Anyone know the real power numbers on s351?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Remeber back when the Saleen S351 was one of the baddest cars around? At the time, they were radical looking, and supposedly, made awesome power. For the time period.

I remember reading somewhere that the s351 engine made 535hp. Can anyone confirm if that was true? And if so, does anyone know what build they used? What were the pistons, rods, heads, cam, etc etc. Just something I've always wondered I guess.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was 505hp but it has been a long time. I had dozens of magazines with those in them and they were animals. There are a few members on here that have them but not sure how active they are anymore.

Magic

Reaction score
The Supercharged S351 cars were rated at 480 (early years)-495HP and the NA cars at 370-385HP.

The 351W shortblocks were roller blocks with stock components found in the Lightning or Cobra R 351W/5.8Ls.

Saleen used a roller cam (similar in specs to a TFS stage 2 or Stage 3), Edelbrock Performer heads (in the early years) then switched to TFS Twisted Wedge heads. They used a Lightning/Cobra R lower / 93 Cobra upper intake.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
The Supercharged S351 cars were rated at 480 (early years)-495HP and the NA cars at 370-385HP.

The 351W shortblocks were roller blocks with stock components found in the Lightning or Cobra R 351W/5.8Ls.

Saleen used a roller cam (similar in specs to a TFS stage 2 or Stage 3), Edelbrock Performer heads (in the early years) then switched to TFS Twisted Wedge heads. They used a Lightning/Cobra R lower / 93 Cobra upper intake.

So one could build something similar or slightly better, and achieve the same hp/tq numbers? Perhaps a 393

If those parts were still available.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Absolutely.

What do you mean by "if those parts were still available"?

Wasn't sure if some of them were made anymore. I'd like to build a supercharged 393 that's close to 530hp at the flywheel. So I figured if I knew exactly what they used in that build, maybe I could just mimic it. Cause I want it to be fuel injected.

Magic

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if some of them were made anymore. I'd like to build a supercharged 393 that's close to 530hp at the flywheel. So I figured if I knew exactly what they used in that build, maybe I could just mimic it. Cause I want it to be fuel injected.

Very straightforward to make that kinda power. The parts they used are available and easy to replicate, not to the T, but very close enough if not better than what was used then for what $$ you will spend.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Would it be advisable to go with a DSS block? Or did Saleen use ford blocks back then? How long can a Ford 351 withstand 530hp?

Magic

Reaction score
Would it be advisable to go with a DSS block? Or did Saleen use ford blocks back then? How long can a Ford 351 withstand 530hp?

DSS blocks are stock FORD block with some of their in house tricks. Nothing special really. A Ford 351W can hold up 530HP no problem, as long as the tune is spot on. Many have made well over 700 RWHP using a stock 351W block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online