Anyone put any 6.5 components in there doors?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has put 6.5 components in the doors to replace the factory speakers. I figure you just need to make an adapter plate but i want to make sure that i wont have any issues with room (mounting depth in the door and enough room for the door panel to fit back on mainly ). I was planning on making and adapter out of mdf to go from the factory speakers to 6.5 and i suppose i will have to trim the door a little to make it fit possibly. Basically all i need to do is make the outside of the plate fit the factory location and then make a hole to fit the 6.5 speaker. So if you have done it what have you used? 1/2 mdf? 3/4 mdf? or something else? Any issues? I was thinking of maybe just mounting them on the door panel but i think it would kind of look shitty being able to see the factory "grille" behind/around the 6.5's and tweeters

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have done it and my speakers are damn deep. Focal 165K2 6.5" Component set you can look up the depth on google I forget it. I bought mach460 tweeter pods, removed the tweeter and mounted mine in. I then took out the stock 5x7 which is attached to a plastic mounting plate, traced a plate out of just under 1/4" plywood, screwed it to the plastic mounting plate then installed it to the factory location, the door pannel just squeezed on and it clears the window fine when rolled down. You need to use the stock mounting plate because it keeps it away from the window. So as long as your speakers arnt any deeper then mine your good id say mine are max I have less then 1/16" to spare id say.

If you were to sit in my car you would have no idea that I have a aftermarket component set, untill I turn it on :santa_tongue:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I had a real nice Rockford Fosgate top of the line component set in my old 97 GT.
I put the 6.5s in the doors, and custom installed the tweets BEHIND the center vents. Sounded great, and very subtle.
I kept the stock tweets in the original tewwter pods as well.
That car sounded pissa!

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ok thats good to hear. Ill pry yank off the panel and check depth before i get the comps. I think i will use 1/2 mdf to make the adapter for em plus it would give me a little more depth. If i remember correctly i believe those focals are deeper than most other 6.5 components. Ill check into it thats for sure. The component set i am thinking of getting come with a flush mount and a surface mount bracket for the tweeter so i will see if i can use them to put it in the same spot as a mach 460 tweeter.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well i looked and i think your focals are just a hair under 4". What i am looking @ is around 3" so i shouldnt have any problems. Now i got to make a final decision on speakers and get an amp :banana: . I guess it will be my x-mas present to myself

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Actually pretty cheap. I know i am going to get a cadence z8000 amp to power which ever i get because it is supposed to be a great amp but it is an "old" model so they are cheap now only $175 or $180 depending on finish. (actually i have decide if i want the orange one or carbon fiber one :santa_undecided:). I am debating between cadence CWM-6 kit ($80) or get a/d/s 346cs ($200). I am really leaning towards cadences because they are very popular and the best for there price range and i would only end up w/ $255 in a decent set up compared to the $375 id have w/ the ads components. But the ads are a really good deal as they are a higher end component set. I think i will go with cadence though.

Here are the different colors of the amp

z8000cf(2)_1061_DETAIL.jpg

carbon fiber

or
Z8000_LARGE.jpg

orange

Which one would look better? I know it is kind of stupid to debate on color of amp but i have a choice so i dunno i like both :hammer:

badass98svt

Reaction score
Orange and green do not go well together.
Go with the cf
I'd go with the ads speakers though. They will last much longer and sound much better

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Have you had any experience with the cadence's? I have done a lot of reading on a car audio forum and they havent ever said a bad thing about them.

badass98svt

Reaction score
No experience with the cadences, but I've owned A/D/S and they are unreal. Ant the price you mentioned is a great deal, so why not? You definitely won't regret it.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
really... hmmm. There is a $120 difference between them but maybe i should just go with the ads's. They are made by a different company now so they have gone down in quality a little bit but they are still supposed to be good. There is also a/d/s 246ix's for $99. i have a few days to decide so i will keep looking.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Carbon fibre, cadeance are decent amps, you look into orion or ppi there nice clean amps would sound great on speakers. Like mentoned A/D/S are wicked for sound quality but there a bit pricey but worth it, personally I would spend the extra money on A/D/S, Focal, Crystal, OZ audio or CDT speakers.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
hmmm well i think you guys talked me in to ads 346cs. Should be getting paid soon and i have a week to get the ads's. I think i will stick with the z8000 amp but i will look into other options too. I dunno if i want to put in a new stereo in the middle of winter though its fucking cold outside lol. Maybe ill catch a warm day. My low budget set up went up a little bit :santa_grin:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well i am pretty set on getting the ads 346cs and powering them with the cadence z8000 amp. I just found a great deal on the 346cs! Ill know for sure in a couple of days but if not then ill end up getting them for 200 which is still a great deal. According to one place i read the msrp on them is 599 but i think they go for a little less than that.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well my amp and component set showed up the other day. Ended up going with the cadence cwm 6 component set instead of the ads 346cs. Ya the ads's are better but i got the amp and components for $230 total (got extra 10% off :bunny3: ). Ill put the money saved towards better mods. I think the cadence components will sound great. I am just waiting on the amp wiring and i will be ready to get it put in. Bad thing is i ended up w/ the amp w/ the orange covers (i swear i ordered the carbon fiber but maybe i fucked up lol). I was thinking of painting them. It is easy cuz they pop off. I was debating on either getting some dfg to match the car or maybe that mirage/color shifting paint. What do you guys think? I also ordered silver speaker wire but they sent me black instead. It isnt worth the hassle to send it back though so i am just gonna use it. You wont see much of it anyways. Here is some pics of it. Ill be sure to get pics of it once it is installed and tell ya what i think of the setup!

IMG_0451.jpg

Cadence z8000 amp
IMG_0449.jpg

Cadence z8000 amp w/ one of the covers removed. It hides the knobs for the settings kind of slick i think
IMG_0454.jpg

Cadence 6cwm 6 component set, 6.5 mid, silk tweeter and passive x-over

I am pry going to freeze my ass off putting this in but i guess i could warm the car up to keep warm lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online