Anyone know anything about cfi 302's?

07GtS197

Reaction score
I recently bought an 85 ltd crown vic with a cfi 302 and Im having a few issues with it. Ive only had efi cars and been around a few carb'd cars so this is new to me.

lutter94

Reaction score
Google says lots of problems. Best bet is throwing a carb and a dizzy at it. And ditching the cats if you haven't already done so.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
If I had the cash Id just throw a carb on there and be done with it, but I want to get it running better for now then drop in a carb'd 351w when I have the cash. And yes the po already cut out the cats, this is the only car I wouldnt mind having cats. Its meant to be a cruiser not a go fast car.

Im having a few problems actually. The intake tube was crumbling so there isnt one and Im thinking its screwing with the preheater and not letting in warm enough air. The little valve that closes off the intake and opens to the preheater hose does nothing. After I start the car and let it idle for a few minutes the idle will climb pretty high (no tach but Im thinking about 3k rpms) but will be fine in gear, its just in drive and reverse. The dumbass po cut out the cats and there are no o2 sensors but Im pretty sure they came with the car from factory so could this cause these strange issues? And it overheated on a drive from the east coast of florida to naples on the west coast, I later found that it was low on coolant and theres coolant under the car on the pasenger side and around the ac dryer on the hood insulation but I cant frind any coolant lines around there except the heater lines and the heater core has been bypassed. Any idea where this coolant could be coming from? The engine bay should be set up similar to a fox mustang except for the intake being on opposite sides of the engine bay. Any help would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I took it for a spin earlier and it did the high idle bs but later I went for another spin when I noticed it wouldnt repond for a split second after hitting the throttle then afterwards it idled perfectly with no high idle. Could it be the tps? A thread I found while googling the op had a similar problem and it happened to be the tps. Also itll bog when hitting the brakes hard or suddenly, could there be a vacuum leak?

lutter94

Reaction score
Whats your budget? I still feel a carb would be best. Gotta be some used parts on craigs that bolt on. Hate to see ya throw parts at it, and never get it figured out (based on reading other forums about this CFI 302)

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I really dont have much of one honestly. I live at home, make about 300 bucks a week, my cars drink gas lol, everything is far, etc... You get the picture. If I were on my own with a legit job and this being a project Id throw a carb on it and call it a day. One of my intentions for buying this car was to take it to and from the police academy (whenever I start going) because its an auto, reliable, cheap and isnt too bad on gas. It seems stupid since I could just as easily have bought a small 4 banger car but Im not into that and I wanted something I was going to hang onto. Plus Ive always wanted a box crown vic lol. Flame me all you want for buying this car but its what I wanted.

But anyway yea I know cfi's have a lot of problems but they couldnt have been bad if they were produced and are still out there so Im hopeful that this thing will run like a top soon. And Ive heard these speed density cars rely on vacuum so if anything at all messes with the vacuum it wont run right.

lutter94

Reaction score
Not tryin to hate on ya ;). Just lookin to help. Good luck with it! Hopefully more can chime in, always feels more rewarding to maintain a car you like, than to drive an eco box that blends with the rest of the crowd.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Those came with miles of vacuum lines! Vacuum tree's T-ing off all directions. Best bet is to replace all lines! Most are plastic and 30yrs old at that. Its promised vacuum leaks. Good luck man

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thanks lutter, I didnt direct that at you but I figured others would think Im a dumb kid lol. If I posted a similar thread on another forum Id probably get flamed. Actually I posted on moddedmustangs and crownvic.net and neither one got any attention, thats one reason I love this forum. And 96black5.4 Ill check for vacuum leaks everywhere and check some sensors. I jumped the obd1 test port and it made a clicking sound but no codes were flashed so Im guessing the ecu is fried. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Jgehret

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and spend some time reading over at Foxtbirdcougarforums.com

Specifically look for Jcassity. He knows tons about the cfi engine and all the inner workings of the entire cfi system. He also has a bunch of DIY links posted as his signature in his posts. You'll be reading for hours lol. Don't give up on the cfi, I pulled my 84 tbird out of a 21 year hibernation and with some minimal work (tune up, filters, removed the cfi injector output screens) it roared to life and makes ok power for what it is.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and spend some time reading over at Foxtbirdcougarforums.com

Specifically look for Jcassity. He knows tons about the cfi engine and all the inner workings of the entire cfi system. He also has a bunch of DIY links posted as his signature in his posts. You'll be reading for hours lol. Don't give up on the cfi, I pulled my 84 tbird out of a 21 year hibernation and with some minimal work (tune up, filters, removed the cfi injector output screens) it roared to life and makes ok power for what it is.

Thanks bro I really appreciate it, Ive been reading what I can in the short time I have before work lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Update: It looks like the fast idle screw was improperly adjusted. I messed with it and my ltd is running better but if I drive it the fast idle cam will stick and thats why it idles so high. Maybe it still isnt properly adjusted?

Anyway, I got a new heater core installed and added coolant and so far so good. It hasnt overheated again so I guess I fixed that too lol. I took some brake parts cleaner to the block and have most of it looking good again, no oil and sludge all over the front cover and top end anymore. Its coming along slowly. Next I have spark plugs, plug wires, various light bulbs, valve cover gaskets and an obd1 scan tool on the way. This is going to be fun lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Update: I replaced the plugs, wires, radiator cap, pcv hose and I reset the curb idle along with disabling the fast idle cam. Its running so much better, the only problem now is that it has a small idle surge after its warmed up only in park or neutral though. As soon as I shift into drive it immediately starts running fine. Most of the idle issues are due to bad o2 sensors (or in my case o2 sensor lol, just 1) so Ill go ahead and replace that along with the choke cap, reset the fast idle and see how it is. Thanks for the help guys. I might as well start a project thread for this car now lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Another strange twist, I cleared the codes then took it out for a spin. Once I got back it started surging, almost dying really, until I unplugged this red wire which I assume to be the spout connector. It immediately settled down for about a minute then started to surge again so I plugged it back in and it went away again. A little bit of a head scratcher lol. Its not bad so Im not going to worry too much, maybe replace the o2 sensor and the ect sensor since I have a new one lying around and will report back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter