Anyone paint their own car?

silverv6

Reaction score
Since my paint has gotten so bad due to the bad storms here in Florida g36monkey suggested we try to paint it our selves atleast until the motor swap is finished just to protect the body of the car.

My question is has anyone done this (we have a spray gun and stuff). I'm merely looking for advice to get the best finish possible. Body work and all will be done before hand. Also how would we go about "baking" the paint on?

ram360

Reaction score
I painted my old fox. Stripped it to bare metal it came out nice. Hope you like sanding, how it turn out is dependant on how good you prep is. It's a lot of work. I won't be painting another anytime soon. Body shops charge what they do for a reason. Sure will give you a whole new respect for what they do.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did my bumper , deck lid and hood. Its easy really of you understand prep work but I had to sand a lot of dust out

framda

Reaction score
Also how would we go about "baking" the paint on?

We live in Florida, turn off the air conditioning. :) Seriously I have done it in a professional booth, in a home made booth, and in a field (farm equipment.)
The main thing once you finish your body work is to keep it clean. ANY little piece of dirt will show up like Fido's ass. Areas like wheel wells, gas doors, bumpers etc. will hold dirt until you hit it with the gun and then the air flow will blow it out right onto your paint. You can make a booth out of a decent sized garage, painters plastic sheeting, HEPA A/C filters, duct tape, and some box fans. Look them up on YOUTUBE to get some pointers. Be sure to wear a respirator.

sn95jones

Reaction score
With the trouble it would take I would just pay to have it done. I'm having my hood, front and rear bumper repainted. The bumpers aren't bad but the hood has some oxidization. I was quoted $200 for the hood so for the bumpers I'm expecting $400

rollen01

Reaction score
i have painted all my cars and trucks make a plastic room out of 2x4s and 4 mill plastic add 2 to 3 box fans with air filters and a few tube lights wouldnt hurt either sand sand sand tape off wipe down and let the paint fly you will get trash in the paint but that is why you wetsand and buff or do what i have done before and paint it outside when it is sunny spray fast let sun bake and wet sand all the bugs out lol here is a stang I did for a friend
006-3.jpg

and my lowrider
007-5.jpg

and when I painted it green look on the ground you will see the overspray
008.jpg

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
I painted my old fox. Stripped it to bare metal it came out nice. Hope you like sanding, how it turn out is dependant on how good you prep is. It's a lot of work. I won't be painting another anytime soon. Body shops charge what they do for a reason. Sure will give you a whole new respect for what they do.

Well my car doesnt need a bunch of body work thankfully just sand off the old paint (which i know is a task).

I did my bumper , deck lid and hood. Its easy really of you understand prep work but I had to sand a lot of dust out

We live in Florida, turn off the air conditioning. :) Seriously I have done it in a professional booth, in a home made booth, and in a field (farm equipment.)
The main thing once you finish your body work is to keep it clean. ANY little piece of dirt will show up like Fido's ass. Areas like wheel wells, gas doors, bumpers etc. will hold dirt until you hit it with the gun and then the air flow will blow it out right onto your paint. You can make a booth out of a decent sized garage, painters plastic sheeting, HEPA A/C filters, duct tape, and some box fans. Look them up on YOUTUBE to get some pointers. Be sure to wear a respirator.

That was the plan if our buddy let us use his garage if not maybe just do it outside? im not sure..

With the trouble it would take I would just pay to have it done. I'm having my hood, front and rear bumper repainted. The bumpers aren't bad but the hood has some oxidization. I was quoted $200 for the hood so for the bumpers I'm expecting $400

because i dont wanna spend 2k on a paint job right now as im building a motor.. I would do this to save the body of the car and prevent rust from starting to form since the clear is gone..

i have painted all my cars and trucks make a plastic room out of 2x4s and 4 mill plastic add 2 to 3 box fans with air filters and a few tube lights wouldnt hurt either sand sand sand tape off wipe down and let the paint fly you will get trash in the paint but that is why you wetsand and buff or do what i have done before and paint it outside when it is sunny spray fast let sun bake and wet sand all the bugs out lol here is a stang I did for a friend
006-3.jpg

and my lowrider
007-5.jpg

and when I painted it green look on the ground you will see the overspray
008.jpg

Those look really good! What kind of paint did you use?

rollen01

Reaction score
well the green and the blue paint is a single stage with clear over it from summit racing the green was nason paint from butler paint it was a two stage urethane paint the color was 06 dodge charger sublime green with silver pearl that was the first paint job I did but I would say the summit paint is real easy to use and being it is a single stage real easy to fit any problems you might have I use a hvlp gun set at 40psi while spraying and a 8inch fan I have done plenty of other mustangs as well with this paint here is a few more all summit paint
014.jpg

