Anyone with a PS4 yet?

Discussion in 'Photos, Movies, and Video Game Chat!' started by Bill94vert, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Bill94vert

Bill94vert Well-Known Member

I'm torn on weather to buy one or not.. sure the graphics and speeds are greater than the ps3 but beyond this I dont know what else I see value in. If I could play all my current ps3 games on it I would buy it tomorrow but I cant.

If you have one let me know what you think and if its worth upgrading too.

2. 1997gtRioRed

1997gtRioRed Well-Known Member

dont really see why you would right now. theres only like 32 games out for it so far, the price will go down drastically over the next year or so, and there is still support/new games coming out for the ps3. so if you already have a ps3 it would be a waste of money to go and buy a ps4

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I won't be buying a new gen console for awhile. No point.
    They're still making games for my 360 and its working fine.

4. Bill94vert

my thoughts exactly..

5. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

Woah so the ps4 doesn't play older games? That sucks. I still have a bunch of ps2 games and was hoping I could play em again without having to go buy a ps2.

Does the Xbox One play 360 games? We have like 60 games and if it doesn't there's no way I'll buy one of those either.

6. MustangChris

MustangChris Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

they wont let you play old games?

Hm. sounds douchebaggy to me.

7. Orange 94

Ps3 let you play ps2? Didn't know that.
    360 let you play a select amount of Xbox games.

8. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

The first edition of the ps3 allowed you to play ps1&2 games. They did away with that though.

Not sure about the Xbox. The 360 was the first Microsoft system I bought.

9. Bill94vert

if you have a newer ps3 game and buy a ps4 you can buy the ps4 version of the game for $10 and download it

10. Venom351R

Venom351R Well-Known Member

Wow, lots of guidance needed in this thread.

1. The PS4 may not drop in price in a year or so. They will still be pushing huge sales a year from now ( the PS4 passed the 1 million units sold in North America in just a few days) And with the Europe and Japan launch coming up between weeks / months from now the PS4 will be a huge seller for much longer then a year. The PS3 price was dropped after approx a year but that was due to two factors. One being that the PS3 launched with different consoles as far as GB size so the price was different so as Sony discontinued certain models ( GB size units ) the other model dropped. There were always two different size models at a time for sale w/ the PS3 up until the slim was released then there was 3. Since there is no other GB size PS4 ( at this time so this is what we have to go on) from 2006 at its launch to 2009 the top GB model PS3 dropped a total of $200 while increasing its GB size at that time from 60 to 160. I cant find info from 2009 to 2013 but currently the PS3 is $250 with a 250GB HD. So from 2009 to 2013 it dropped an additional $150 but lets assume everyone here is looking to buy one in the next year or so. The difference w/ the PS3 and PS4 is that there is no other GB model that Sony has released so the 500GB model is the one and only top unit. The only way we will see a price drop in a year from now is if they release another model with a bigger HD and lower the price on the 500GB model but there is no indication of that at this time.

2. The PS4 cant play games b/c the processor in the PS3 ( cell Processor ) and the Processor in the PS4 ( AMD X86 8core ) are way to different thus making it so that a PS4 cant recognize a PS3 game. In order to make it so that the PS4 could play the PS3 games it would have cost $700+ and not worth it over all. If you currently have a PS3 why not just play PS3 games on that and get a PS4 for the PS4 games? Seems like a simple solution, its not like your PS3 explodes if you buy a PS4. Also in 2014 Sony is releasing the online service so that the PS4 can play PS3 games which takes care of the backwards compatibility issue.

As far as who has one I do and its AWESOME. So much faster then the PS3 and I like the UI much better then the XMB. I like being able to exit out of games and navigate the UI much more so then what you were able to do w/ the XMB. The Graphics are deff improved and will only continue to get better as developers have more time w/ the system and I have yet to play a first party game which are the ones that will really show what this system is capable of. Cant wait to get my hands on The Order 1886 which is being done by Sony Santa Monica. Ive had no issues w/ the system despite peoples concerns with launch systems but mine has been great and I have played a TON of hrs on it since release night, the total hrs is not the big deal b/c the PS3 has a lot more on it but its at the length of time Ive been playing at a time and its run w/ out a hitch.

My conclusion. If you dont want to wait for a price cut which might or might not come a year from now ( keep in mind to that the XB1 has to drop in price by $100 to even be even w/ the PS4 so Sony has that going for it as well as far as not needing to drop its system price to be competitive) and you h

ave the money for it and there are games that you want to play then go get one ( if you can find one) its an awesome system. With games like The Order 1886, Tom Clancy's The Division, Watch Dogs and others all coming out between now and next spring I dont see how anyone could wait lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Steve@CJPP

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Love my PS4 and AC 4 is freaking awesome, I came over from 360. I gave mine to my daughter so she can keep playing minecraft and watching videos. I don't miss XB at all. Oh and FYI last I heard XB1 won't play 360 games either so it's a next gen thing not a PS4 thing.

12. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member SN95 Supporter

I'm really wanting one of these. I haven't had a game system since mid 90's when my son was little but I want one of these for myself.

Thanks for the education :)

13. Bill94vert

$700 to make it backwards compatible where did you get this number from? If Sony would of spent a more time on this they could of made it happen someway with either up scaling or possibly detuning the processor went a ps3 game is inserted.

Someone would have to really like gaming (or single) to justify having both system and swapping back and forth.

This online service is news to me though, got any more info?

14. Orange 94

Prices will drop.

I still don't see a point in upgrading. My 360 still plays gta5 and cod.

15. Venom351R

Sony never said that its just a random number I threw out to make my point. In order for the PS4 to play PS3 games you would need a Cell Processor and an AMD X86 processor in the system. The PS3 when it was released was $600 mostly due to the cost of the Cell processor and the PS4 is cheaper b/c the AMD X86 processor is more of a common mainstream PC component. If you think it would not cost at least $700 for the PS4 to play both system games while having both processors Id like to see your explanation why.

The online service is Gaikai that Sony bought back in 2012.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-of-the-year-gaikai-coming-to-the-us-in-2014/

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Gaikai_Integration

This is why the PS4 is not backwards compatible. Sony was able to sell us a cheaper system at the start w/ the expense of not being able to play PS3 disc based games but also giving us an online feature in the near future to remedy the situation. Why anyone would want to play PS3 games on a PS4 is beyond me

16. Venom351R

No the XB1 wont play 360 games. I dont blame Sony or M$ for trying to push people to the newer systems but overall Sony has been more backwards compatible friendly then M$ has ever been.

17. Venom351R

if thats all you play and none of of the new games for the current systems that are coming out soon interest you then there is no need to.

18. Orange 94

I'm pretty sure forza is coming out for 360 right?

If so I'm set for years! I'll eventually get ps4 for turismo.

19. Venom351R

Been to IGN and GameStop and I have not seen Forza 5 listed for the 360 anywhere so I think your out of luck. That's another reason why I hate M$, the support for their out going console is horrid. Gran Turismo is coming out for the PS3 NOT THE PS4, think about that one lol.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-Forza+5,28zu0

http://www.ign.com/games/forza-motorsport-5/xbox-one-169062

20. Orange 94

Wait. Your right forza 5 isn't for the 360... Where did I see my info? Guess I'm not getting it!
    So turismo is only ps3? Maybe I'll buy a ps3 since they'll be cheap...