Anyone know how to hookup aftermarket oil press gauge?

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
i got one from a buddie that matches my gauges i allready have. its an autometer oil press gauge, cause the stock one is crap. it is mechanical so i have to route the hose. anyone have any pics of info on how to do this?

S

scarface

just put it in the same location of the stock sending unit.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Are you sure that its a mechanical one? Most of the AM oil pressure gauges are electric,and come with a sending unit,and harness.Then you just have to run a T fitting for the stocker and autometer one. Running mechanical gauges inside the car is a mess waiting to happen...if it is a true mechanical gauge,it will have a brass fitting on the back of the guage,and they tend to always leak.....just like the fuel pressure one. Also,most tracks wont allow you to run if you have these types installed in the interior due to fire potential.

S

scarface

94twinscrew said:
Are you sure that its a mechanical one? Most of the AM oil pressure gauges are electric,and come with a sending unit,and harness.Then you just have to run a T fitting for the stocker and autometer one. Running mechanical gauges inside the car is a mess waiting to happen...if it is a true mechanical gauge,it will have a brass fitting on the back of the guage,and they tend to always leak.....just like the fuel pressure one. Also,most tracks wont allow you to run if you have these types installed in the interior due to fire potential.
true on the leaks...my floorboard in my old cornet got covered in oil from one. IF there is a plastic or copper tube it is mechanical.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Ya it has a plastic hose to a brass fitting on the rear. ??? im still lost on how to do this. i need this badly cause my stock one stopped working. I know there is a sending unit on the side of the oil pan i believe...argh..i knew this was too goo to be true

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well i wonder if i could electrical tape the shit out of the back of the fitting. it cant go on the outside. its gotta go on the inside.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Ok here we go.

If you know what the hell you are doing, they won't leak. Do yourself a favor and pick up some extra line and fittings for the gauge from the parts store.

It will look like this

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+301858&D=301858
sun-cp7554_m.jpg

Almost any of them will have them right next to those cheap ass sunpro gauges. SINCE your stock guage is pretty much useless, you can take that sending unit completely out and put in the fitting for the autometer tubing. The sending unit is just in front of the oil filter...NOT ON THE PAN (that is the low oil light). That lil kit should come with enough pipe thread fittings and adapters to screw into the stock unit's location and fit the line on. These lines seal using whats called compression fittings. You take off the "b-nut" from the fitting, drop in the small brass collar, put the "b-nut" back on slightly, insert the line into the hole, tighten down the "b-nut" snugly. Don't go ape shit with torquing it. Its brass...don't shear it off. give the line a decent tug to make sure its in there. Same goes when hooking it up to the gauge itself. You got a blower right? Did you put the boost gauge in yourself? Same thing. Route the line away from heat (i.e. headers!). I run mine straight up and back across by the fuel injectors. Now, I'm a rebel and like to live dangerously so my gauge is mounted inside. If you don't want to do that, pick up a 2 1/16" cup through summit and put it on the wiper cowl! If you don't like the idea of running nylon tubing with hot oil, you can get what I use....copper tubing. Its at the parts store as well. You can ALSO get braided steel but it pretty expensive. TIP with the copper tubing....once you get it in the fitting and tightened with the compression fitting, try NOT to bend it or wiggle it inside that fitting. It can crack, kink, or leak very easily.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
thanks man, whats the b fitting, i know there is a fitting that goes on the gauge or the motor, then there is a small cone piece..which im not sure if the tip points into the fixed fitting or away, then theres the back fitting where the hose goes... ya i have a boost gauge...ha..it was on the car when i got it, but works.

ryclef331

Reaction score
shutoff.gif

Ok, I know that a pic of under a sink but its the same thing.

When I say "B-Nut" thats the compression nut in the pic. The compression ring doesn't have a direction...they should be the same on each side....unless its been used. The inlet tube is obviously your tubing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online