Anyone performed a lumbar seat repair?

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has ever repaired a OEM drivers siide lumbar seat? Can one roll up the back of the seat cover? Hear the leather/vinyl cover is glued to the foam? Any way to get in there? I am planning to have the interior reupholstered so I guess I could just cut out the back but not sure what would be the side effects of doing that? But I want to repair it before I give it to the leather shop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I replaced my seats and then tried to get anything I could for them. After they were up for weeks at $50 I decided to stripe the seat tracks off to sell($75 funny enough) and then stripped the lumbar out to put in my new corbeau's. There is a vac line that goes from the pump to the bag that I would see if you can find and if it has a hole in it before ya start taking the seat apart.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
The question is, how does one get in there to see? Does one just stick their hand up there somehow and hope to feel around? Is there some way to open the back? Roll it up? I do need to check and remind myself if it still has power. How did you strip it out?

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
pull the tabs from the bottom back, remove any hog rings, slap the hell out of it while you pull it up. that's what I remember of pulling mine apart.

Flade

Reaction score
I fixed mine years ago. It is essentially just a square bag that inflates. At the sides, (or top & Bottom I can’t remember) there are flaps. The flaps wrap around a bar and are glued together. On mine the glue had failed. I was able to reach in from the bottom put it back in place, fold over the flap and reglue it. I Used gorilla glue and a couple clips to hold it until dry.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Was on travel so was not able to respond quicker. To ttocs... I just tried the seat and I am pretty sure I heard the motor pump from the seat. I assumed years ago it was the bladder as I found a spare I purchased years ago in my "parts box". So to me, the issue was getting in there to make the repair or "see" the repair. I started to roll up the back a bit however from what I read the leather/vinyl is glued to the foam? Flade, did you pull your seat first and just fumble around in there or were you able to roll up the back enough to where you could see it?

I don't mine damaging the foam or seat a little as it is going to be reupholstered. So I was trying to fix this before that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well you will have to remove the seat no matter what but I would start by checking the vac line that goes from the pump to the motor. It might have just slipped off or cracked and broken and you can just use a little thicker line as a coupler or replace it all while it is out. Once the seat is out you should be able to see the pump and the line that goes up to the bladder.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I ripped the bladder out of a factory seat and put it in a race seat on one of my prior new edge cars. You can easily reach up there and grab it. IIRC you have to get at it from the back side of the seat back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online