009-4.jpg

002-11.jpg

002-9.jpg

022.jpg

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
Oh okay now the single stage with the clear on top was that more difficult to do then the others? So you pretty much Need it inside so wind won't blow the over spray around right?

rollen01

Reaction score
right you can paint outside but you will get alot of trash in it so their will be alot of wet sanding needed a carport would work great is you block off the sides and as far as single stage then clear just paint it let it dry in the sun for about a hour then hit it with the clear the clear helps bring the depth out and gives you more surface to wet sand and buff without burning threw the paint most of the single stage paints are 4.1.1 and clear is 4.1 so not that hard to mix just make sure you use the right reducer and activator for your temperature so the paint will not dry to fast and leave stripes all over the car and metallic paints you need to keep the paint mixed in the can while spraying or the metallic will all come out at once and look bad lol

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why do single stage with clear over top?

Seems like it defeats the purpose of single stage lol.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I painted my stuff I went to a local auto paint store and they pretty much hooked me up with everything i needed.

I went with a PPG system....it was actually 4 stages.

2 diff. primers, the color, and clear

Cost more money for materials but was still way cheaper than what shops wanted to charge me to paint one item.

rollen01

Reaction score
more depth and cheaper then a 2 stage paint and since most will paint outside or in a shed it helps to have that extra coat for the wetsanding process

rollen01

Reaction score
When I painted my stuff I went to a local auto paint store and they pretty much hooked me up with everything i needed.

Cost more money for materials but was still way cheaper than what shops wanted to charge me to paint one item.

yeah ppg is the best paint to use to lays down nice and looks great but you are right about the cost just for my ranger I spent over 600 plus in paint for PPG
but you can get a single stage for 150 and 60 for clear and with alot of extra work get a nice paint job

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
right you can paint outside but you will get alot of trash in it so their will be alot of wet sanding needed a carport would work great is you block off the sides and as far as single stage then clear just paint it let it dry in the sun for about a hour then hit it with the clear the clear helps bring the depth out and gives you more surface to wet sand and buff without burning threw the paint most of the single stage paints are 4.1.1 and clear is 4.1 so not that hard to mix just make sure you use the right reducer and activator for your temperature so the paint will not dry to fast and leave stripes all over the car and metallic paints you need to keep the paint mixed in the can while spraying or the metallic will all come out at once and look bad lol

This is the part that confuses me what do 4.1.1 and 4.1 mean? And as far as the metallic yeah i knew that im not looking to get alot of metallic in my paint. What reducer/activator would you use for about 90? Thats the average right now.

What store did you go to? How much was it? And it looks good i didnt know your car wasn't still factory paint!

yeah ppg is the best paint to use to lays down nice and looks great but you are right about the cost just for my ranger I spent over 600 plus in paint for PPG
but you can get a single stage for 150 and 60 for clear and with alot of extra work get a nice paint job

600 is still less then a decent paint job at a body shop.. i will most likely do the single stage since this would be my first time i dont wanna blow to much money and mess up haha.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I'm doing my car With PPG Deltron 2000 later this week. I'll post pictures as to how it comes out. Rollen01 has doen some great work for sure. hoping my car comes out as well as that. And yeah, sanding is your new best friend when prepping a car for paint :D

det_riot

Reaction score
Look up the "roller paint job" if you're worried about spraying it, I know more than a few people have done it and it seems like it is pretty straight forward.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldnt roll a mustang...a truck or jeep, yea.

painting a car isnt that bad, just lots nad lots of sanding....

like I said, my biggest issue was I ahd a million and a half dust particles in the paint...I would seriously say to set up some plastic and a makeshift booth.

cantbuytime

Reaction score
I have heard of people doing clear over single stage paint.. it does not weather well.. The clear will eventually start to chip off the single stage.. Maybe not every time but 8 outta 10 will..

For better color depth and more gloss. 2 stage paint with many coats of clear and plenty of wetsanding in between coats..

We have used Omni brand paint and it lays down just as good as PPG.. Its a much cheaper alternative to PPG and holds up well..

Most paints are made of the same chemicals. Just that each brand tweaks the mixture a bit. I have seen the Dupli Color Paint Shop colors they sell at Autozone and Oreillys, lay down well. I have never used it personally but seen a few guys paint their trail rigs and surprised the paint came out very nice..

Check this out..
http://www.duplicolor.com/success/stories/ZHKWcZKHrj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online