Anyone paint their own car?

rollen01

Reaction score
go with summit paint and if you hate it sand it back down and redo it lol that is the great thing about paint you can always redo it as far as 4.1.1 that is the paint ratio 4 parts paint to 1 part activator to 1 part reducer get a cup with the numbers on it this will help

stprorolla49

Reaction score
If I was you, I'd spend the extra money and go with a standard basecoat/clearcoat paint system from Dupont or PPG. Laying down the paint isn't difficult...its all in the prep work! You will sand your fingerprints off by the time your done, and if you didn't, you didn't sand enough. The Summit stuff IMO looks pretty cheap. I've seen a few cars in person with this paint, and while it may be cheap and brainless, it doesn't have nearly the depth or sheen that a nice Dupont or PPG will have.

As others have mentioned, take your time and REALLY prep your workspace. It's very important that you've made your spraying environment as clean as possible. Sand the car down OUTSIDE of your spraying area, wipe the whole thing down, then roll it into the booth, mask everything you want masked, then tack cloth the whole car THOROUGHLY!

I spray prototype models for a living, and we have a full spraybooth and we still get dust in the models sometimes, its just the way shit works when we're in a rush to get models out the door when clients are in a rush. Prep is everything! Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, you will be super satisfied looking at your freshly painted car when its all done!!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For what you're saying you want, just get a full Plastidip setup. I know there's a site that sells the dip, an electric sprayer, and even like a roll of masking tape. Just tape and spray, peel off any messups. Easy and it'll protect the car until you can afford to put it in a body shop since it sounds like that's what you'd rather do. If you want to do the work, then you might as well go ahead and paint it right too, but if you're just wanting to keep it from rusting away, I don't see why a $200 plastdip job wouldn't work.

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
I'm doing my car With PPG Deltron 2000 later this week. I'll post pictures as to how it comes out. Rollen01 has doen some great work for sure. hoping my car comes out as well as that. And yeah, sanding is your new best friend when prepping a car for paint :D

Cant wait to see how it looks! Oh i know sanding is gonna suck!

Look up the "roller paint job" if you're worried about spraying it, I know more than a few people have done it and it seems like it is pretty straight forward.

I dont think i wanna roll it i dont think it will come out the same..

I wouldnt roll a mustang...a truck or jeep, yea.

painting a car isnt that bad, just lots nad lots of sanding....

like I said, my biggest issue was I ahd a million and a half dust particles in the paint...I would seriously say to set up some plastic and a makeshift booth.

That would be the plan!

I have heard of people doing clear over single stage paint.. it does not weather well.. The clear will eventually start to chip off the single stage.. Maybe not every time but 8 outta 10 will..

For better color depth and more gloss. 2 stage paint with many coats of clear and plenty of wetsanding in between coats..

We have used Omni brand paint and it lays down just as good as PPG.. Its a much cheaper alternative to PPG and holds up well..

Most paints are made of the same chemicals. Just that each brand tweaks the mixture a bit. I have seen the Dupli Color Paint Shop colors they sell at Autozone and Oreillys, lay down well. I have never used it personally but seen a few guys paint their trail rigs and surprised the paint came out very nice..

Check this out..
http://www.duplicolor.com/success/stories/ZHKWcZKHrj

I wouldnt be opposed to duplicolor.

go with summit paint and if you hate it sand it back down and redo it lol that is the great thing about paint you can always redo it as far as 4.1.1 that is the paint ratio 4 parts paint to 1 part activator to 1 part reducer get a cup with the numbers on it this will help

Oh okay cool thanks! Sorry im a novice at this painting stuff =P

If I was you, I'd spend the extra money and go with a standard basecoat/clearcoat paint system from Dupont or PPG. Laying down the paint isn't difficult...its all in the prep work! You will sand your fingerprints off by the time your done, and if you didn't, you didn't sand enough. The Summit stuff IMO looks pretty cheap. I've seen a few cars in person with this paint, and while it may be cheap and brainless, it doesn't have nearly the depth or sheen that a nice Dupont or PPG will have.

As others have mentioned, take your time and REALLY prep your workspace. It's very important that you've made your spraying environment as clean as possible. Sand the car down OUTSIDE of your spraying area, wipe the whole thing down, then roll it into the booth, mask everything you want masked, then tack cloth the whole car THOROUGHLY!

I spray prototype models for a living, and we have a full spraybooth and we still get dust in the models sometimes, its just the way shit works when we're in a rush to get models out the door when clients are in a rush. Prep is everything! Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, you will be super satisfied looking at your freshly painted car when its all done!!

Yeah i know the dust and dirt is my biggest concern. Although i might have access to a professional booth through a contact i know through work, So we shall see how it all works out!

For what you're saying you want, just get a full Plastidip setup. I know there's a site that sells the dip, an electric sprayer, and even like a roll of masking tape. Just tape and spray, peel off any messups. Easy and it'll protect the car until you can afford to put it in a body shop since it sounds like that's what you'd rather do. If you want to do the work, then you might as well go ahead and paint it right too, but if you're just wanting to keep it from rusting away, I don't see why a $200 plastdip job wouldn't work.

