issues. Now piecing your own kit together would be just about exactly the opposite as it will cost more and be harder to get everything then an all in one kit but you can then be sure to get the quality you want and not buy more then one part. Do you want cheap/easy or hard/good/expensive? Good-fast-cheap pick 2.....

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
not sure I could say that on3 is the best way, cheapest/easiest but from the v-band clamps to other little stuff its been known to have issues. Now piecing your own kit together would be just about exactly the opposite as it will cost more and be harder to get everything then an all in one kit but you can then be sure to get the quality you want and not buy more then one part. Do you want cheap/easy or hard/good/expensive? Good-fast-cheap pick 2.....

I wasn't really planning to do it... But I saw someone on Facebook who had done it for his cobra , wanted to know if anyone on here has , I'm going with on3...

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I went with a CG Fab forward facing header hotside and am doing everything else myself. So besides the hot side it will be a one off setup. Any specific questions?

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
I went with a CG Fab forward facing header hotside and am doing everything else myself. So besides the hot side it will be a one off setup. Any specific questions?

I was just trying to figure out if someone had done it already , I was interested In doing it but I wouldn't have the time to do it , but it would be cool to see a build thread from you , once you start...

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I was just trying to figure out if someone had done it already , I was interested In doing it but I wouldn't have the time to do it , but it would be cool to see a build thread from you , once you start...

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?71657-My-quot-re-quot-build-thread-Trick-flow-turbo-build

That's my current build thread. I just finished up putting the long block together, but have a few pictures of the hot side mocked up. It's definitely not cheap going this route, but you'll get a setup that fits like it should. Now that I have the timing cover on I'll be starting to setup all my accessories and re-mocking up the hot side so I can get it ceramic coated...to give you an idea:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im thinking down the road, maybe a set of rear mount turbo's in place of mufflers. Ive made up my mind to have the local exhaust guy fab up all the piping...lol. Something cheap!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Im thinking down the road, maybe a set of rear mount turbo's in place of mufflers. Ive made up my mind to have the local exhaust guy fab up all the piping...lol. Something cheap!

My cousin used to have a 383 stroked Lt1 Trans am with an STS rear mount turbo setup and never really got it dialed in. It did sound awesome though

Thomas_W

Reaction score
With backward facing exhaust :undecided:

Exactly.

The last setup i made, it was $1200 for the kooks forward facing headers. Another $300 in flanges and v band clamps. Probably $300 in t bolt clamps and silicon connectors. $500 intercooler, $1200 turbo, $750-1000 in mandrel bends, $1000 in jet hot coating, $600 in braided lines and fittings, $400 wastegate and a $300 BOV.

That doesnt include the metal cutting bandsaw or $11,000 Miller tig welder, welding rod, and misc other tools to actually make all the stuff into a hot and cold section.

including the tools, im expecting the twin turbo setup on my 99GT to cost me around $10,000

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im thinking
Head to the local exhaust fabricators for them to conjour up piping a set of rear mount twins. Just redneck it up!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Im thinking
Head to the local exhaust fabricators for them to conjour up piping a set of rear mount twins. Just redneck it up!

Rear mounts are cool, but they offer up there own set of problems. Oil return for one. The other being the cold side piping. You'd essentially have to go to a single exhaust out of the headers, then a Y pipe where the mufflers are to each turbo for the hotside. Then Y both turbo end cold sides into a single and them run it on the opposite side of the trans tunnel.
Then if your looking for Big power, the lag can be pretty bad due to the lower exhaust velocity. so you have to go with a smaller turbine AR which runs out of steam at higher rpms. Lots of setup problems to overcome with rear mount setups.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I've been watching a guy on youtube concoct his own turbo for awhile. Its definitely budget oriented but was fun to see him do it. I'll post a link to the beggining of it...

[video=youtube;ilhzjNj9Hpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilhzjNj9Hpw[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online