Anyone run a lithium battery?

Reaction score
I didn't even know this was a thing. I was looking at AGM batteries and probably relocating it to the trunk. Then I saw there are lithium versions of our regular batteries. The pros are that they produce more cranking amps and weigh a fraction of what a lead/acid battery weighs while lasting several times longer. The con is that they are stupid expensive. But the idea of replacing that 40-50 pound block with something that only weighs 7-8 pounds is tempting.

95opal

Reaction score
I didn't even know this was a thing. I was looking at AGM batteries and probably relocating it to the trunk. Then I saw there are lithium versions of our regular batteries. The pros are that they produce more cranking amps and weigh a fraction of what a lead/acid battery weighs while lasting several times longer. The con is that they are stupid expensive. But the idea of replacing that 40-50 pound block with something that only weighs 7-8 pounds is tempting.

If you were leaving the battery up front i could see the weight saving factor. Since your relocating to trunk ii wouldnt waist money as the added weight over the rear axle is a plus.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cons - they do not like heat very much so if you put it under the hood I think they make some that are labelled "extreme duty" that have some insulation built in but of course for a price, or else add some heat shielding where you can. They can also catch fire and when lithium starts burning you need foam to put it out and even after that there is a chance it can reignite after it is put out. I just had a buddy that had his catch fire literally 2 weeks ago I think but he only uses them because he builds spl stereos which they are good for with the CCA ratings on spl burps. This has been where I have seen them used the most and most of these are not daily drivers.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
If you were leaving the battery up front i could see the weight saving factor. Since your relocating to trunk ii wouldnt waist money as the added weight over the rear axle is a plus.
Definitely better to have it over the rear axle than the front. But weight in general is bad. Knocking 30 pounds off the total weight of the car without sacrificing anything is a pretty big plus in my book. Not that I'm trying to eliminate every pound possible.
cons - they do not like heat very much so if you put it under the hood I think they make some that are labelled "extreme duty" that have some insulation built in but of course for a price, or else add some heat shielding where you can. They can also catch fire and when lithium starts burning you need foam to put it out and even after that there is a chance it can reignite after it is put out. I just had a buddy that had his catch fire literally 2 weeks ago I think but he only uses them because he builds spl stereos which they are good for with the CCA ratings on spl burps. This has been where I have seen them used the most and most of these are not daily drivers.
Eek! I forgot about spontaneous cellphone combustion. And I'm in Texas, where we have been known to have our warm days. Guess I'll stick with AGM.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
AGM is still a great battery, lithium is a step up but for every good point there are bad of course and honestly AGM doesn't love heat either. Now for brands I will say that optima doesn't make a bad battery but they are not the best like some like to think. They were at one time and I sold them back then and if we sold 50 batteries in a year we were surprised to get one back with problems. After they were sold, quality changed and suddenly we were not surprised when they started to come back more regularly. They still stand behind them and will replace them and to some people that means they are a good company but if it were me I would check out odyssey and some of the other brands.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You need to be careful if putting it in a street car. Lithium batts usually don't have the same C/10 or C/20 capacity as a lead-acid or AGM battery. Meaning if the alternator isn't functioning right, you have mere minutes remaining to drive. And in general if Lithium batts are stressed from too much vibration and temp extremes (deep winter or scorching summer) you are playing with fire, literally. They're excellent for race cars and motorcycles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.