Anyone try LED headlights?

venom

Reaction score
I see positive reviews on AM with Raxiom but are currently out of stock. Anyone try eBay brands?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unless things have changed recently everything I have read about them says they are brighter then halogen, just slightly less output then HID and still pretty darn expensive. I love technology like no ones business but I am not sold on them yet.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Would you want to run LEDs in standard headlight housings or in projectors?

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Picked up a set of one piece standard headlights. I am tempted to try a set from eBay that looks promising.

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Would you want to run LEDs in standard headlight housings or in projectors?
Don't take this as valuable advice, but from what I have read, they are to be used in regular reflector housings.

Not sure how clean the cutoff is in a projector, but I would think it would be sharper still.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think they work in projectors but are better in the old standard lights. Really if you want the latest/greatest headlights since we all know that they drop the panties like no other you will want lazer headlights.

[video=youtube;aXzyi6X8cZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzyi6X8cZ0[/video]

So in that video they are using lights in the projector they are designed for so its not an apples/apples comparison but as they say there, the leds are whiter but I am sure that depends on what color hid kit they are using as well

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Don't take this as valuable advice, but from what I have read, they are to be used in regular reflector housings.

Not sure how clean the cutoff is in a projector, but I would think it would be sharper still.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

This is the cutoff on the HID projector retrofit i did on my F150:

while the LED's are impressive sounding, i use some pretty high powered ones in the airplanes I maintain and operate and honestly the pentration of them is pretty pathetic. The Retrofit on my F150 was around $650 including new headlights but was completely worth it. I plan to do the same thing on my 99GT

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I went HIDs a while ago and hate them. Very bright but they don't work with my standard headlights. The light pattern is just scattered everywhere. I'm pretty sure I'm going the give LEDs a shot next.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I can appreciate being able to just run to the store and grab a bulb when one burns out. I like how the aftermarket setups are. Just to expensive and not worth the hastle for me. Essentially when one breaks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hids are not made for standard lights by any means and while I know we have people here that do it and swear no one has ever flashed them, idunno...

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive read that leds have more output but dont project the light as far as stock halogens. The po of my 02 gt wired hids in a strange way which I cant figure out otherwise Id run leds for the time being.

Sinned83

Reaction score
My buddy has them in his lightning. They look cool as far as when you look at the truck with the lights on but he was let down with the performance of them

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I think they work in projectors but are better in the old standard lights. Really if you want the latest/greatest headlights since we all know that they drop the panties like no other you will want lazer headlights.

[video=youtube;aXzyi6X8cZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzyi6X8cZ0[/video]

So in that video they are using lights in the projector they are designed for so its not an apples/apples comparison but as they say there, the leds are whiter but I am sure that depends on what color hid kit they are using as well
Looks like laser still require LEDs for low beam.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
So I got rid of my HID headlight kit and put regular bulbs back in for now. They do look like shit compared to my HID fogs. I'm looking to try LEDs now and was wondering if anyone here has any info/experience with one of the two brands I'm decided to buy from.

First up is the LateModelRestoration LED kit for $99.99
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9007LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Kit-94-04

Second is the AM Raxiom LED kit also for $99.99
http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-9007-led-conversion-kit.html

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
So I got rid of my HID headlight kit and put regular bulbs back in for now. They do look like shit compared to my HID fogs. I'm looking to try LEDs now and was wondering if anyone here has any info/experience with one of the two brands I'm decided to buy from.

First up is the LateModelRestoration LED kit for $99.99
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9007LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Kit-94-04

Second is the AM Raxiom LED kit also for $99.99
http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-9007-led-conversion-kit.html

The LMRs look identical to the Ebay ones I got for $49 and they were terrible. IMO the biggest issue with headlight LEDs is that the light emits from one direction as opposed to standard bulb that radiates 360 degrees from the bulb.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes that is exactly the down fall. They try to correct it with multiple lights and it works well on cars that are designed for them maybe like the new audi/VW as they literally sat there at one point and aimed each one exactly where they want it to be. On our cars someone stuck a bunch of them together, stuck an old plug on the end and then marked them up 20x.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Id pass on both. Ive used both brands leds (dome light, etc) and both have been hit or miss. Its thats any indication of how their headlights are then Id pass. Plus having to run a fan with led bulbs bothers me, what if one failed? Honestly Id get a projector retrofit with my hids and call it a day. I have a buddy on moddedmustangs thats willing build me a set for cheap so maybe Im biased but just look at the performance of retrofits.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Id pass on both. Ive used both brands leds (dome light, etc) and both have been hit or miss. Its thats any indication of how their headlights are then Id pass. Plus having to run a fan with led bulbs bothers me, what if one failed? Honestly Id get a projector retrofit with my hids and call it a day. I have a buddy on moddedmustangs thats willing build me a set for cheap so maybe Im biased but just look at the performance of retrofits.

+1

the retrofit on my F159 was pretty involved, but i found it fun and pretty easy. The retrofit for my 99 is going to be around $400-500, including a new set of headlights, but the performance compared to stock bulbs and the stock headlights with HID bulbs is literally like black and white.

Retrofits are really the only way to get a substantial improvement on your headlights in every way, everything else i have seen and tried only improves one aspect while degrading another.

9838stang

Reaction score
I have used HIDs in halogen housings and loved how bright it had gotten, but was sick of everyone flashing me. I went into the retrofit projector realm and loved the light output with the HIDs but i wanted more. Also it seemed like the ballast i was using would get the housing hot and would for condensation in the bucket. So i switched to LED's Here is my progress wit them
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?62670-Retrofit-projectors

[url]http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?68394-9838stang-s-Money-Pit-Pony/page3

[/URL]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online