Anyone want to guess my numbers?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GDawg said:
DropTopPony said:
you really need to get some wider meats in the rear...you should have some beef out back if you expect to get anywhere with a KB and the TQ it drops. You should invest in some 10.5 inch rear wheels and some 315 Drag Radials...then you will get some traction and won't have to play catch up. Having the stock 8 inch wide wheels/narrow tires is like launching on skinnies with a KB.

Bro... point me to some wheels and tires. Right now with these street tires (and they are great on the "twisties") I have spacers to make it look good. I'm thinking H&R Sports so I don't completely go back to stock height but not quite this low. I need a decent weight transfer. (for the engineers, I need a better vertical vector.)

My pony is a weekend car so I want to be able to put the stance at H&R Sport (a little higher but not so high as stock) and then compensate with control arms and a set of slicks for the track. I like my "corner carving" right now but I like 1/4 mile more.

What style of wheel are you into? Would you want to stay with 17 inch wheels or go up to an 18 inch? Adding a wider aftermarket wheel/tire combo will help you in the twisties and at the track with traction. Check out www.americanmuscle.com for a decent selection of wheels that fit our cars.
I would go with a 9 inch front wheel with a 255 tire and go with a 10 or 10.5 inch rear with a 315 rear tire preferably a Drag Radial since its a weekend/nice weather cruiser.
Let me know what style you are into and then we will get you on the road to traction and improved looks.

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
GDawg said:
DropTopPony said:
you really need to get some wider meats in the rear...you should have some beef out back if you expect to get anywhere with a KB and the TQ it drops. You should invest in some 10.5 inch rear wheels and some 315 Drag Radials...then you will get some traction and won't have to play catch up. Having the stock 8 inch wide wheels/narrow tires is like launching on skinnies with a KB.

Bro... point me to some wheels and tires. Right now with these street tires (and they are great on the "twisties") I have spacers to make it look good. I'm thinking H&R Sports so I don't completely go back to stock height but not quite this low. I need a decent weight transfer. (for the engineers, I need a better vertical vector.)

My pony is a weekend car so I want to be able to put the stance at H&R Sport (a little higher but not so high as stock) and then compensate with control arms and a set of slicks for the track. I like my "corner carving" right now but I like 1/4 mile more.

What style of wheel are you into? Would you want to stay with 17 inch wheels or go up to an 18 inch? Adding a wider aftermarket wheel/tire combo will help you in the twisties and at the track with traction. Check out www.americanmuscle.com for a decent selection of wheels that fit our cars.
I would go with a 9 inch front wheel with a 255 tire and go with a 10 or 10.5 inch rear with a 315 rear tire preferably a Drag Radial since its a weekend/nice weather cruiser.
Let me know what style you are into and then we will get you on the road to traction and improved looks.

That sounds good. I'm still going to swap out my Supersports (H&R Springs) with Sports cause here in Colorado I bottom out way too much.

I'll get some good wheels and tires but damn, money is tight right now. I still need to get my Dynotune. I think the next time I go to the track I will start with a lower tire pressure (like 12 psi) and dump the clutch at 4500rpms. I had tried launching at 3000rpm but still spun. On the last run I had the tire pressure down but launched at 3000rpm and then... amazingly, I missed forth... I grinded and coasted across the finish line in neutral.

But hell, it was fun! I was buzzing for days!!! :dancing6:

gt96stang

Reaction score
GDawg said:
That sounds good. I'm still going to swap out my Supersports (H&R Springs) with Sports cause here in Colorado I bottom out way too much.

I'll get some good wheels and tires but damn, money is tight right now. I still need to get my Dynotune. I think the next time I go to the track I will start with a lower tire pressure (like 12 psi) and dump the clutch at 4500rpms. I had tried launching at 3000rpm but still spun. On the last run I had the tire pressure down but launched at 3000rpm and then... amazingly, I missed forth... I grinded and coasted across the finish line in neutral.

But hell, it was fun! I was buzzing for days!!! :dancing6:

Street tires are not drag radials/slicks... keep the tire pressure up, quick spin, rev a little lower and ease out of the clutch, don't dump it...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah lowering the tire pressure on your regular street tires will probably hurt your times and make your car less stable at higher speeds. You just need to get some DR's...even if you found some cheap V6 rims and put a 275 Drag Radial on them just for using at the track.

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys...

Logically, dropping my F1s that low seems really dangerous. And hurtful to my ~$200 tires.

I'll do her up with new track tires.

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
GDawg said:
DropTopPony said:

Yeah, I like those 17" FR500s. The 9" front and 10.5" rear. What's a good drag radial? Nitto? Or is there better?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BFG and Mickey T's are better DR's then the Nitto's but any of them would be a huge improvement at the track over what you have now!

OP
OP
G

GDawg

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
BFG and Mickey T's are better DR's then the Nitto's but any of them would be a huge improvement at the track over what you have now!

Got any links?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if you are more concered about traction than getting mileage out of the tires, go with mickey Ts...if you are more worried about the tires lasting you a long time, go with Nittos...BFG is in the middle of those.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online