Wouldnt be half bad if they made different colors and if they werent all flat..

rollen01

Reaction score
i know here where I live you can rent paint booths out but most will say no I pay 100 a day now to rent one out local bust so much easier when you have one and as far as duplicolor paint that stuff is crap in a can dont buy it I used it for a civic hatch I had and yeah that was a waste of money

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
i know here where I live you can rent paint booths out but most will say no I pay 100 a day now to rent one out local bust so much easier when you have one and as far as duplicolor paint that stuff is crap in a can dont buy it I used it for a civic hatch I had and yeah that was a waste of money

Yeah i know so im gonna see what is going on with that deal i hope i can get it for cheap or free if possible haha. I used dupicolor on my old civic si and it matched fairly well but i know what you mean, im thinking PPG since thats what everyones saying..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
silver a big thing that a lot of old school painters will tell you is ground your body!! ive seen some of the slickest street rods and musclecars ever on the show circuit and a lot of these guys would tell you the car was painted out in an old barn on a dirt floor. the trick is grounding the body to the electrical grounds of the building that you are spraying in. when the paint exits the gun and then hits the car it creates a static charge and will attract dust particles, the grounding eliminates the static charge. my best friend's dad use to have us help him with body work and paint and he never used a booth and the paint jobs were some of the slickest you will ever see. thats how he did it as well. if you build a make shift booth with the plastic sheeting for walls make sure to spray it all down with water and get it all good and wet right before you pull the car in, thats what a lot of you good painters do in the high end spray booths as well. the interiors are usually sealed and water proof so by spraying you are keeping the dust on the ground and walls from stirring while you are in there working.

hope this info helps you a little and good luck!!!!!

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
Evil that helps alot! I didn't even think about that. Now what would I ground to? And should it stay wet the entire time? If I painted it it would be in my driveway most likely..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
your house has an earth ground also known as a cold water ground. its what everything in your house including the compressor supplying your air is grounded to. you just use like a hose clamp and hook a wire to the ground then find a place on the chassis where you can get good contact. if you look around where your utilities come into the house you will see the ground.

also you are going to have major issues with getting it to dry as you have high humidity down there. when we paint we have it around 90 but we are using a heater in the building to dry the air. you want the air temp to be 90ish but low humidity so the paint will flash correctly.

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
your house has an earth ground also known as a cold water ground. its what everything in your house including the compressor supplying your air is grounded to. you just use like a hose clamp and hook a wire to the ground then find a place on the chassis where you can get good contact. if you look around where your utilities come into the house you will see the ground.

also you are going to have major issues with getting it to dry as you have high humidity down there. when we paint we have it around 90 but we are using a heater in the building to dry the air. you want the air temp to be 90ish but low humidity so the paint will flash correctly.

Ill look around and see if i can find it so all i do is literally hook it up and thats it?

Yeah i know damn Florida! =/ that's what i was worried about the drying process..

JoshHooten

Reaction score
I almost did it myself but I didn't want to setup a booth. my paint was so bad there was hardly any clear coat left on the car. So I just ended up going to maaco and
getting a $700 paintjob. yes thats right, My paintjob is a macco job 100% .I did all of the bodywork and sanding. maaco's paint jobs aren't that bad, but
they just don't prep the cars worth shit. All maacos are independently owned, so you have to find one with great reviews. I was in the same boat your in
it was going to be a couple of yrs before I could get a "real" paint job and I got tired of looking at my cars really bad paint.
I only drive my car on the weekend's and almost never during the week. It is also garage kept so Im not concerned about the single stage fading over the next couple of yrs. Now you will still get some imperfections but the way I looked at it is it would have been much worse if I did it.
all in all I am very happy.
007.jpg

010.jpg

fixed.png

mountainsn95

Reaction score
Hey this is my first car and i am going to be repainting it and it will have the same style of scheme as this schemehttp://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4001_large.jpg, but the green will be white and the black blue, i am trying to decide if i want to keep the same original white color, or the old wimbledon white and the blue i would like to either be the new dark kona blue or the old acapulco blue, just asking others what colors would look good, thanks for help

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Curious to see if you ever painted your car? Im in the process of rounding up parts for mine and then Im gonna paint it.

OP
OP
S

silverv6

Reaction score
Curious to see if you ever painted your car? Im in the process of rounding up parts for mine and then Im gonna paint it.

Not yet im getting ready to order all the parts i need ( i wanna just order them put them on and paint at once so ive been saving). And i might have found a few people that can do it through some people that i know so we shall see what they have to say =] worst case i guess i will build a make shift booth in my driveway for a day lol.

has not been done yet

YET =P We need quotes to see if its worth the risk of us messing up or not.

J.Cagle

Reaction score
If you want a could make a write up on how to do everything step by step to help you out. Ive even got some pictures I could show to help explain some stuff. Also, what ever you do, for the love of god DO NOT use some cheap ass summitt enamel! You can go to your local orielly's parts store and get NASON base/clear very reasonable. Much more user friendly and you can fix stuff alot easier later on if you need too.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Just finished mine a few weeks ago. Went with a Non Ford 2 stage color to match the Laser Red as best I can, didn't really match but I'm still happy with it.
I've got lots of other pictures so if anyone wants to see the steps from start to finish I could probably make a thread or something.

img3638oo.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online