Anyone swapped a pre 98 center console with cupholder into a 98??

9838stang

Reaction score
That could be... Come to think of it, mine was broke so that is possible why I changed it... But I think the latch system is a bit smaller... Lol I'll have to look. It has been 3 years lol

9838stang

Reaction score
Excuse the white crud on the lid, i had my pioneer remote stuck there... until the heat melted it off. But yes, all of the arm pads on of the console are interchangeable. The screw holes are in the same place.

lutter94

Reaction score
That's an interesting combo ya have there. Sure gives ya options. My biggest concern about the arm rest pad, if my pad starts to wear the SEM paint off, I was going to swap the original one back on....nice to know its an option if need be. I'll have to look at my console to see how the cup holder works, I don't think it has slots like you had to make....

lutter94

Reaction score
color transform complete.

KIMG0123_zpsmgiwdobo.jpg
KIMG0126_zpsrohamwb6.jpg

10440756_10100453164313046_8622285943201991241_n.jpg

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
I will have to post a couple of pictures when i get home this afternoon, I forgot i hadn't done that lol. The only issue, I cannot use my cigarrette/a/c port when the cup holder is out. It bolts right in and i had to just cut two small notches into the console just do the cup holder would sit flush and lay flat. The 94-97 console lids are magnetic, and the 98 -up are latch types. So i had to make a magnetic catch... I took it from the old console i robbed at U-pull

How did you get it in with the cig lighter still there? Mine won't go down all the way because of it...

I have also been trying to figure out how to make the magnetic latch work. What exactly did you do????

9838stang

Reaction score
How did you get it in with the cig lighter still there? Mine won't go down all the way because of it...

I have also been trying to figure out how to make the magnetic latch work. What exactly did you do????

I actually had to pull the cig lighter out of place, I put the center console compartment into place. Once the I had it in place. I was able to push the lighter a tab bit hard back into place

I didnt really have to modify anything on the cig lighter.

But i took the magnet from the center console, layered it up so that it would fill the place of the old latch. I ended up using the cloth electrical tape and gorilla glued it into place.

9838stang

Reaction score
I also had to slightly trim the the 98 console so that the magnet would sit up high enough i believe

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
I actually had to pull the cig lighter out of place, I put the center console compartment into place. Once the I had it in place. I was able to push the lighter a tab bit hard back into place

I didnt really have to modify anything on the cig lighter.

But i took the magnet from the center console, layered it up so that it would fill the place of the old latch. I ended up using the cloth electrical tape and gorilla glued it into place.

I also had to slightly trim the the 98 console so that the magnet would sit up high enough i believe

Gotcha. I'll have to try that. Thanks!!!

Gonna do some other things though. Putting it up on jacks right after posting this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online