Anyone paint their own car?

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Sure any cheap clear can spray as good as a more expensive clear, but durability is where the more expensive clears are better. As far as being chip resistant and fade resistant.

I would never take my maaco. Goodluck with that. Your paint job won't last.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Sure any cheap clear can spray as good as a more expensive clear, but durability is where the more expensive clears are better. As far as being chip resistant and fade resistant.

Actually, most higher quality clear coats will actually even spray and layout better than cheaper clears. Same goes for the base coat.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Nice job man.

Thanks brother!

Looks good and slick. What kind of paint did you use?

PPG Deltron DBU all the way. And thank you, it took me 2 day of wetsanding the whole car with 1500 wet/dry paper and then Wool/Foam with the Meg's m105/m205 twins... I was TIRED lol.

Paint pic:
img3501t.jpg

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
i always f*** up everything i try to paint lol. everything big that is. i can paint small stuff, and it usually looks pretty good. but the last time i tried to paint a hood it looked like crrrraaaaapppppp lol. i can never get the sanding done right. its always too sanded in one spot, and not enough in another, and ugh its just a mess. i truly respect anyone who can paint a car and have it look good!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i have painted all my cars and trucks make a plastic room out of 2x4s and 4 mill plastic add 2 to 3 box fans with air filters and a few tube lights wouldnt hurt either sand sand sand tape off wipe down and let the paint fly you will get trash in the paint but that is why you wetsand and buff or do what i have done before and paint it outside when it is sunny spray fast let sun bake and wet sand all the bugs out lol here is a stang I did for a friend
006-3.jpg

and my lowrider
007-5.jpg

and when I painted it green look on the ground you will see the overspray
008.jpg
you fn minitruker, lol. dam rangers have crazy negative camber when ya bag or even a simple drop. paint looks awesome dude!

J.Cagle

Reaction score
If you don;t know what you're doing, and you use cheap paint....thats what it'll turn out like ^^^

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Make sure you have a squeaky clean gun. Some trash you can't get out no matter how much you wetsand. The less trash the better.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

I needed my side exhaust side skirts painted and installed right about the time I was moving back to the midwest. I went with maaco because I could still get warranty problems taken care of if any came up after moving. 3 yrs later now and the paint looks just as good as it ever did and the install they did has held up with out problems as well. To say that they are all crap is wrong. Just like any other place there will be good and bad locations, depends on who runs it and who works there. Check the history of the shop near you, make sure they understand you are not just slapping color on it to sell it and actually care what it turns out like and you will be fine.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I needed my side exhaust side skirts painted and installed right about the time I was moving back to the midwest. I went with maaco because I could still get warranty problems taken care of if any came up after moving. 3 yrs later now and the paint looks just as good as it ever did and the install they did has held up with out problems as well. To say that they are all crap is wrong. Just like any other place there will be good and bad locations, depends on who runs it and who works there. Check the history of the shop near you, make sure they understand you are not just slapping color on it to sell it and actually care what it turns out like and you will be fine.

Exactly. Maaco painters can obviously spray well, they paint all day long. The reason their paint jobs fail is they don't prep them on the $200 job (duh, its $200) but if you pay more they will prep and do a good job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online